Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Sodhakumbham ritual

    Respected learned ones,
    I would like to know what is Sodhakumbham ceremony and when this is performed.
    I know after the death of a person this ceremony is performed during 27th day ceremonies and 41st day ceremonies.Is this to be performed every month along with Oonam & Masikam?

    If Hiranyam is performed,Sodhakumbham also a part?
    kindly clarify.

    M.R.moorthi
  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by m.r.moorthi View Post
    Respected learned ones,
    I would like to know what is Sodhakumbham ceremony and when this is performed.
    I know after the death of a person this ceremony is performed during 27th day ceremonies and 41st day ceremonies.Is this to be performed every month along with Oonam & Masikam?

    If Hiranyam is performed,Sodhakumbham also a part?
    kindly clarify.

    M.R.moorthi
    Respected Members,
    I am quite new to this site,joined a couple of days ago with a hope of getting reliable informations from knowledgeble brahmins on this valuable forum.
    Can anyone enlighten me with an informative response please to my first post?
    Regards,
    M.R.Moorthi
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    52
    Points
    5,522
    Level
    8
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by m.r.moorthi View Post
    Respected Members,
    I am quite new to this site,joined a couple of days ago with a hope of getting reliable informations from knowledgeble brahmins on this valuable forum.
    Can anyone enlighten me with an informative response please to my first post?
    Regards,
    M.R.Moorthi
    Well Sodakumbam ritual should be performed for one year from the completion of 13 day. It is a nitya karma till the end of the year. As it is not possible to perform now a days, we perform just day before masikam & una masikam.

    Sodakumbam will not be preformed during the day of masikam / una masikam.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Dear Shri.Srinikam,
    Thank you.Can I have some more information on the subject?

    I am 73 year old.My mother expired on 21/12/2009 and I did all the karma from the day of her death to the 41st day i.e three unams and due to my inablity to continue to perform every month I decided to perform all in 6th month that falls in June,2010.

    I have an younger brother who stays in T.nadu & I in AP. The Sastrigal who conducted the cermonies before advised my younger brother to carry on the monthly ceremony even without my involvement,as I was not able to and he followed the advice till this month but the sastrigal performed only Unam& masikam.No sodhakumbam. He seems to have advised my brother that I perform the sixth month ceremony for three days with Sodhakumbam only with 2 brahmins.
    As I want to perform the 6th month ceremony at my place & when I consulted my sastrigal here,he said that the younger brother has no karma authority to perform all these & what he did had no relevance.
    He advised me to perform the 6th ceremony with 4 more brahmins(for the earlier unperformed months by me)in addition to the 2 for the sixth one.Here he mentioned only 2 day ceremonies(unam& Masikam).

    As I am confused with two versions of the sastrigals, I have here to make a request to learned persons here well versed with karma practices to guide me as to the correct &appropriate process of doing this ceremony.
    Look forward to valuable guidance so that I am not taken for a ride by greedy sastrigals.
    Last edited by m.r.moorthi; 12-05-2010 at 02:47 PM.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    52
    Points
    5,522
    Level
    8
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by m.r.moorthi View Post
    Dear Shri.Srinikam,
    Thank you.Can I have some more information on the subject?

    I am 73 year old.My mother expired on 21/12/2009 and I did all the karma from the day of her death to the 41st day i.e three unams and due to my inablity to continue to perform every month I decided to perform all in 6th month that falls in June,2010.

    I have an younger brother who stays in T.nadu & I in AP. The Sastrigal who conducted the cermonies before advised my younger brother to carry on the monthly ceremony even without my involvement,as I was not able to and he followed the advice till this month but the sastrigal performed only Unam& masikam.No sodhakumbam. He seems to have advised my brother that I perform the sixth month ceremony for three days with Sodhakumbam only with 2 brahmins.
    As I want to perform the 6th month ceremony at my place & when I consulted my sastrigal here,he said that the younger brother has no karma authority to perform all these & what he did had no relevance.
    He advised me to perform the 6th ceremony with 4 more brahmins(for the earlier unperformed months by me)in addition to the 2 for the sixth one.Here he mentioned only 2 day ceremonies(unam& Masikam).

    As I am confused with two versions of the sastrigals, I have here to make a request to learned persons here well versed with karma practices to guide me as to the correct &appropriate process of doing this ceremony.
    Look forward to valuable guidance so that I am not taken for a ride by greedy sastrigals.
    Yes the Second shastrigal is right. There is no right to the youngers to perform the masikam & unamasikam except the eldest. If the elder is away & when returned back, then he is supposed to carry out all the masikam & the unamasikam cannot be perfomed except the days adviced. So your shastrigal adviced you correctly.

    Also there is a say that, if brothers are diveded then both should perform but as per as the well educated scholars of shastras, it is very clear that, the first year karmas should be carried out by the eldest living son only & the remaining to assist him by physically as well as financially. However the yearly shradham can be performed seperately but once performed, it should be carried out till the end of their life.

    As I mentioned earlier, the sodakumbam is not adviced now due to the busy life style. However it is adviced to perform the same on last day of the month i.e before masikam. which makes as last day sodakumbam & fisrt day masika shradham in the month.

    Pranam.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  10. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by srinikam View Post
    Yes the Second shastrigal is right. There is no right to the youngers to perform the masikam & unamasikam except the eldest. If the elder is away & when returned back, then he is supposed to carry out all the masikam & the unamasikam cannot be perfomed except the days adviced. So your shastrigal adviced you correctly.

    Also there is a say that, if brothers are diveded then both should perform but as per as the well educated scholars of shastras, it is very clear that, the first year karmas should be carried out by the eldest living son only & the remaining to assist him by physically as well as financially. However the yearly shradham can be performed seperately but once performed, it should be carried out till the end of their life.

    As I mentioned earlier, the sodakumbam is not adviced now due to the busy life style. However it is adviced to perform the same on last day of the month i.e before masikam. which makes as last day sodakumbam & fisrt day masika shradham in the month.

    Pranam.
    Dear Shri.Srinikam,

    Very many thanks for having given a very clear information on the rituals.
    If you are comfortable,can you give one more clarification please?

    My mother expired on 21/12/2009 after noon at about 12-20 pm.
    Sukla Panchami.

    For the 6th unam
    The First Sastrigal has given dates as below.
    June,2010: 13th:Oonam 15th: Sodhakumbham & 16th:Masikam

    The second Sastrigal for the same 6th Unam

    June 2010:14th Oonam & 16th Masikam & no Sodhakumbham mentioned.

    As there is no clarity between these two,I wish to know as to what is Sodakumbham & it needs to be performed along with the 6th Oonam& Masika.
    Please enlighten me.
    Regards
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    coimbatore. INDIA.
    Posts
    1,302
    Points
    13,396
    Level
    12
    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    After the demisal of father or mother one have to study GARUDA PURANAM. From the first day and before the tenth day A small book only around 100 pages will be there. All the members of that family must study this book.Servants of yama are taking the deceased persons athma to the yama logam. You are giving food and water everymonth the previuos day of the panchami thithi to your mother.to the yama servant which will make him happy and the journey with your will be smmoth. On every sukla paksha chathurthy day one Sasthrigal must be fed and a brass vessel filled with water must be given to him as dhaanam. On every suklapatcha panchami day Masyam must be done This gives food to your mother. One month for us is one day for your mother. so each day you arte giving food for one year both for the servant and for your mother. On their way 16 shelters are there your maasya and sodakumba food will be supplied to them there in the shelter place . You are doing as oona masyam for the other 4 sheltering places Within this 12 months. Only eldest son must do it. You do not bother about one day before or after for oona mashyam purpose.Sodhakumbam on 15th and mashyam on 16th is correct. OOna mashyam will come after 27th day; after 40th day;after 170th day after 340th day. oona mashyam must be done on odd thithi day.so 13th is correct for oona mashyam. On the 12th day itself all the 16 mashyams may be done as our life for one year is not guaranteed. Besides we must do every month sodhakumbam and mashyam.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  14. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kgopalan View Post
    After the demisal of father or mother one have to study GARUDA PURANAM. From the first day and before the tenth day A small book only around 100 pages will be there. All the members of that family must study this book.Servants of yama are taking the deceased persons athma to the yama logam. You are giving food and water everymonth the previuos day of the panchami thithi to your mother.to the yama servant which will make him happy and the journey with your will be smmoth. On every sukla paksha chathurthy day one Sasthrigal must be fed and a brass vessel filled with water must be given to him as dhaanam. On every suklapatcha panchami day Masyam must be done This gives food to your mother. One month for us is one day for your mother. so each day you arte giving food for one year both for the servant and for your mother. On their way 16 shelters are there your maasya and sodakumba food will be supplied to them there in the shelter place . You are doing as oona masyam for the other 4 sheltering places Within this 12 months. Only eldest son must do it. You do not bother about one day before or after for oona mashyam purpose.Sodhakumbam on 15th and mashyam on 16th is correct. OOna mashyam will come after 27th day; after 40th day;after 170th day after 340th day. oona mashyam must be done on odd thithi day.so 13th is correct for oona mashyam. On the 12th day itself all the 16 mashyams may be done as our life for one year is not guaranteed. Besides we must do every month sodhakumbam and mashyam.
    Dear Shri kgopalan,
    Thank you very much for the details.

    The second sastrigal mentioned only two day ceremonies one on the 14th June(As 15th June, Tuesday,Karinal & Soonyathithi & hence he prefered 14th) and the Masyam on 16th June but he did not mention any ceremony on the 13th for the 6th Masyam

    I wish to know for the 6th Masyam it is 2 day or 3 day ceremony.
    ie: Oonam & masyam.
    Can you kindly clarify?
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    coimbatore. INDIA.
    Posts
    1,302
    Points
    13,396
    Level
    12
    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    13-6-2010 OONamasyam and 16th june regular masyam must be done.as per swaminatha sarma kaiyedu. as per kanchi acharyal madathu panchangam 14th june oonam and 16th june regular masyam must be done. which panchangam you are using.I am using acharyal madathu panchangam . as per this 14th and 16th two days ceremony. This as per samkshepa dharma sastram written by manjakudi venkatarama sastrigal.1988 edition.Published by heritage india educational trust mylapore chennai.As you have asked about sodhakumbam in page 323 kathyayana maharishi says after 12th day pretha bhavam is over by sapindikaranam aana piragu prethathvam neengividugirathu.dhahana thaapam illai. aathalal sodhakumbam etharku enru ninaikkalam. sastram oru varudam varai seyya solli irrukirathu.aagaaiyal pretha bhavam neenginalum manathil pretha papamiruppathu pol thonrum enru ariyavum.Sodhakumbam must be done daily if not possible this canbe done the previous day of maasyam .now sodhakumbam may be done on 15th you may skip it It is left to your choice.This is only the differnce between two panchangams.and the way of approach to fix oona masyam is correct for the both sastrigals.Using thriganitha panchangam is correct and as per this 14th and 16th are correct.Please feel free to ask me any doubts .
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  18. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45
    Points
    4,782
    Level
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kgopalan View Post
    13-6-2010 OONamasyam and 16th june regular masyam must be done.as per swaminatha sarma kaiyedu. as per kanchi acharyal madathu panchangam 14th june oonam and 16th june regular masyam must be done. which panchangam you are using.I am using acharyal madathu panchangam . as per this 14th and 16th two days ceremony. This as per samkshepa dharma sastram written by manjakudi venkatarama sastrigal.1988 edition.Published by heritage india educational trust mylapore chennai.As you have asked about sodhakumbam in page 323 kathyayana maharishi says after 12th day pretha bhavam is over by sapindikaranam aana piragu prethathvam neengividugirathu.dhahana thaapam illai. aathalal sodhakumbam etharku enru ninaikkalam. sastram oru varudam varai seyya solli irrukirathu.aagaaiyal pretha bhavam neenginalum manathil pretha papamiruppathu pol thonrum enru ariyavum.Sodhakumbam must be done daily if not possible this canbe done the previous day of maasyam .now sodhakumbam may be done on 15th you may skip it It is left to your choice.This is only the differnce between two panchangams.and the way of approach to fix oona masyam is correct for the both sastrigals.Using thriganitha panchangam is correct and as per this 14th and 16th are correct.Please feel free to ask me any doubts .

    Dear Shri.kgopalan,
    Heartfelt thanks for explanations.

    Actually my younger bother stays in Tamil nadu where my mother expired & I & family stay in Andhrapradesh.Till the 41 st day ceremony I performed at my brother's place and returned to my place.Then I planed to perform the next only for the 6th month which is falling in June.

    Both the Sastrigals follow Vakya(Pambu)Panchangam.

    But my brother on the adivice his sastrigal continued to perform Oonam & masikam till this month as Hiranyam without my presence& also without Sodhakumbham. Perhaps his satrigal advised my brother this on his profit motive,as my brother is liberal.
    Now this sastrigal says OOnam,Sodhakumbham & masikam for the 6th maskam(13,15 &16th June).I think the 6th masikam is no way different from other masikams peformed.

    My brother's Sastrigal not advised sodakumbham for previous month ceremonies but has advised for the 6th month ceremony. Whether this advice is correct & now asks my brother to call me to perform the 6th month.
    As I prefered to perform the 6th ceremony at my place.my sastrigal here selscted only two days(one on 14th & the other on the 16th June,as 15th is not good as per him,Karinal,Soonya thithi etc)

    When i expressed my intension to perform the 6th to my Sastrgal here,he just referred the Panbu panchangam and just gave me two days.
    Here only I am confused because of the two versions though both are Sastrigals on whom we have to believe do things as advised.

    Can I feel free to request you to kindly give your view & guidance?
    Last edited by m.r.moorthi; 15-05-2010 at 11:37 AM.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •