Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where went Iyer culture, surname?

Whereas on the one side Science and Technology are progressing, on the other side the civilian community still cling on to traditions and culture. Absolutely nothing wrong. When moving out of Tamil Nadu in India, when working in offices in Bangalore, Bombay, Delhi, Calcutta etc, you are surrounded by colleagues who carry their surnames more proudly than their credentials. You will find no dearth of Reddys, Naidus, Nairs, Menons, Gaekwars, Chabras, Mukherjees, Bannerjees etc etc. But one surname, which once upon a time made a tremendous impact on society, is moribund now. Even its absence is not conspicuous. People who should be having the surname are shy to have it now. Doubtless, I meant the Iyers and Charys and Sastris. Where are the Iyers, Sastris and Charys now? When every other community retain their accent and dialect of Tamil, the brahmin dialect is eroding. The panchakachams have almost disappeared. I fail to understand why brahmins alone succumb to pressure? why brahmins alone are timid? Are there chances of reviving the uniquely brahmin characteristics, speach, styles, surnames etc. Why have we ceased to name our children with Iyer or Sastri or Chary as surnames? What would be the consequence of reviving the same practice? What are the hindering and impeding factors?
    Last edited by Iyer; 11-04-2010 at 08:00 AM. Reason: words missed
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because we are the most intelligent Brahmins.........

Revival can not be possible because we are the smartest humans on the Earth and we can not look back.

There are no hindering and impending factors to analyse...Because we know that we are doing right and we are not old fashioned country folks..

After all what we are going to achieve by associating our surnames with our given names?? We are the most logical and practical guys and know where to be focused and what to be achieved..
    Cheers.........

ANBE SHIVAM...
    ----------------------------------
    The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ravi,

My grandfather had the surname `Sharma' which I revived with my sons. I think we can have the surname sharma to denote we are from Brahmin community. Sharma is common throughout India and hence migration to north also will create awareness.

All the best
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    Ravi,

My grandfather had the surname `Sharma' which I revived with my sons. I think we can have the surname sharma to denote we are from Brahmin community. Sharma is common throughout India and hence migration to north also will create awareness.

All the best

Sri *** ji,

That's really a logical and beneficial idea....

Any clue for Iyengars?
    Cheers.........

ANBE SHIVAM...
    The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by C RAVI View Post
    Sri *** ji,

That's really a logical and beneficial idea....

Any clue for Iyengars?
    Ravi

Iyengars can also use Sharma surname. In Chennai, LIFCO publishers family, who are all Iyengars already use Sharma surname.

All the best
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Iyengars use 'Chari' to distinguish themselves from others. But, I find many people belonging to other castes by birth but following Sri Vaishnavism out of faith and conviction also keeping this tag, in other states.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    its a fallacy to think,that we have moved aways from our roots.everytime when we do sankalpam or when we do pooja at temple,we always quote our religious heritage without fail.there is no need to bring our religious beliefs in public as its a private individual matter today.in fact be secretive of your roots,thats truly sanathana dharma
    Saraswati namasthubhyam Varade kaama roopini Vidyaarambham karishyaami Sidhirbhavatu me sadaa
    O Goddess Saraswati, the giver of Boons and fulfiller of wishes, I prostrate to You before starting my studies. May you always fulfill me?
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nachi naga View Post
    its a fallacy to think,that we have moved aways from our roots.everytime when we do sankalpam or when we do pooja at temple,we always quote our religious heritage without fail.there is no need to bring our religious beliefs in public as its a private individual matter today.in fact be secretive of your roots,thats truly sanathana dharma
    You got a valid point nachi naga avargale.....But don't we feel that we are hiding ourself from the society, unlike others as noted by Mr.Iyer?
    Cheers.........

ANBE SHIVAM...
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    Ravi

Iyengars can also use Sharma surname. In Chennai, LIFCO publishers family, who are all Iyengars already use Sharma surname.

All the best
    Thank you for sharing this information, Sri *** ji...
    Cheers.........

ANBE SHIVAM...
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C RAVI View Post
    You got a valid point nachi naga avargale.....But don't we feel that we are hiding ourself from the society, unlike others as noted by Mr.Iyer?
    the society that i live in today knows me as per their own perception,which maybe true or not true,its all about perspective.

i recall a conversation with an arabic woman of islam faith,wherein we discussed prophet mohammads,n number of wives,to which she defended the prophet by saying,in those ancient era's it was a convention to have the seeds as well as the eggs used,appropriately for the growth of the progenies,so my god is,benevolent,to which i replied quoting shirdi sai baba 'allah malik'.in the pretext of dropping her purse,she kneeled down in front of me,and i used a 'abhaya hastham mudra' to bless her,and tears of joy trickled down her cheeks.god is one for all ,each of us say him differently owing to our conditioning and sense perceptors.
    Saraswati namasthubhyam Varade kaama roopini Vidyaarambham karishyaami Sidhirbhavatu me sadaa
    O Goddess Saraswati, the giver of Boons and fulfiller of wishes, I prostrate to You before starting my studies. May you always fulfill me?
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast