Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiv rathiri

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Shiv rathiri

Dear all:
    I would appreciate if people can share information on Shivrathiri. Its history, significance, rituals, pooja, vratam, slokas or mantras to chant etc.

This would help me (mostly) and maybe other naive people like me.

I visited mahashivrathiri.org website. But I feel there are more learned people here in the forum whose information is accurate and resourceful.

Thank you so much,

drb
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Shivarathri stories

1. The kradha (hunter) who did sivapooja unknowingly got mukthi and the group of deer turned into the star of Mrighasheersha in this day.

2. Devi parvathi did shivapooja and attined his half portion in this day.

3. The whole world was created in a shivarathri day.

The speciality of this year shivarathri is "the month MASI itself borns in a shivarathri, so we have actually two shivarathris this year".

Pranams
    Kann Kalikkumpadi kandukonden Kadambadaviyil
    pann kalikkum kural veenaiyum kaiyum payodharamum
    mann kalikkum pachai vannamum aghi mathangar kula
    penngalil thondria emperumaatithan perazhage

(Abirami Andhadhi)
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On the Shivarathr day, it is enjoined that one should do Shiva pooja and fully engrossed in thought about Lord Shiva, recite and hear slokas about Him and read Shivapurana. During the entire night one should keep himself awake and spend in activities linked to Shiva pooja, sloka chanting etc., His Holiness the Jagadguru Sri abhinava Vidyatheertha Swamiji of Sringeri used to tell about a sloka in Shiva Mahimna Stotra of Pushpadanta. The sloka is addressed to the two eyes of the bhaktha. The meaning of sloka is : O! 2 eyes, an auspicious night falls today. Be on vigil and keep awake through out this night. If you do this you will get a new friend like yourselves, who will sit in between you two."

The sloka says that if one keeps awake through out night on this day, he will get another friend of his two eyes (friend of eyes is another eye) and third eye will be in between his existing two eyes. So the person gets a third eye and becomes three eyed. There are four kinds of moksha. Salokya, Sameepya, Saroopya and Sayujya. This sloka says that the person gets sarupya moksha. (the person gets the rupa as that of Lord Shiva. Because after being awake throughout Shivarathri night the person is three eyed like Lord Shiva who is also three eyed).
    Last edited by S.Sankaranarayanan; 03-02-2010 at 01:18 PM.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the information provided so far. I hope people can provide more information.

I basically trying to gather information on how to start and end the day on shiv rathiri.

This is my plan (please correct/add me if I am wrong):
    1. Fasting - whole day. Can I eat fruits alone?
    2. Slokas/mantras - please let me know what to chant especially during night. If I know what it is - i can either try to find mp3s and lyrics on net.
    3. how do you divide the night into yamas? And when does the prayers end?
    4. How do you end the fasting and prayers?

I request people to help me out as days are running out.

Thank you,
    drb
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Dear drb

I think these links may help you further

http://www.dlshq.org/religions/shivaratri.htm

http://www.theholidayspot.com/shivratri/

The second link is much useful and it answers almost all your queries I think.

Pranams

(Abirami Andhadhi)
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear Durgadasan ji,
    I thought I covered all links by googling. Still I have a long way to go, as I see from your links.

Those were quite informational and nice, I missed it.

Thanks so much.

Balaji.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear all:

One thing I couldn't verify is about 'fasting':

Can one take fruits and water alone on that day? If so is there restriction on kind of fruit? and quantity?

TIA
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Nirjala upavaasa whole day is utthamam during fasting.However,if this is found to be difficult,one can at least avoid solid food (especially cooked food) on this day.One can chant Sri Rudram as many times as possible during the day.If one is not conversant in reciting this, one can at least listen to this in the recorded form.One can join the group doing Sri Rudra parayanam in the temple in the night and have food the next day.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    If not possible we can powder the vilvam and mix it with water and drink. If the concerned person is a patient (I mean diabetic or something like), even they can consume fruits or milk also. The main aim is to chant holy names of shiva, doing bhajans, keeping awake. Fasting is also essential at the same time no need to harm our body. Some persons will feel drowsy in empty stomach (Not PASI MAYAKKAM), in this case also they can consume something.

Pranams

(Abirami Andhadhi)
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hari Om Namashivaya.
    Usualy on Mahasivaratri day, i use to pray shiva japam with rudraksha wearing, and earlymorning go to shiva temple and offer prayers.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast