• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Oil bath

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per our tradition we are encouraged to take oil bath on Saturdays, which goes with the saying "Sani Neeradu". Is it applicable for both male and female? or as per the sastras, ladies should not take oil bath on Saturday. Would like the forum to advise. Thanks.

For ladies, Friday is suggested.

all the best

Abhyangam dhinam achrayeth

So taking oilbath daily itself is very good for health. I took today only after two weeks.:clap2:

Sri.Durga Dasan,

What is the advantages of an 'oil-bath' (அதுவும் எண்ணெய் இந்த விலை விற்கும்போது), please. I can understand the attractions of 'pisibela - bath', 'vaangy - bath' 'phagala - bath' etc; oil - bath?

Cheers!

I hope I wouldnt be wrong to say oil bath could have been an ancient practise of purification because there was no foaming agents/soaps/sodium lauryl sulpahte to effectively remove grime from body.

Oilling ones body will exfoliate dead epidermal cells/effectively remove grime and a warm bath after that will eliminated the oiliness.
Natural oils are also emoilents/mosturizers.

correct me if I am wrong to say that Oil and warm bath was just the norm before foaming agents we discovered.

I hope I wouldnt be wrong to say oil bath could have been an ancient practise of purification because there was no foaming agents/soaps/sodium lauryl sulpahte to effectively remove grime from body.

Oilling ones body will exfoliate dead epidermal cells/effectively remove grime and a warm bath after that will eliminated the oiliness.
Natural oils are also emoilents/mosturizers.

correct me if I am wrong to say that Oil and warm bath was just the norm before foaming agents we discovered.

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Somehow I have a feeling that you may not know the 'ritual' about 'oil bath'. Assuming that you may not know (I know, dangerous), let me explain the ritual.

It takes about 350 to 400 mls of oil for my frame (long hair, பனை மரத்தில் பாதி உயரம்- means tall). Firstly, the oil (usually sesame seed oil) has to be warmed up. Usually the most innocent in the family would end up doing the task of applying oil. Before starting to apply the oil, nalangu would take place. Most of the oil would be in the hair dripping down the face with impurities. I have to soak the oil in. Then, using 'sikaikai powder, soap, shampoo, hard labour, warm water and a lot of swearing, I would get rid of the oil grime from the hair and the body. (this is where the glamour comes in. lucky boys get their would-be, girl friend, girl in love..may have her to rub the back. In my case, I had the servant to do it. His usual comment would be 'எருமையை தேச்சு உடற மாதிரியே இருக்கு'.

I will be very hungry by now. Big lunch would be followed. Then a nap in the afternoon. nap after oil-bath is bad. So I would complain how bad I feel after the nap, I would choose to eat a 'light meal' for dinner comprised of yummy பலகாரம்ஸ். This is the ritual of oil - bath.

Cheers!

Sow.Sri.Renuka,

Somehow I have a feeling that you may not know the 'ritual' about 'oil bath'. Assuming that you may not know (I know, dangerous), let me explain the ritual.

It takes about 350 to 400 mls of oil for my frame (long hair, பனை மரத்தில் பாதி உயரம்- means tall). Firstly, the oil (usually sesame seed oil) has to be warmed up. Usually the most innocent in the family would end up doing the task of applying oil. Before starting to apply the oil, nalangu would take place. Most of the oil would be in the hair dripping down the face with impurities. I have to soak the oil in. Then, using 'sikaikai powder, soap, shampoo, hard labour, warm water and a lot of swearing, I would get rid of the oil grime from the hair and the body. (this is where the glamour comes in. lucky boys get their would-be, girl friend, girl in love..may have her to rub the back. In my case, I had the servant to do it. His usual comment would be 'எருமையை தேச்சு உடற மாதிரியே இருக்கு'.

I will be very hungry by now. Big lunch would be followed. Then a nap in the afternoon. nap after oil-bath is bad. So I would complain how bad I feel after the nap, I would choose to eat a 'light meal' for dinner comprised of yummy பலகாரம்ஸ். This is the ritual of oil - bath.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy Ji,

Thanks for reply...funny though especially the Erumaiyai line....

renu

Durga,

I was having regular oil baths in my younger days. I practically stopped in between for few decades. Now I have started taking oil bath at least once in a month.

Personally I feel body heat is controlled and I feel better. You may think that it is an illusionary feeling. I am unable to explain things based on any scientific proof.

I wish other members to explain further the above phenomena based on their personal experiences and if possible with some scientific support.

All the best

i used to have regular oil baths till i was 16 when i left home. since then practically none.

later on i found out, that the body really does not need an oil bath for lubrication, as we take in enough oil in our food. my children have grown up without oil bath.

in winter here in canada, the skin gets dry and flaky due to the cold. we apply moisturizing creams which are oil based. it appears to do the job of softening the skin.

but, i cannot deny, that there is a mystical attachment to the oil bath, particularly on auspicious days like dieepavali. all my relatives in india, still follow this habit, to the core.

mahaswamigal of kanchi used to have kadalai maavu to rub against his body and tall balu used to pour water over mahaswamial during bath ritual..

nachi naga

re

mahaswamigal of kanchi used to have kadalai maavu to rub against his body and tall balu used to pour water over mahaswamial during bath ritual..

nachi naga

Durga,

I was having regular oil baths in my younger days. I practically stopped in between for few decades. Now I have started taking oil bath at least once in a month.

Personally I feel body heat is controlled and I feel better. You may think that it is an illusionary feeling. I am unable to explain things based on any scientific proof.

I wish other members to explain further the above phenomena based on their personal experiences and if possible with some scientific support.

All the best
I have a similiar experience like RVRs.In my younger days I had regular oil baths on wednesdays and saturdays.Stopped during my middle ages and restarted again prompted by my mother.
I feel really relaxed,get good nap in the afternoon and feel fresh.My mother makes a special thailam with dried avarampoo leaves,gingelly oil,castor oil boils them,leaves the decoction under sun for a few days then filters it.This i use for my oil bath.Laborious process.
I agree with RVR,heat is controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back