• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Names of nivedyam

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyyerram

hi all,

Ive started this thread in a view to make this a one stop for the sanskrit names of nivedyams(fruits and eatable) that we offer to god.Hope this might be helpful for all.
Iam writing the names that i know, rest are open for your contribution .

Fruits(phalani)

Grape----------- Draksha phalam
Mango-----------Aamra phalam
Coconut--------naarikelam
Jack Fruit-------panasaphalam
Apple-----------phalaprabhedam
Banana-------kadali phalam
Lemon Fruit-----jambhira phalam
The Wood Apple----kapitham
Rose Apple----jamboo phalam
Indian Gooseberry----Amalakam
Red Date-----badaram
Pomegranate ---daadimam

Eatables

vadai--- mashapupam
appam---gulapupam
murukku---sashkulyam
butter--navaneetam
avil----prithukam
milk---ksheeram
ladoo--- ladukam

now this only i remember ,if i get new i will post,but pl post if you know something.

Sir You missed my favourite chitraannams

Any such variety rice can be offered as "Chitraannam'

Thadyannam- Curd rice
Mutkannam- Pongal
Haridrannam- Lemon rice
Ksheerannam- Milk rice
Gudannam- Sweet pongal
Snigdhaudana- Ghee rice

I forget the name of tamarind rice...

Also Apple can be referred as "Kashmeera deso phalam"

Pranams

Naivedyam,etc

Sir You missed my favourite chitraannams

Any such variety rice can be offered as "Chitraannam'

Thadyannam- Curd rice
Mutkannam- Pongal
Haridrannam- Lemon rice
Ksheerannam- Milk rice
Gudannam- Sweet pongal
Snigdhaudana- Ghee rice

I forget the name of tamarind rice...

Also Apple can be referred as "Kashmeera deso phalam"

Pranams

Let me add names of flowers and patras (leaves) with Tamizh names, which I am afraid, many of us cannot identify:
PATRAM (LEAVES)
Maachipatram Mashipachchai
Bruhatipatram kantangkatri
Dhutoorpatram Oomathai
Badripatram Ilandai
Apamargapatram Naayuruvi
Chootapatram Maavilai
Karaveerapatram Aralli
Vishnukranthapatram Vishnukranthi
Aamalapatram Nelli
Maruvakapatram Maru
Shamipatram Vanni
Brungarajapatram Kaiyandarai
FLOWERS
mandarai mandarai
Dadimi mathulai
Vakul mahizhampoo
Amrunalam vetiver
Patali padiri
Dhrona thumbai
Dhuththur Oomaththampoo
Rasaal Maamboo
Kethki Thaazhampoo
Shamyak Konraipoo
Arka Erukku
Kalhar Senkazhuneer
Karaveer Aralli
Kundam Mullai
Paarijath Pavazhamalli
Punnagam Punnai
Loka Samastha Sukhino bhavanthu

Namassadhasae.

Ref. eatables list. 'Laddookam' means idli. I am not sure what is the padham for 'laddu'.

Under fruits category, 'jambu phalam' is naagappazham in tamil. (Famous pillayar slokam: GajAnanam bhootha ganadhi sevitham, Kapitha jamboo phala sara bhakshitham......Famous pun played by lord muruga to thamizh patti avvai - sutta pazham veNumA sudatha pazham venumA?').

Payasam is referred as 'Grutha gula payasam'. Grutham means ghee. Gulam means vellam. The etimology for the word 'payasam' is 'Payasa pakvam payasam'. Payas means milk. The lsweet iquid can be called payasam, only if it is added with milk. SAlyannam means Gingeli rice (Ellu sadham).

My two cents pls.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!

Namassadhasae.

Ref. eatables list. 'Laddookam' means idli. I am not sure what is the padham for 'laddu'.

Under fruits category, 'jambu phalam' is naagappazham in tamil. (Famous pillayar slokam: GajAnanam bhootha ganadhi sevitham, Kapitha jamboo phala sara bhakshitham......Famous pun played by lord muruga to thamizh patti avvai - sutta pazham veNumA sudatha pazham venumA?').

Payasam is referred as 'Grutha gula payasam'. Grutham means ghee. Gulam means vellam. The etimology for the word 'payasam' is 'Payasa pakvam payasam'. Payas means milk. The lsweet iquid can be called payasam, only if it is added with milk. SAlyannam means Gingeli rice (Ellu sadham).

!

Dear Soundara rajan sir,

ladanam (in Sanskrit) means to play, to throw. ladakam is the sports goods used to play with. Since the ball games are the most popular, ladakam came to mean a ball. The dish laddu is like a ball, and this term is a shortened form of laddukam, which derived from ladakam.

Namassdhasae.

Shri iyerram,

Thanks lot for the embelishment.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை
தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே

Yes uncle... The presiding deity Jambukeshwara is giving darshan under the "VENNAVAL" tree in Thiruvanaikoil...

Dear Iyerram sir
You are absolutely correct. But what is the actual name of IDLY then???? Idly is my favourite and during Pillayar chaturthi we offer that to him.

Pranams

Namassadhasae.

Durga & Shri Iyerram,

I am sure the sanskrit name for idli is 'laddookam' and for vella kozhakattai is 'modhakam'. It is my memory from childhood (for contrast sake) that 'mandookam' is 'frog' and 'laddookam' is idly. 'Pillayar Chathurthi' is my favourite festival. Hero Pillayar reminds the fact 'sound mind can only be in a sound body'.

Shri Iyerram's eplanation for laddu is correct, since laddu is in the shape of a ball.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!

Annaga Kodi Namaskarangal..

Thanks a lot for all this information...... this is really usefull for me.
Previously i know only for Bannana and Coconut.
Really thanks a lot for these informations.

Thangel Vitheyan
V.V.Visranth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back