• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Empowering Poor and Downtrodden People

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVR

Dear Friends,

I am starting this thread mainly to overcome the problem of the present poor and downtrodden people belonging to all religions, languages and off course castes. They are struggling for day to day living and they don’t have any clue as to how to overcome their present problems.

They are exploited by politicians belonging to all political parties as a vote bank

They are exploited by their own caste leaders for their own narrow ends.

They are exploited by foreign religions to implement their agenda.

According to World Bank Study 42 percent of the people are living with income below US 1.25 $ per day in India.

Poverty threshold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please read the following sentences in the above link

“India's official poverty level, on the other hand, is split according to rural vs. urban thresholds. For urban dwellers, the poverty line is defined as living on less than 538.60 rupees (approximately USD $12) per month, whereas for rural dwellers, it is defined as living on less than 356.35 rupees per month (approximately USD $7.50).[10] By this measure, only 27.5% of Indians live in poverty,[citation needed] whereas by the World Bank standard of $1.25 per day, 42% of Indians live in poverty[citation needed] - this is the third highest rate in South Asia after Bangladesh and Bhutan”

Since literacy level is very low among the above, they can be instigated very easily by those who want to exploit them. In the last six decades plus (after independence), they have been successfully instigated by vested interests to achieve their own agenda.

In the neighboring Kerala it was a class struggle between two national parties. In a class struggle, entire people are winners at the end of the day if they get economic prosperity and there are no losers.

In Tamilnadu it is a caste struggle involving two regional parties. Since caste is eternal and could not be erased, the struggle will go on for ever and there may be winners as well as losers at the end of every round.

Our community people in Tamilnadu have withdrawn from the battle without any collective decision, but individually started looking after their interests. Personally my family vacated village during my generation and my children are now vacating India itself. In spite of all the reservation problems in education and employment, we manage to survive and also prosper. But society at large continues to struggle and virtually doesn’t have any clue to get out of the present mess.

Personally I have spent my whole life within Tamilnadu and successfully managed both class struggle and caste struggle. Class struggle in the sense agricultural land ceiling laws and caste struggle means reservations. Even my children have practically overcome the reservation problems and have moved outside the country. I am also on the verge of my retirement. Since I am self employed, retirement seems to be a day dream with none of my children joining my business. God only knows when I will get some rest. I am not bothered about it and would like to work continuously as long as possible.

But both necessity and desire for money has come down drastically and only social work satisfy me more than the regular business.

There may be others like me in this forum who have similar objectives. There are quite a lot of youngsters and middle aged people in our forum wanting to do some thing to the society at large.

Why not we collectively pool all our energies and do some thing for the society. When I say society, it includes all poor and down trodden people mentioned above irrespective of religion, caste, language etc.

Let us try to unite all such people and try to help them to come up in the ladder. Please don’t bother about money as it could be raised from various sources out side this forum. But all of us may have to spend some time for the cause.

Please think over and express your views so that we can evolve a strategy to take it forward.

All the best

Last edited:
"the Road less travelled" is always going to be difficult, but highly fulfilling, the journey will become meaningful: totally with you, Sri RVR, and thank you for the noble thoughts. associated in a small way with 'AmarSevaSangam', and as a trustee of a special children's rehabilitation centre, and as a consultant&associate with a Group working for empowering and building up confidence levels of orphanage children, and as visiting friend in senior citizens homes and facilities of various 'categories' in a few places, i fully appreciate the value content of your thoughts, and thank you sincerely for sharing the thoughts in the above well expressed post: regards, namskarams: rj.

Thanks Rajuvish,

We shall discuss further and evolve a strategy.

All the best
"the Road less travelled" is always going to be difficult, but highly fulfilling, the journey will become meaningful: totally with you, Sri RVR, and thank you for the noble thoughts. associated in a small way with 'AmarSevaSangam', and as a trustee of a special children's rehabilitation centre, and as a consultant&associate with a Group working for empowering and building up confidence levels of orphanage children, and as visiting friend in senior citizens homes and facilities of various 'categories' in a few places, i fully appreciate the value content of your thoughts, and thank you sincerely for sharing the thoughts in the above well expressed post: regards, namskarams: rj.

Sri RVRji

Would like to join hands with you for such a noble cause. Alas! Got selected as Central Government Employee four months back, still awaiting for the joining letter. Father retired last month. What a sorry state of affairs in public sector!!!

"Calm and silent and steady work and no newspaper humbug, no name-making, you must always remember this. Go, all of you, wherever there is an outbreak of plague or famine, or wherever the people are in distress, and mitigate their sufferings. At the most, you may die in the attempt. What of that? How many like you are taking birth and dying like worms, every day? What difference does that make to the world at large? Die you must, but have a great ideal to die for, and it is better to die with a great ideal in life. Preach this ideal from door to door and you will yourselves be benefited and at the same time, by doing good to your country. On you lies the future hope of our country. I feel extreme pain to see your leading a life of inaction. Set yourselves to work - to work! Do not tarry - the time of death is approaching day by day! Do not sit idle, thinking that everything will be done in time, later. Mind - nothing will be done that way."

"Even the least work done for others awakens the power within; even thinking of the least good of others gradually instills into the heart the strength of a lion. I love you all ever so much, but I would wish you all to die working for others - I should be rather glad to see you do that!"

"Feel, my children, feel; feel for the poor, the ignorant, the downtrodden; feel till the heart stops and the brain reels and you think you will go mad — then pour the soul out at the feet of the Lord, and then will come power, help, and indomitable energy."

- Swami Vivekananda

With Respect and Regards,
Rajasekhar

Last edited:
Rajasekhar,

Swami Vivekananda is a progressive Hindu monk with an out of box thinking ability.

I have full works of Swami Vivekananda (off course no time to read all) in eight or twelve volumes.

I am also a life time subscriber to Ramakrishna Vijayam Tamil monthly.

Sri Ramakrishna Vijayam - August 2010 Issue

There is an interesting article in the recent August 2010 issue on `How to Enrich Hinduism by Swami Atmarananda' in page 10 onwards. The article is in Tamil and also claims that it is a translation from English. It may be available in their Telugu publication also. Please try to locate and read it.

Mahatma Gandhi said `His love for the Mother country increased 1000 fold after reading Swamy Vivekananda's books'

Please enlighten us with Swami Vivekananda's speeches regularly.

All the best

Dear RVRJi,

i want to learn Tamil. Downloaded one useful pdf, got the print out of it; Colloquial Tamil: the complete course for beginners

By reading Swami Vivekananda literature, i could able to counter all my inferiority complexes, phobias, negative emotions - - - by pouring super-powerful ideas into my mind.

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa can be considered as Modern Sage; without reading his life/teachings the modern younger generation may find it difficult to understand the essence of scriptures in true sense.

I am a life time subscriber to 'Ramakrishna Prabha' a Telugu Monthly, started by Ramakrishna Math Hyderabad in 2008.

My Five year association with Ramakrishna Math has brought a new meaning and perspective into my Life.

With Respect and Regards
Rajasekhar
One more soul in God's Creation

Last edited:
Sri.RVR,

I may be groping in the dark here......I shall present my mind anyway. How about we choose a village; build a library and donate couple of computers (provided some one volunteers to look after and make sure students use the facility for education purposes; and all the needy students get fair chance to use the facility.....I don't know...as I said, groping in the dark. Is it something applicable?

Cheers!

Sri Raghy,

In my native village with the help of Sun Micro Systems, computers were installed.

In the Pazhaverkadu school, we installed computers with the help of KPMG - International consulting firm.

We have to select a known school in a rural area which will maintain the computer system. If they are not properly maintained, everything will go waste.

Any way let us try to locate a proper school.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back