Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

English Translation of Telugu/Hindi/Sanskrit Devotional Songs

Bhakthi Saints like Saint Thyagaraja, Annamacharya, Sri Ramadasu, Sri Purandaradasu and their ilk have done yeoman service to the society by radiating pure love in all directions; propagating Bhakthi(selfless love towards Universal Mother and Self-Surrender) and most rational philosophies like Vedanta in a language understandable to common man.

Sri Jagadguru Adi Shankara Bhagawad Pada, who gave life-breath to Vedic Religion, when it was on the brink of Extinction; though proposed 'Jnana Marga'(Path of Knowledge), is also credited for laying a strong foundation for Bhakthi(Devotion).

Sri Ramanujacharya is regarded as the first notable Bhakthi Saint by Historians. His work later spread through out India and was taken up by many great Saints like Guru Nanak, Namdev, Sri Chaitanya, Tulsidas, - - - For many years, Pandaripur became the nerve center of Bhakthi Movement during Medieval period.

" - - - of the Vedas, I am the Sama Veda (Knowledge of Music) - - - " - Bhagawad Gita

“Naham Vasami Vaikunthe, Na Yogi Hridayeravau, Madbhakta Yatra Gayanti, Tatra Tistami Narada”- Padma Purana

“Narada, I am not in my abode Vaikuntam, nor in the hearts of the Yogis.
    But, wherever My devotees gather to sing my glories with utmost yearning/longing, there i will be, seated”

"Whatever thing is glorious, excellent or preeminent, verily, know that is born of a portion of My splendor." - Bhagawad Gita

P.S: Classical Music (Indian/Western) has got such a soothing effect on the mind; at once the person forgets all his/her worries/problems and finds himself/herself at Peace. Even a person bent on committing suicide/murder will reconsider his/her decision.
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 02-08-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Inserted Jagadguru prefix to Sri Adi Shankaracharya
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

BrOchevaarevaruraa - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

Who else, but you, is my saviour, O descendent of Raghu.

I cannot leave your lotus like feet, O treasure of mercy.

The one worshipped by great ones like Brahma, why are you so aloof?

You are the one who can save me.

If you yourself show aloofness, what can I do?

My diction is inadequate to praise and sing your glory, I am in such a poor state.

Please clear my worries and grant my wishes and save me.

O Lord of Sita, don't you have any affection towards me?

O the one whose feet are worshipped by Hanuman, why don't you listen to my lamentation?

Aren't you the vishNu who gloriously saved the elephant Gajendra?

Cleansing me of all my sins, holding my hand firmly, without leaving it, who else will save me, other than you?

- Sri Thyagaraja ( 18th Century)

Saint Thyagaraja Aradhana Festival - Thiruvayaru

"Bhakti, love of God, is the essence of all spiritual discipline. Through love one acquires renunciation and discrimination naturally." - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 03-08-2010 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Inserted Hyperlink for Thyagaraja Aradhana Festival
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Enta matramuna - Sri Annamacharya Kirtana

O Lord! You are to different people as to what they think you are. However, the deeper one's heart envisions You, the more Your grace is felt!

Vaishnavas pray with much devotion believing You profoundly to be Lord Vishnu;

Those who follow Vedanta say that you are the parabrahmam(Consciousness - brahman);

Shaivites and some others deem You as Lord Shiva;

Kapalikas pray and revere You as Adibhairava;

Shakthites presume You to be the incarnation of Shakthi;

And many others view you in many different forms

You bless all of them in the form they desire You to be in!!

In this way, Your devotees revere and prostrate before You, giving you the form and shape they wish to see You in.

To those devotees who pray for worldly things, you bestow those to them;

Likewise, those who revere you with high esteem, You are the greatest and all-in-all (Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient) for them.

There is no dearth of anything if You are beside me!

Just as a lotus plant creeps all over the span of water (in a pond/lake/river) leaving no space for anything else, Just as the wells around the great Bhagirathi (Sacred Ganga) river never dry up (because the wells are always fed with water from this river beside);
    (I pray to You, O Lord! Please be beside me!)

If YOU are the Lord incarnated on the Venkatadri mount, YOU are bound to be by my side!

It is You, O Lord, who have made me to become Your devotee;

It is You, O Lord, who have knocked my doors only to grant me the Protective Asylum under Your Lotus Feet;

You are the ONE who enlightened me;

This is the eternal bliss for me!

