• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhagavathy sevai

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Does anyone know of someone who can perform the Bahgavathy Sevai in the UK? I live in one of the London suburbs, and have been wanting to perform this pooja in our house. I am not sure as to what qualifications are required to perform this pooja. If any of you here knows of someone who can perform this, I will be most grateful.

Thanks
Mythili

Bagavathy Sevai is not a traditional ritual laid down in the Sasthras. It is only a local tradition of Kerala. It is not part of SriVidya.

You can do it yourself.

The Vilakku Pujai which has become very popular in Tamil Nadu in the recent past follows the same procedure as Bhagavathi Sevai.

Please post if you have any doubts.

Please ignore my above posts. I have been so long out of touch with the real world.

Though you can do it yourself, the normal Bhagavathi Sevai or for that matter any Puja by the Brahmins includes part of social function also. You invite the neighbours, relatives, distribute prasadam etc.

If you do it yourself, you will be so busy doing the Puja that you will not have any time for others. Sort of a purely private Puja. This is how we do It.

But it is not for the general Bhakthas.

So please continue your effort to locate someone to perform Bhagavathi Sevai for you.

When you do it, please ensure to include the Parayana of the 11th chapter of Devi Mahatmyam (Narayani Sthudhi ) in addition to Lalitha Sahasranamam.

hi all,

Bhagavathy Sevai is for worship of Devi Durga practised mostly in Kerala. This Puja is done in temples and in homes as well. It is very beneficial as such. This is
done in the evenings. So the preparation starts in the afternoon itself. The priest draws a special kolam design (Sri Chakram) on the floor and fills with colour powders.
(Black is avoided). This is named as Padmam, which is the main kolam. On either side
of the Padmam two smaller Kolam is made and filled with colour powder.

Next step: - Three Kuthuvilakku - One Big and two smaller ones are readied. They are
well polished and filled with Til oil, and cotton wicks (Thiri) are placed in the lamps in
five directions (anju mukham) for the Main Big Vilakku. This Big Kuthhuvilakku is placed on the Padmam. The other smaller Kuthuvillakkus are placed on kolams on either side of the Padmam. they are adorned with garlands.They contain only 2-directional thiris (rendu mukham). About the smaller lamps - one represents Lord Ganesha and the other is for Devi Saraswathy.
The lamps are lit by the priest and puja begins.

Next step :- The Puja starts with lighting of the lamps. The Lord Ganesha, Devi Durga
and Devi Saraswathy are invoked in the Kuthuvilakkus. First Puja is done for Lord
Ganesha and Naivedya (Kela, Coconuts, Pan Supari etc) is offered. Next Devi Saraswathy is worshipped. The Naivedyam offered is Vadai, Kela Coconuts Pan Supari.
Then Devi Durga is worshipped. This is done a bit elaborately as compared to the other
two deities. The priest recites Devi Mahatmyam. Then he recites the Lalitha Sahasranamam using a lot of flowers for the archanai. Then he does Kumkum archanai
reciting the Lalitha Astothram and then later on he recites the Lalitha Trishathi.
A series of Namaskarams are offered by the assembled devotees, to the deities, interspersed with different stotrams/mantram/slokams in praise of Devi.
Then the Neivedyam is offered which is very special- the Nei Payasam to the Bhagavathy. This Payasam has a very unique taste and it cannot be described in words. Heavenly !

Then.......At last Kalpoora Harthi is done. Small cubes of kalpooram is placed like a circle
surrounding the Kuthuvilakkus and they are all lit together. So a beauthiful ring of fire with the Kuthuvilkkus in the middle is made. Its such a beautiful sight. Then devotees make a Pradakshina of the 3 lamps. As a beautiful
ending to the Puja, Nadaswaram (Mangala Vadyam) is played. One or two (or more)
ladies are given mangala samagri (pan supari, kumkum, haldi, blouse peice etc.)
Nei Payasam, vadais are distributed to all present as prasadam.

This is d way I have seen pooja and it is mostly conducted during aadi masam friday and tuesday.....

To All: Bagavathi Sevai, is a tradational poojai by KTB's, it is not like other poojas, it is performed only in the evening, morning ganash pooja and hommam to be performed. More detail pl visit kerala iyers.com or patter samogam, they will help to get a Vathiyar for this pooja. s.r.k.

All,

Does anyone know of someone who can perform the Bahgavathy Sevai in the UK? I live in one of the London suburbs, and have been wanting to perform this pooja in our house. I am not sure as to what qualifications are required to perform this pooja. If any of you here knows of someone who can perform this, I will be most grateful.

Thanks
Mythili
Maa Mythili,

I think we have all added confusion to the issue than clarifying it.

1. Qualifications for the Puja: The performer should have received Deeksha for Devi upasana. Not all the Vadhyars have this qualification. There are some Devi upasakas who perform this for others. I remember a bank officer who was doing it In Chennai.

I am giving a list of Hindu temples and religious bodies in U.K. They may be able to help. Unfortunately all the telephone numbers are not listed.

Bodies

Hi, try contacting the priests at Birmingham Balaji temple ( 0121 544 2256). I know they can do this.

Or you could try contacting Kalyana Gurukkal at <[email protected]>. He had come for a house warming in Manchester when I met him. Sorry, I don't have his phone number but could possibly try and get it for you if you like.

Thank you all for replies.
I will contact the priests in the London Murugan koil and find out if they can suggest a way in which I can perform this pooja.
Another question, is it a must that this has to be only on Fridays? Is there any specific month in which it has to be done?

Mythili

Bagavathi sevai

The bagavathi sevai is a unique tradition of kerala and is mostly performed by the nambudiris in their own house compulsarily in the month of karkadaka and also in devotees houses as per convenience.3 to 5 vilakku are used as per initiation and is performed after sunset after a ganapathy homa in the morning.the padmam is drawn on the floor,mostly asthadalam for common sevas with five basic colours i.e white yellow red green and black.note all these are made from natural substances and no rangoli poeder is used.the puja is performed as per the guidelines laid down by tantra sammuccaya.goddess durga parameswaei is invoked in the vilakku placed in the centre of the padmam and elaborate rituals are performed.it is best to contact a kerala based temple in ur neighbourhood contact the mel santi of the temple who can best guide u on this.swamiye saranam ayyappa!

Thank you all for replies.
I will contact the priests in the London Murugan koil and find out if they can suggest a way in which I can perform this pooja.
Another question, is it a must that this has to be only on Fridays? Is there any specific month in which it has to be done?

Mythili

Mythili ji,

There is nothing specific that you need to do it in specific month, but it will be auspicious if u do it in aadi masam (july mid to august mid)and it will be again better if u can do it in friday since friday is imp day for bhagavati and also if that falls on pournami full moon day , then do it without second thought..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back