• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Yajur veda sandhyavandanam - procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaste

Thanks for sharing a useful pdf, explaining the meaning behind Sandhyavadanam Procedure. We are part of Yajur Veda (Smartha) tradition.

May the Omnipresent, Omnipotent, Omniscient, effulgent Divine Mother Gayatri bless all of us with 'Right Understanding and Clarity of Thinking.'

With respect and regards
Rajasekhar

Congrats Balajee Iyengar,

A superb job very well done. I went through the whole text and found it flawless. As a practising Brahmin, i can vouch for its utility.

The portion after Dasha Dikh Vandanam (for we smartas) seems to be slightly different. Yama Vandanam (Yamaya Dharma Raaya) is chanted facing south. It is followed by Keshava Vandanam (Ridagum satyam) chanted facing west.Then (Narmadayay Nama Pratha) is chanted facing north. Then (Nama savitre ) is chanted facing east during pratasandhya and madhyanikam and facing west during evening sandhya.

Please clarrify
Sundaresan Sures

Dear Sundaresan sir

You are exactly right. We do like that only. Yama for south. Narmada for north. Then the surya vandana will be done according to the direction (e or w).

Pranams

Dear Sundaresan Sures

I have always been Reciting Narmadayay Namaha Prathar in the West and Ritagum Satyam facing North ( in fact many sandhyavandanam books suggest the same ) , you have however mentioned that the other way round , can you kindly clarify please?

Thanks & Regards

N.Narayan

Dear Sir,

Please refer to any standard book on Yajur veda Sandhya vandanam. It is the way I had written and practise. You may also refer to Sandhya Vandana Bhasyam a Ramarksiha mutt publication.

Sundaresan Suresh

Congrats Balajee Iyengar,

A superb job very well done. I went through the whole text and found it flawless. As a practising Brahmin, i can vouch for its utility.

The portion after Dasha Dikh Vandanam (for we smartas) seems to be slightly different. Yama Vandanam (Yamaya Dharma Raaya) is chanted facing south. It is followed by Keshava Vandanam (Ridagum satyam) chanted facing west.Then (Narmadayay Nama Pratha) is chanted facing north. Then (Nama savitre ) is chanted facing east during pratasandhya and madhyanikam and facing west during evening sandhya.

Please clarrify
Sundaresan Sures
Apastamba sutra prescribes only south and north during the morning and noon sandhyavandanam; instead of east in the morning the same mantras are to be chanted facing the sun in the west during the evening sandhyavandanam. The sloka "narmadayai namaH..." is also not there in this paddhati.

Can someone help me on this matter. The part of yama vandana and narmada vandana is this specific to south Indian tradition? Has the yama vandana anything to do with kayashta brahmins, because Chitragupta is the ancestor of the Kayashta clan? I personally, am not Kayashta. Or is this yama vandana universal for all clans?

Can someone help me on this matter. The part of yama vandana and narmada vandana is this specific to south Indian tradition? Has the yama vandana anything to do with kayashta brahmins, because Chitragupta is the ancestor of the Kayashta clan? I personally, am not Kayashta. Or is this yama vandana universal for all clans?
I belong to Sankriti Gotra, Apastamba Sutra, (Krishna)Yajurveda. We have the dig vandana in which Yama is addressed as the lord of the South Direction with the verse starting, "yamAya dharmarAjAya...", if that is what you refer to as yama vandana. narmadA vandanam is not included in our family custom; so it does not form part of our sandhyAvandanam.

As far as I know prayer to yama is common for all.
I think you refer to "Narmadayey nampradaha, narmadayay namonnichihe...", which is specific to either some gotras or sutras. We are sama vedis and mother paternal line too are samavedis, but this "narmada vandana" is not prescribed by our upadhyayas, but my maternal cousins belonging to Harita gotra recite that.
Incidentally this prayer to narmada can be recited before one goes to sleep. I do not know the significance.

Please check with someone more knowledgeable.

Rgds,

Swami

Thank you for the response. I have not found the yama vandana nor the narmada vandana in north Indian viddhis for Sandhya Vandana, also the digvandana etc is absent in north Indian viddhis. The reason I thought that maybe the yama vandana was specific to kayashta clan is because of this information: Kayastha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But ofcourse, I cannot make any conclusions based on that.

Thank you for the response. I have not found the yama vandana nor the narmada vandana in north Indian viddhis for Sandhya Vandana, also the digvandana etc is absent in north Indian viddhis. The reason I thought that maybe the yama vandana was specific to kayashta clan is because of this information: Kayastha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia But ofcourse, I cannot make any conclusions based on that.
Yes, it is true that Kayasthas trace their origin to Yama.

The narmadAstuti is usually recited by rigvedis and some sutras of yajurveda. What are your sutra and veda? Just for info. pl.

My gotra is sandilya which is associated with samaveda and gobhila sutra, but the tradition of following a particular sutra or shakha doesn't exist in my family. I am also from north Indian descent and living now in the Netherlands. In north Indian books of Sanatan Dharma you can find that most varieties of sandhyavandana are a mixture of shruti, smriti, purana and tantra and not very strictly from one sutra or shakha.

Last edited:

Are kayasthas included in the brahmin fold? I had a feeling that kayasthas that they are like the mudaliars of south, they are not of course considered kshatriyas. Please correct me if I am wrong.

With regards,
Swami

I have no more knowledge on this topic than what I have read on wikipedia. The reason I looked it up was because I read somewhere that vivekananda was kayashta.

I have no more knowledge on this topic than what I have read on wikipedia. The reason I looked it up was because I read somewhere that vivekananda was kayashta.
Kayasthas are not brahmins. They are a separate category who reportedly found favour as accountants during the Moghul rule.

As far as I know, Yama Vandhana and Narmada Vandana are included in Dakshina Sampradaya in Sandhyavandhanam, following Dik Vandhanam. Yama is Dharma Swaroopi and there is a prayers for snakes to go away without harming the person in Narmada Vandhana!

Kayasthas are not brahmins. They are a separate category who reportedly found favour as accountants during the Moghul rule.

They also took up the role of intermediaries and dubashis...

Swami

Yajur veda sandhyavandanam - procedure Preview

Sri Sahasranama,
Yes, Not only Swami Vivekananda was a Kayastha, but there are other great names in spiritual field like Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Arabindo Ghose, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. A.C.Bhaktivedantha Swami Prabhupada (ISKCON), Paramahansa Yogananda belong to Kayastha community. Members of the Kayasta community claim that they are Brahma/Kashatriyas and draw their lineage from Chitragupta, official scribe of Yamadharma. Educationally advanced and Politically influential Caste spread over entire North India - Assam, Bengal, Bihar, MP, UP, Punjab, Rajastan, Gujarat and Maharashtra. They are equal to Karnikar, Pillai and Mudaliyar in South, who took care of Administration and accounts of the kingdoms of yore.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back