This is the Para-Tattvam for me!

This is my moksha-marga (path to salvation)!

- Sri Annamayya (15th Century)

P.S: Sri Annamacharya composed about 32,000 songs on Lord Venkateshwara, out of which only 12,500 are available to this day.

Willing to share audio tracks along with meaning; all those interested can mail me at rajasekhar_cognizant@yahoo.com
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 03-08-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Inserted Youtube link for the song
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sri Gananatham - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

I worship Lord Ganesha, who bestows prosperity and the results of the desired goals removing all obstacles.||

I worship Lord Ganesha, who is elder brother to Lord SubrahmaNya;
    who is always worshipped at the invocation of any ceremony;
    who is the beloved son of Lord Shiva – the poison throated;
    who is the bestower of all auspiciousness to those devoted to Him.||

I worship Lord Ganesha, who is the enjoyer of the music;
    who wears tinkling ornaments of gem stones;
    who is as great as AnjanEya;
    who speaks sweetly;
    who has face of an elephant;
    who looks after this ThyagarAja.||

- Sri Thyagaraja (18th Century)
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 03-08-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Font Colour editing
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    student of vihe,

If you translate Thiagaraja Keertanas in to English and post it here, it will be nice. I don't know Telugu but I enjoy the songs very much. You can even think of uploading a PDF file, it will be nice.

All the best
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Darshan Do Ghanshyam - - - - Written by Sri Gopal Singh Nepali

O Lord Ghanashyama (one dark as a raincloud - Lord Krishna)!

Please give Thy vision (as) my eyes are thirsty.

Light the temple of my heart, O Thou who are in every Ghata (pot(body) - Omnipresent).

Thy idols are found in every temple, yet Thy (actual) face is not seen anywhere.

Ages have gone by, yet the full-moon (night) of (our) meeting has not come yet.

When Thou openest the doors of (Thy) Compassion, the dumb sing the loudest of the seven notes, the blind see, and the lame walk all the way to Kashi (Varanasi)!

(I) drink water to slake my (physical) thirst, but how to explain to my eyes! (how to quench their thirst to see you).

Give up this hide-and-seek now, O dweller of (everyone's) heart!

O Lord Ghanashyama! Please give Thy vision....

- Sri Gopal Singh Nepali

"One must have childlike-faith and the intense yearning that a child feels to see its mother. That yearning is like the red sky in the east at dawn.. After such a sky the sun must rise. Immediately after that yearning one sees God.

Let me tell you the story of a boy named Jatila. He used to walk to school through the woods, and the journey frightened him; One day he told his mother of his fear. She replied: 'Why should you be afraid? Call Madhusudana.' 'Mother,' asked the boy, 'who is Madhusudana?' The mother said, 'He is your Elder Brother.' One day after this, when the boy again felt afraid in the woods, he cried out, 'O Brother Madhusudana!' But there was no response. He began to weep aloud: 'Where are You, Brother Madhusudana? Come to me. I am afraid.' Then God could no longer stay away.. He appeared before the boy and said: 'Here I am. Why are you frightened?' And so, saying He took the boy out of the woods and showed him the way to school. When He took leave of the boy, God said: 'I will come whenever you call Me. Do not be afraid.' One must have this faith of a child, this yearning.” - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    darashan do ghanashyam naath mori, ankhiyan pyaasi re
    mann mandir ki jyoti jagaado, ghat ghat basi re

mandir mandir murat teri
    phir bhi naa dikhe surat teri
    yug bite naa aai milan ki
    puranamasi re

dwaar dayaa kaa jab tu khole
    pancham sur mein gungaa bole
    andhaa dekhe langadaa chal kar
    pahunche kasi re

paani pi kar pyaas bujhaun
    nainon ko kaise samajhaaun
    aankh michauli chhodo ab
    man ke basi re

nibarl ke bal dhaan nidharn ke
    tum rakhwaale bhakt janon ke
    tere bhajan mein sab sukh paun
    mite udasi re

naam jape par tujhe naa jaane
    unako bhi tu apanaa maane
    teri dayaa kaa ant nahin hai
    he dukh nashi re

aaj phaisalaa tere dwaar par
    meri jit hai teri haar par
    har jit hai teri main to
    charan upaasi re

dwaar khadaa kab se matavaalaa
    maange tum se har tumhaari
    narasi ki ye binati sunalo
    bhakt vilaasi re

laj naa lut jaaye prabhu teri
    naath karo naa dayaa mein deri
    tin lok chhod kar aao
    gangaa nivasi re
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 03-08-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Inserted Youtube link and quotation of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shri RVRji

I have translated some of the Saint Thyagaraja's Kirtanas into English in the past two years; along with other Telugu Bhakthi saints like Annamacharya, Sri Ramadasu etc. I have translated some of the sanskrit kirtanas using online Sanskrit dictionary, however in that process have gone for corroboration with some other already existing translations.

Pranams
    Rajasekhar

Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    student of vihe,

If you translate Thiagaraja Keertanas in to English and post it here, it will be nice. I don't know Telugu but I enjoy the songs very much. You can even think of uploading a PDF file, it will be nice.

All the best
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 02-08-2010 at 07:35 PM.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sri Rajasekar,

Do you have full translation of `Nidhi saala sugama' of Tyagayya

All the best
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Devadi Deva Sada Shiva - Sri Thyagaraja Kirtana

O Supreme God. O God of Gods. O Lord Shiva.
    O Protector of the Universe.
    Mine of nectar (divine bliss).
    One with omnipotent third eye, when opened, reduces everything to ashes.||

O Lord of Lords! O Father of all!
    The Highest goal to be aimed at..
    One who is always in the state of equality and mental tranquility.
    Embodiment of qualities: Saguna(with form) and Nirguna (without form).
    O Lord of Gauri (Parvathi).||

The Source of all. One with a crescent moon as ornament.
    Black throated one(one who saved the beings by storing the deadly poison in his throat).
    With the radiance of crores of Suns appearing together.
    One praised by Lord Vishnu..
    I beg for single pointed devotion at your feet, O Friend of the poor and the helpless (Dinabandho).
    One with a smiling face.
    O Lord, praised by Thyagaraja||

- Sri Thyagaraja ( 18th Century)

YouTube - DEVADHI DEVA- M S SUBBULAKSHMI

"The Eternal Religion, the religion of the rishis, has been in existence from time out of mind and will exist eternally. There exist in this Sanatana Dharma all forms of worship-worship of God with form and worship of the Impersonal Deity as well. It contains all paths-the path of knowledge, the path of devotion, and so on.” - Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

P.S: Lord Shiva’s worship dates back to 5000years ago and beyond. The Lord of Renunciation-The King of Yogis fondly called as "Bhole Nath" - Kind hearted one, who is ever eager to bestow boons.

Shivaya Vishnurupaya
    Shivarupaya Vishnave
    Shivashya Hrudayam Vishnu
    Vishushya Hrudayam Shivaha

Shiva is none other than Vishnu
    Vishnu is no other than Shiva
    Shiva resides in the heart of Vishnu
    Vishnu resides in the heart of Shiva
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Devadi Deva Sadashiva
    Dinanatha Sudhakara Dahana Nayana||
    Devesha Pita maha MrIgya Shama
    Digunabharana Gauri Ramanna||
    Bhava Candrakaladhara Nilagala
    Bhanukoti Shankasha Shrisha-Nuta
    Tava Pada Bhaktim Dehi Dinabandho
    Darahasa Vadana Tyagaraja-Nuta||
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 03-08-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Font colour editing
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry sir. I don't have it.

Sri Thyagaraja is a vast ocean. Drinking just one sip of that ocean took me to ecstasy. My all time favourite kirtana is 'Jagadanandakara' which i think have listened more than thousand times. I simply left for Tiruvayaru/Tiruvarur myself all alone three years back, to pay homage to such a great Composer.

It's really sad to know that most of the younger generation are not aware of these songs. I myself, came to know about them five years back when my sister(learning Carnatic classical) introduced them to me.

Will try to understand the song and post the meaning soon.

May Saint Thyagaraja and Mother Saraswathi bless me with Wisdom.

With Respect and Regards
    Rajasekhar

P.S: I am very younger to you in age, you can address me only by name.

Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    Sri Rajasekar,

Do you have full translation of `Nidhi saala sugama' of Tyagayya

All the best
    Last edited by StudentofVihe; 02-08-2010 at 10:14 PM.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast