• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

IYER POEM..A time line of Iyer life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received in mail inbox.

IYER POEM..A time line of Iyer life

All these mamas and maamis have come here...
For a grand welcome of their new born fellow Iyer...
And my parents will feed food to me with a ring...
And give me a name long enough for you to sing...
(Krishnamoorthy Venkataraghava Madhava Doraiswamy,
but will simply call me Dorai!)

Topping my class is an inborn talent I possess
(We are an exception)
Teachers & relatives, whom I never fail to impress
Daily dosage of idli, dosai, sambar, rice and curd
Who on earth do you think will not turn into a nerd(hehe)

(Just after graduation... preferably Electronics Engineering)
Yipeee Yipeee Yipeee... I completed my BE in IIT...
Also got a call from Infy...Ya right...Narayana Murthy...
( Proud fellow...Southie ! )
Up & Away to Bangalore by the next morning flight...
And then someday to USA...Yay Yay Yay...Onsite...
(You are right... rhyming no?!)

(Single status in USA)
It has been four long years since I have come here...
And not a single girl who is ready to come near...
Here in United States I thought I'd get laid...
Down came crashing, the dreams that I'd made...

(8 yrs Onsite, somewhere in USA)
I miss my sambhar rice and the tasty thair saadam(curd rice)
Will speak to amma to find me a homely madam...
Will leave for Thanjavoor on a 30 day leave...
And come back with a maami right up my sleeve...

(Still onsite, we think)
I have two kids, but there is a gripping fear...
Both of them have no signs of being an Iyer...
Krishnaswamy & Sreemahalakshmi I named them fondly...
But Chris & Sally I call them if I want them to even reply...

(retire hogaya baap)
I am back to Thanjavoor with my ever faithful wife...
But my kids stayed there and think I don't have a life...
Tirupati, Guruvayoor, Sabarimala all we've been to...
Sun TV & Asia Net are our faithful friend which we always turn to...

(Now everything seems impossible)
Ayyayyo, what happened to all my dreams?
They have all simply turned into screams.
Children have already married and divorced thrice,
Playing with our grandchildren would've been nice.
Left with us are only aches and pains,
Life is full of only losses, with no gains.
Are we going to be the last of the brilliant Iyer generation?
To our children, tradition and culture are only a botheration!

sangom,

this is an age old ditty, published atleast twice previously in this forum.

the previous agreement among members was that this was a piece of imagined writing by some frustrated or angry person who did not get a chance to go to the USA.

sir, most of the folks overwhelmingly like their life in the west. the woman particularly enjoy the egalitarian societies. life, as a rule, is easier in the west, the societies are more cultured, and for tamil brahmins specially, there are no quotas in universities and the children can rise up to their level of incompetence.

having said all this, i agree, there is the issue of taking care of aged parents left behind in india. in this case it is the son. i have found that daughters take better care of their parents as a couple of my friends in canada, have done so. there is less tension and more harmony between the mother/daughter, which is the strongest bond between two folks. dil/mil is like mixing oil and water.

as myself, a long time resident look upon my retirement, the last thing my wife/i want is to go through the second stage of child rearing by babysitting our grandchildren and cooking/cleaning the house. we have already done our share of all that. we look forward to retirement, ideally near to our children, but do not wish to depend on them for anything. when we go, they are welcome to inherit our leftover worldly possessions.

what you have quoted, is a figment of one's imagination, and nothing more than wishful thinking. i think so anyway.

sangom,

this is an age old ditty, published atleast twice previously in this forum.
Dear Kunjuppu,

The search engine did not show any old thread relevant to this and so I thought this was a new one. I will have no objection if this is deleted also.

the previous agreement among members was that this was a piece of imagined writing by some frustrated or angry person who did not get a chance to go to the USA.
I agree that it is either what you say or from someone jealous of TBs being successful in getting to live their best years in US.

sir, most of the folks overwhelmingly like their life in the west. the woman particularly enjoy the egalitarian societies. life, as a rule, is easier in the west, the societies are more cultured, and for tamil brahmins specially, there are no quotas in universities and the children can rise up to their level of incompetence.
I fully agree. I am unable to go and spend my time with my sons because of my indifferent health and the heavy cost of medical care which I don't want my children to meet.

having said all this, i agree, there is the issue of taking care of aged parents left behind in india. in this case it is the son. i have found that daughters take better care of their parents as a couple of my friends in canada, have done so. there is less tension and more harmony between the mother/daughter, which is the strongest bond between two folks. dil/mil is like mixing oil and water.

as myself, a long time resident look upon my retirement, the last thing my wife/i want is to go through the second stage of child rearing by babysitting our grandchildren and cooking/cleaning the house. we have already done our share of all that. we look forward to retirement, ideally near to our children, but do not wish to depend on them for anything. when we go, they are welcome to inherit our leftover worldly possessions.
There are mainly two categories of old people; one type thinks that whatever their son/s do, it is not up to the mark and are always grumbling. Obviously nothing will satisfy them. There are others who realise that their children have gone and settled abroad for purposes which they (the parents) themselves approved and hence some sacrifice is required for that. These people settle down to a suitable Senior Citizens' Home and their children come and stay with them for a few days once in a while and are happy and contented. I agree that it will be very very difficult for our children to take care of us in our old age in a foreign land, especially if both the husband and wife have to work.

what you have quoted, is a figment of one's imagination, and nothing more than wishful thinking. i think so anyway.
I think you have got me wrong. As I have made it very clear in my initial thread itself this was received by me in my inbox and I thought of posting it under the category "Jokes and Humour" for what ir was worth - a good laugh! I have not quoted it at all. Hope you see the correct position.

Last edited:
thank you sangom> sorry that the search engine did not answer your query>

really< i think this was written orignally in the north< and nothing to do with tamil brahmins> so there is no jealous t>b> writing this>

i agree with you re a lighter side to this note> ie treating it as humour :)

thank you again.

But Mr. Sangom I'm an exception as Neither I have topped in my class nor I have any plans to go to US. You know why coz I'm not that qualified rite now. Even if I get a chance to visit US in the far future I would most likely to be temp one kyunki mujhe apni Bharat mata se bahut pyar hai pyare. ;-)

Ranganathar eppoudume vazhga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back