• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ADAI -- The trademark of TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyyerram

Adai, is very popular in Kerala,Tamilnadu among Iyers. Adai, compared to dosa, doesn't preparation much earlier, since it requires around 3 hours of soaking time only. Doesn't take much time to do the grinding and no wait period for fermentation. Even though the ultimate is paper thin crisp dosa, I love crisp adais very much. This is usually served as after-school tiffin at home. Each home has their own proportion for rice and dal used. For Karthigai Deepam ,gokulashtami festivals, this adai is one of the neivadyams. As is the custom, par boiled rice is not used for neivadyams, its totally avoided when making for Karthigai. Whole pepper and tiny bits of coconut is also added to it. Here is the recipe which I follow on ordinary days.

Raw rice - 1 cup
Parboiled rice - 1/2 cup
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Urad dhal - 1/2 cup (whole urad/split with skin)
Red chillies - 3 nos
Green chilly - 2 nos
Ginger a small wedge
Curry leaves
Salt to taste
Asfoetida - 1/2 tspn

Wash and soak both rice, chana dal and urad dal for 3 hours. Grind the soaked mix along with green chilly, red chilly, ginger, curry leaves and salt to a coarse batter. The batter should not be smooth. Else you will not get crisp adais. It will taste like dosa. Add hing powder and mix well. No fermentation required.

Heat a cast iron griddle. Sprinkle few drops of oil. Take a ladle of batter and spread into thick dosa/pancake. Make a hole in the center. This will enable to get crisp adai. Drizzle oil on the sides and in the hole made in the centre. When one side is cooked, flip and cook the other side. Cook in medium flame, so that its well cooked , since it is made relatively thicker than ordinary dosa. Traditionally it is served with powdered jaggery or butter or pickle.

I am not sure how the combination of adai and avial became popular. May be its the idea of some hotelier to combine two popular dishes of Kerala and serve as Malabar Adai and Avial. However it has become a huge hit. You are sure to find this combo in any Tamilnadu hotels. The recipe for avial already I have posted.also Adai-vallam is popular.still i remember ,the hard and roast adai paatti used to give along with the vellam from the big horlicks bottle.

yup njoy Adai.

Last edited:
Many varities of adai

adai2.jpg

[FONT=&quot]ADAI:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How many of us have this in our home at least twice a month, now [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is something like dosai and u can add a variety to it to make it taste different[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Like methi, cabbage, plantain flower, murunga ilai and kothamalli and of course the great onion is enough to make wonderful now I have tried with some chopped capsicum, or mushroom, and it tastes divine with some salted butter and molaga podi with vellam or gur..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now the ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For tanjore adai: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Boiled rice 2 cups[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Raw rice 1 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]chanadhall ½ cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]tuvar dhalll ½ cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]urad with skin ¼ cup [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]soak it over night or early in the morning add some red chillies let them soak into it, now grind it to a rough paste with very less water it should be course and not fine like dosa..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]now you can add all the stuff one by one either onion, or methi or other stuff here..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]kerala adai:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]now this only has [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]boiled rice 2 cups[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]urad ½ cup with skin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]soak and grind and add only pepper and jeera as required and some scrapped coconuts[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]along with some karuveppailai..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and make the adai only the accompaniments are great here. Some chutney or tamarind chutney, anything will go even sambhar is a good accompaniment to all the adais..[/FONT]
104284699_efcf8ba7c7.jpg

[FONT=&quot]v[/FONT][FONT=&quot]erum arisi adai,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]this is only made with boiled rice, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]boiled rice 2 cups [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]pepper and jeera and some coconut if u want just soak and grind them,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]coarse add salt and now make adai this is good on its own[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]kara adai[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Raw rice - 1 cup
Parboiled rice - 1 cup
Black gram 1/2 cup
Bengal gram- 1 cup
hing or asafoetida - 2 pinches
Onion - 2 nos
Red chillies - 10 nos
Ginger - A small piece
Garlic pods - 8 nos
Curry leaves
Coriander leaves [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt - As reqd
Oil - As reqd[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soak and wash and now gring the rice and dhall after 3 hrs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Along with it add red chillies, ginger, garlic, asafetida, add[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Required salt chopped curry leaves and coriander leaves stir well[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add some finely chopped onions, let the batter be thick and coarse.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Keep for an hour then make adai[/FONT]

1811486565_1bdb4ee0c7.jpg

[FONT=&quot]AVIAL:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Any vegetables cut into thick matchsticks – 3 cups
Grated coconut – ½ cup
Green chillies – 3
Curry leaves - few
Yogurt – ½ cup
Salt
Coconut oil – a tbsp[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now boil all the vegetable in a open handi along with some coconut oil and just enough water to boil them as u keep turning them over. With a little salt,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I add a little bit of turmeric to make them colorful but u can do it without that too.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once you have boiled, add the ground paste of grated coconut, green chillies a little of rice with a little water, now add this paste and cook for a few minutes, once cooked good but not mushy, close the fire let it cool a little now add the yoghurt and curry leaves and give a tadka of mustard and curry leaves in coconut oil over this and mix well, this is a very good accompaniment to adai..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Semiya adai:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tuvar dhall 1 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]chana dhall 1cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]corn 1 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]soya 1 cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]uradh dhall with black skin ½ cup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]green chillies 6 to 7[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]red chillies 6 to 7[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]karuveppilai or kadi patha one bunch[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]now soak the dhall for 5 hrs and grind coarse and leave it in the fridge, every day take the amount needed and mix one cup of semiya to 2 ladle of this mixture after soaking in some warm salted water for a few minutes, then the semiya will not be stiff and easy and malleable and easy to mix, so here now u can mix, ragi sevai, ragi semiya, wheat semiya, and so on, some wheat rava also can be tried here, but the semiya one comes out crispy if done right…[/FONT]

497011377_Ba3Fv-500x500.jpg

[FONT=&quot]I hope all know how to make karadayan nombu adai…[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]U need to grind the rice powder and dry fry in the kadai until a kolam line can be put easily now keep enough water 2 to 3 tumbler for a tumbler of fried rice now add the dry friend payaru which should be soaked earlier to make it along now add that also a little pinch of salt and let it boil if it is for karam grind some green chillies and ginger and some coconut oil to be added along in the water while boiling, once it comes to boil put the rice powder and mix well, once it has mixed well bring down and let it cool for sometime,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the sweet one mix the vellam also now it can depend on how much of sweet u want one tumbler then 3/4th tumbler of jaggery needed, just add it along after u have removed the sand from it and bring it to boil along with the boiled payaru and mix the rice powder and bring down once cooled make it i[/FONT][FONT=&quot]nto shapes and that is needed and steam and serve with home made butter or amul is always there…sunkan[/FONT]

all pictures from the net to show how it looks...

Thanks a lot. We are getting lot of new dishes in this forum.

I feel Adai is a very heavy dish and will not digest very easily. However I always prefer Adai with Avial.

Please keep it up

All the best

Adai

Can you change the "trade mark of TB" to trademark tambra. Adai has very high protein content and therefore weak systems may find it difficult to digest. You can also have honey in place of vellam. These days the mixies paste-grind the ingredients but before 50 years the dals were ground in "Attukkal" and the half-ground dals on the adai would look at the eater like the creatures in animated english films.

Excellent recipes. Could you kindly post a recipe for " Thavalai Adai"?

I remember my mum making it but have forgotten the recipe.

Thanks

Vanaja

vanaja,

here is one recipe. please let us know how this works out.

Kadalai Paruppu Adai /Thavalai Adai

Kadalai paruppu adai or thavalai adai is a favorite one in my mom's place! if you do not want to prepare adai one by one then this is the one you will be looking for!

Ingredients
1. gram dhall -1 ½ cups
2. raw rice – 2 cups
3. salt
For tempering
1. mustard seeds
2. urad dhall
3. asafetida – ¼ tsp
4. curry leaves
5. red chilies -3 or 4
6. cashew nuts – broken(optional)
7. pepper corns – 1 tsp
8. cumin seeds – 1 tsp

Method
Soak dhall and rice together for 2 hours. Wash and grind it into a not so smooth batter. Add salt while grinding.
Heat oil in a kadai and put mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add urad dhall, red chilies, pepper corns, cumin seeds, asafetida , curry leaves, cashew nuts . wait till all the ingredients get golden brown in color.mix all the ingredients in the ground batter. Then heat the pressure cooker and pour oil in it. Let the oil gets heated and pour all the batter in the cooker and close the cooker. Let it cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Then serve hot. Sugar is a good accompaniment for this dish.Do not put weight in the cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back