• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pappadam kaachara manam a good read

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunkan

(Pappadam kachara manam)
Dear friends

It was in 1998 if I am correct, I came across a website Kids health.com. I subscribed to it and then onwards I am getting weekly postings from them. I used to store most interesting and curious articles received from them.

Two reasons for it - one I was some how interested in physiology from beginning from boy hood. This has given some times sarcastic remark " Half baked" about me from my better half though my children approve it.

Second their posting are to the understanding level of Kids with suitable explanation and simple language, which I could some, what grasp at the age of 54.

Now I am rearranging such files in my Laptop and I thought some of them very informative and enjoyable could be shared with we in my language with adjectives, but not loosing the accuracy. This posting is about smell and taste in brief and simple language .

I have just titled this series from the annals. Once again, it does not carry dictionary meaning of annals even partially.

Every day I am getting number of responses and acknowledge them individually. I thank all of them and the moderators of US Brahmins and Thatha Patti groups who publish my posting on the SAME DAY.
Sincerely
Gopala Krishnan 29-3-2010

1.Papad is frying in coconut oil
Today I was very happy to go for my afternoon lunch since while working with my computer in my room I could happily smell the frying of papads, a very rare incident after my diabetic diet restrictions. Two reasons- one salt in papad and the other oil in take. I have many times studied to my wife how much will be 5 milli grams of salt and 25 milligrams of oil. No effect.
About an year back I was an inpatient in KMH hospital and we could meet another patient by my name that was strictly put on diet. The poor mami use to adhere to dietician 150% and the mama on angry use to push the plates at her- Inda nee yae thinnukko (We ourself eat) narrated the incidents occasionally to my wife…
2. There is no taste function with out nose
Why my papad narration and dietician? We may feel function of nose is not related with tongue. It is false. Nose in addition to specific function of its own, associated with tongue also.
Our nose is an important organ for lots of reasons. Sure, it let's we smell, but it's also a big part of why we are able to taste. The nose is also the main gate to the respiratory system - this means that it's the most important player in letting we breathe. The nose is one talented dude. So let's nose around and find out why.
3. How do the nose function?
When we inhale air through our nostrils, the air enters our nasal cavity and travels along the top of our palate (Our palate is the wall that separates our nose from our mouth, sometimes called the roof of our mouth. We can check out its surface by lifting up our tongue and using it to feel around.) The air then passes through our mouth and throat and soon ends up in the lungs. When our lungs are ready to exhale the old air, the nose is the main way for the air to leave our body.
But our nose doesn't just take air in and send it along to the lungs - it warms, humidifies, and filters it first (humidifying means adding moisture). The inside of our nose is lined with a mucous membrane, which is a wet, thin layer of tissue. This membrane warms up the air on its way in and moistens it a lot - in fact, air that's come in through the nose reaches almost 75% humidity!
On the inside front surface of the nose are tiny protective hairs that catch dust and other irritants that would be harmful if they are inhaled And some irritants that do get caught in there are so irritating that our nose wants to get rid of them right away - by sneezing! Dear friends yesterday I posted about trichotilomania. Pulling hairs from the nostrils continuously is trichotilomania
4. Sneezing
Sneezing is an involuntary way of removing an irritation from our nose. Our brain, muscles, and nose all work together to send those particles flying out of our nose, sometimes at speeds of up to 100 miles an hour. Now that's a speedy sneeze! ( But there are other reasons too which we will see later…)
5. Smelling- Amma enna pannaral?
When the grand kids come on vacation mostly they sit with me to see their own TV channels and for the AC. When the delicious preparations smell come – the smaller kid will run out- Amma enna pannaral, pathuttu varen. (I will come after seeing what mother prepare)
The nose allows us to make scents out of what's going on in the world around us. Just as our eyes give us information by seeing and our ears help us out by hearing, the nose lets us figure out what's happening by smelling.
In fact, the nose is so powerful that it can smell up to 10,000 different odours! When odour molecules enter our nose, they stimulate the cilia. When our brain sends a message based on a smell, it's because we've trained our brain to recognize a certain smell.
The first time we smell a new thing, it has a new smell that our brain had to translate. But now our brain can "remember" the smell instantly and let we recognize it every time we get it. In Chennai if we come near chrompet from Pallavaram, we will smell nice Ponds powder smell for about a Kilometre in the road!! If we are sleeping in the a/n coming by bus/taxi/car we will wake up by the smell.
6. How the nerve signals are produced
The nerve signals from cilia move along the receptors and travel to the olfactory nerve, which then transmits the signals to the olfactory bulb. This is a spot right underneath the front of our brain at the top of the nasal cavity. The brain's job is to interpret the nerve signals and identify the smell for we.
6. Mookae Pidichundu Kudi (Drink closing the nose)
Most people just think of the tongue when they think about taste. But we couldn't taste anything without some help from the nose! The ability to smell and taste go together because odours from foods allow us to taste more fully. We can find out how important our nose is for tasting by trying an experiment:
Taste a favourite food like Adaprathaman or iddali with thengai chutni well fried with fresh Kariveppilla and Kothamalli. Then rinse out our mouth. Hold our nose shut (either by pinching it tightly with our fingers or by putting on a pair of nose-clips like the ones used for swimming) and try tasting that same food again. Notice a difference? Without our sense of smell, the food won't be as tasty the second time around.
And the next time we have to take a liquid Kashayam that we hate, try holding our nose - we can bet that medicine won't taste quite so gross.
7. Why I am Liking Thengai Ennai with chutni and Iddali Mulagaipodi
Main reason smell adding to taste. So no matter whom we are or wherever we go, are sure to follow our nose!
Adapted from an article by Steven cook MD in May 2001 from kidshealth.com

CAME ACROSS THIS ARTICLE FELT I SHOULD SHARE HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back