• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

vettha kozhambhu

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nachi naga

Vethakozhambu - Palakkad Iyer recipe

Vathakozhambu is a famous dish of Tamilnadu and it is cooked by Iyers of Kerala too. But when it comes to Kerala, it is cooked in a slightly different way from what is followed in TN. Here is the version cooked at most of Palakkad Iyer homes.

Ingredients

Tuvar dal - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - lemon sized
Red chilly powder - 1 tspn
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn

Method

Wash and pressure cook tuvar dal with water. Add little turmeric and 1/2 tspn of oil. Adding oil helps cook dal mushy.
Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes.
Extract the tamartind juice. Add 1/4 tspn turmeric,1 tspn of red chilly powder, 1/4 tpn of hing and salt.
Let it simmer till the gravy thickens.
Mash the cooked dal and add half cup of water.
Stir in the cooked dal and water to the thickening gravy.
Bring to a boil.

Seasoning

In a pan, add a tablespoon of gingely oil, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add chundakka vathal. When chundakkai is fried, pour the seasonings over the cooked gravy and garnish with curry leaves.

Serve with hot rice with a teaspoon of homemade ghee and roasted papad. Its simply divine. Mezhukkuparatti ( Stir fried vegetable like raw banana and yam) is also an excellent side for vethakozhambu

Yummi dish...
today at any cost, i have to make this and taste..
Thanks nachi ji for vethakuzhambu :)

Vethakozhambu - Palakkad Iyer recipe

Vathakozhambu is a famous dish of Tamilnadu and it is cooked by Iyers of Kerala too. But when it comes to Kerala, it is cooked in a slightly different way from what is followed in TN. Here is the version cooked at most of Palakkad Iyer homes.

Ingredients

Tuvar dal - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - lemon sized
Red chilly powder - 1 tspn
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Turmeric - 1/4 tspn

Method

Wash and pressure cook tuvar dal with water. Add little turmeric and 1/2 tspn of oil. Adding oil helps cook dal mushy.
Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes.
Extract the tamartind juice. Add 1/4 tspn turmeric,1 tspn of red chilly powder, 1/4 tpn of hing and salt.
Let it simmer till the gravy thickens.
Mash the cooked dal and add half cup of water.
Stir in the cooked dal and water to the thickening gravy.
Bring to a boil.

Seasoning

In a pan, add a tablespoon of gingely oil, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add chundakka vathal. When chundakkai is fried, pour the seasonings over the cooked gravy and garnish with curry leaves.

Serve with hot rice with a teaspoon of homemade ghee and roasted papad. Its simply divine. Mezhukkuparatti ( Stir fried vegetable like raw banana and yam) is also an excellent side for vethakozhambu
hi nachi naga,
if u can add some peanuts/ver kadalai ...just fry add to vathalkozhambu ..it will be more tasty...in palakkad recipe sundakkai/or even martha
galikkai/mana thakkali fried will be more tasty...sutta appalam also
good in side dish.....just add seasome oil will be good...

regards
tbs

hi nachi naga sir,
when we discuss/debate about atman/prakriti/maya/avidya subjects..
when we are very in deep philosophical/metaphysical subject..
sometimes we may need relaxations..so spicy vatha kozhambu
gives a stress free thought....

regards
tbs

Vatha Kuzhambu has too much of tamarind. It creates acidity.

Instead I prefer Milagu Kuzhambu (Pepper)

All the best

re

hi nachi naga sir,
when we discuss/debate about atman/prakriti/maya/avidya subjects..
when we are very in deep philosophical/metaphysical subject..
sometimes we may need relaxations..so spicy vatha kozhambu
gives a stress free thought....

regards
tbs

tbs,food for our thoughts

nachi naga.

re

can someone parcel it and send it to me....

renu

renu,

pm me,i will mail parcel for you.mtr,777, etc sell vettha kozhambhu powders in grocery stores.for busy pio such instant mixes can be tried,when mom or grandma or cook is unavailble.

nachi naga

re

All the best

rvr,

each ones body constituition varies,as far as acid or base,levels are concened.thithippum kassappum sila nalaikku thaan,afterwards old age kicks in,we only remain young at heart,as all our organs run below par.milaggu kozhambhu is an excellent dish,especially for kapha dosha person.

nachi naga.

All the best

Sri.RVR Sir,

Milagu 'confusin' (We call kuzhambu as 'confusion' in our home...just fun!) and vathal (preferable sundaikkai vathal. We get a plenty here) confusion are two different great dishes. I like both.

(By the way, I did not know milagu kuzhambu would increase appetite....when I was young, I and my wife would feast on it for lunch time..and feel hungry by 4 in the evening! It took a long time for us to work that out!)

Cheers!

hi renu ji,
In USA ready to eat vathal kozhambu available....can i mail to u..
hahahaaaaa...

regards
tbs

Dear TBSJi,

Really nice of you..

this is my address: **********Selangor,Malaysia

:hungry:

renu

Last edited:
Dr.Renuka ji,

Try to find out where the kitchen is in you home? Than try to prepare your self as per preparation method narrated by Sri Nachi Naga ji.

You can enjoy home made fresh VaththaKozhumbu and keep your family happy.

But offcourse there might be a risk to your family people...

:boom::help:

Dr.Renuka ji,

Try to find out where the kitchen is in you home? Than try to prepare your self as per preparation method narrated by Sri Nachi Naga ji.

You can enjoy home made fresh VaththaKozhumbu and keep your family happy.

But offcourse there might be a risk to your family people...

:boom::help:

Dear RaviJi,

I am a good wife who wakes up in the morning and cooks food for me and husband to take to work...then only I go to clinic...

You are teasing me here I see.....
Wait i will get even with you in another post....ha ha ha:heh:

renu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back