• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Goh dhaanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of the learned and well informed persons enlighten me on the significance,procedures,and the way to perform the Goh Dhaanam.Is there any document available?

If one wishes to do this,are there any organisations in Chennai or any other place which accept the Dhaanam and look after the cows well?

I am eager to get the information from any of you.

Sabesan Narayanaswami

Gho daanam

Sir:

You can buy a cow and give it or you can pay the cost of a cow
to the Institutions and also a sum towards the corpus for daily
feeding of the cow. The toal cost might be around Rs 45k to 50 k.

The Mutts have their own sastris who do the initial puja.

Please try at Sri Sanakara mutt, Kanchi or West Mambalam, chennai
or sri Yogi Ramsuratkumar Ashram, Tiruvannamalai or sri
Ramanashramam, T.V.Malai or Sri Gnanananda Trust,
Thapovanam. I know that these Instittutions accept gho daanam.

regards,
N.R.Ranganathan.

Sir:

You can buy a cow and give it or you can pay the cost of a cow
to the Institutions and also a sum towards the corpus for daily
feeding of the cow. The toal cost might be around Rs 45k to 50 k.

The Mutts have their own sastris who do the initial puja.

Please try at Sri Sanakara mutt, Kanchi or West Mambalam, chennai
or sri Yogi Ramsuratkumar Ashram, Tiruvannamalai or sri
Ramanashramam, T.V.Malai or Sri Gnanananda Trust,
Thapovanam. I know that these Instittutions accept gho daanam.

regards,
N.R.Ranganathan.

Thanks Mr Ranganathan for the useful information.

Can any of the learned and well informed persons enlighten me on the significance,procedures,and the way to perform the Goh Dhaanam.Is there any document available?

If one wishes to do this,are there any organisations in Chennai or any other place which accept the Dhaanam and look after the cows well?

I am eager to get the information from any of you.

Sabesan Narayanaswami
Dear Sri Sabesanji,
When my mother passed away about a year back, the same thought had come to us & we started enquiring with the scholars. But the system is so deep, in which we become responsible if the person hit the cow, if not provide them with the sufficient food, if he abandon them in their oldage ...etc. Hence, it become difficult to find a suitable person.

Second idea was thought & enquired locally. There is a goshala at whitefield, Bangalore Maintained by jains. which takes care of abandoned cows & looks for the healthy cows to feed the abandoned calf, treating the bed ridden cows ...etc. Maintain their health & day today expanditures from selling milk.

Donating the cow to them will be very highly appriciatable thought. Also they don't have any reservation on value of the cow to be donated. Generally cost of a cow starts from 10 K to 50K depending upon the donor capacity & breed.

They even suggested to get them the cows from the weekly cow market which cost about 6K, where generally butchers by them so a life can be saved.

Pranam,
L.srinivas

Go dhana

If any one can explain in detail the spiritual significance of 'gho dhana' during the death of one's beloved ones and the benefits of giving "gho dhana' with vedic references it will be beneficial to all

If any one can explain in detail the spiritual significance of 'gho dhana' during the death of one's beloved ones and the benefits of giving "gho dhana' with vedic references it will be beneficial to all

My Grandmother did Goh Dhaanam before her death and my mother now wants to do the same.I always thought it is done when one is alive, at the evening of life.

Yes,in my initial Posting I wanted to know about the significance also.

My Grandmother did Goh Dhaanam before her death and my mother now wants to do the same.I always thought it is done when one is alive, at the evening of life.

One of my uncle in my village did Goh Dhaanam on his Sastiapthapoorthi. Only thing is receiver of Goh Dhanam has to have requisite qualifications and strength to receive the same. Sengalipuram Anantharama Dikshidar's younger brother Anjaneya Dikshidar received the Goh Dhanam.

I don't know much about religious significance.

All the best

i didn't know go-daanam is done late in life.

i did go daanam only last year and i am not old.

someone told me to "do go-daanam it will save your life", and truly, last year i went thru a series of mishaps, escaped accidents four times......one morning on the way to work last year, the taxi i was in rammed into a vehicle in the front with maximum impact, i was really rattled, it was near escape on not one but two occassions...

i dunno if go-daanam helped, perhaps it is superstition, but after someone did the go-daanam on my behalf, things did improve, no accidents, and other things seemed to settle as well...

i too am keen to know the significance of go-danam..

folks,

i have seen many a folks do things, 'in name' ie go through the process, to claim that they have done such and such thing.

i am somewhat gratified that somebody brought up the issue of a 6,000 ruppees கோதானம் which ends up with the butcher. personally, i do not see anything wrong with that, for one man's poisson is another one's poisin.

but we are bringing the issue of faith and the significance of an animal whose supposed sanctity has been drilled into our psyche. much as we have evidence that the true brahmins of yore enjoyed the flavours of beef and horse, we as a community, have eschewed such practices to an extent, that we venerate the animal.

i had a மொட்டைப் பாட்டி living across the street, who used to come rushing out of the house, to grab the pee of the cow and shower it all over her head. much to the amusement of all of us. but that was her faith, and no one stopped her from doing it. i think she equally odd stuff with cow shit, but that is not to be told in a forum.

the veneration of animals, comes in different levels. vegetarians of our community do not simply enjoy putting an end to life, just to consume it and only to see it discarded the next day, though one cannot quite differentiate vegetable waste from that of an animal one.

nowadays, many in the west, if they see the abattoirs, would probably turn away from meat eating. most of the meat is packaged, just like our vegetables, clean and attractive to look. god knows what goes in process, to make it such, but i was told that chckens and cows, bred for meat, do not have much of a life.

in india, however even during my last visit a few months ago, the butcher shop is still out in the open, the flies having a field day with the meat, and the purveyors of the same making some effort to ward them off, while the emptors blind to the flies, eagerly arguing for a cut of the dead meat along with the fly eggs and fly waste. so be it. i think from an hygiene point of view, nobody in india should eat meat.

back to the sacred cow. if you or your loved ones want to donate a cow - there are three ways i think this can be solved. the first, ofcourse, is to go the whole 18 yards, buy the choicest jersy cow, and seek out carefully a cowkeeper who would relish and treat her like a beloved lover. there is satisfaction all around.

the next best thing is to baby cow. i think these may not be expensive. also, there is not much market in india, i think, for veal, which is milk fed baby cows, which are a speciality item for food in the west.

lastly, give some cash and a doll of a cow to some poor guy who will appreciate the cash and throw the doll in the garbage, or if he has a daughter or neice, will give it to her for play.

but let us not play the hypocritic game with our God and selves, that we give one toothless, lame, one blind eyed, senile animal, which in its earlier life resembled a bovine, but now an apology for something resembling a 'cow', throw it at some unseen individual, and proclaim loudly to the world that we performed கோதானம்.

i have a relative who summed up our faith into thre 'C's - convenience, cash and comfort. let us make an effort to wiggle out of these bed of lies.

thank you.

Last edited:
In various slokas for example in Brahaspathi Sloka it is mentioned that chanting of the sloka is equal to giving so many GO DHANAMS. Then there must be some significance. I was told by one of the prohits that giving GOH DHANAAM helps the soul pass through certain journeys it has to undertake after leaving earthly platform.

I am also told that some references are there in GARUDA PURANAM. BUT IT WOULD BE BETTER if some learned VEDIC pandits are invited to explain on this importantant topic.

I would not like to cut into respected and learned patron Mr. JKNJUPPU's line of view which has a blend of WESTERN AIR. On cow's urine if one could go to the BABA RAMDEV'S website we can get ample evidence of the medicinal benefits as revealed by AYURVEDA where one can find advertisements of distilled COW URINE being sold in Bottles.

srinath,

i have qualified in my post, that i have no intention of either mocking or praising religious sentiments with regard to the holy cow.

i hope, my message was clear, in that, the rituals have become, in my opinion, just that - going through the movements, adjusting for our convenience and ultimately deluding ourselves of our piousness and religiosity.

it is a well known fact in mylapore, that every veshti and vessel merchant, will accept those items given as dhaanams and reimburse the வாத்தியார் 50% of the retail price. it does not matter, where the stuff was bought, but it is well known the path that it took.

now a days, i think, even food has no value, as our palates are getting used to a variety from far and wide. in all fairness, i can assume that the வாத்தியார் and his cohorts would have the same experience. why should we think that they should adhere to strict ancient brahmin food which is what தெவச சாப்பாடு is, when we can hardly consume it for one occassion.

this is where, i think, we have double standards. when it comes to our own comfort and convenience, we conveniently side step the ஷாஸ்த்ராஸ் but when it comes to dealing with the வாத்தியார் we heap stuff that we would not willingly partake or enjoy.

my suggestion: why not, instead of go-dhaanam, give this guy a scooter or at best, a bicycle. i think the price range would be comparable, but a சைக்கிள் தானம், i bet, would be appreciated and used daily.

instead of தெவச சாப்பாடு, ask the வாத்தியார் what are his favourite foods. after all, he is the stand in for the pithrus, and if he is satisfied with some கத்தரிக்காய் கொத்சு or பாவக்காய் பிட்லா why not go ahead and prepare the same?

the fact, that தெவச சாப்பாடு is comprised of ingredients re pre european invasion of india. but not necessarily pre mussalman. i can think of ingredients like pomogranates or grapes or some of the other stuff served, are not indigenous to india. or the south.

all i am trying to explain, is that, we should treat our religious practices in the same manner as we do our personal or professional life - while keeping the values intact, update the practices to something that we can be true to, in both spirit and practice.

in this context, i do not understand your reference to my 'blend of western air'. perhaps you can explain.

re the web, there are as many arguements for, as against, in any topic. in the web. to quote one side, what you prefer to believe, i am quite sure, there are opposites, which are equally persuasive. it is upto us, i think, as individuals, to treat every web posting with suspicion, then dig deep into into, and only partake such morsels that may be a delicacy. discard the rest, for those pieces are poison - to the mind, and the soul.

hope this explains.

thank you.

Dear KUNJAPPU.
You have the right to hold on to your views under HUMAN RIGHTS. Well that is your view. What is required is an intepretation from VEDIC SCHOLARS. I do not want to indulge in PROTRACTACTED postings. I have no time for it.

Can be done after the death also, but when they are alive will be more effective due to availibility of cow, person, finance ...etc. Incase of after the death, it should be peformed on 12day event on behalf of the deceased.

There will be total of 64 dhanam, out of which five godhanam need to be done. In general the coconut is considered equallent to the godhanam & the same will be used on that day.

In general due to cost & time factors, utleast one godhanam is considered. Which is required to pass the river of blood during the atman's travel to the pitruloka. Incase of difficulty in getting the required person & cow, the sankalpa will be made on the day with necessary amount kept apart & dhanam will be performed within one year. So the punya will be attributed to the deceased.

Last edited:
sir, One Mr. G.K. Seetharaman M.A. M. Phil astrologer is running one veda paatasaala in 2/346. Agaraharam, Kalancheri post, Saliamangalam -via thanjavur dist. Tamilnadu 613504.Phone no; (04374)239383 239993 mobile 09790223853. He is also an editor of one monthly journal Your family friend. Annual subscription is only Rs.80/.= Only last year the veda paatasaala came here from new delhi as he could not manage with the expenses incured there.He is running the veda paatasaala for the past 21 years. and also he is publishing the journal your family friend for the past 21 years. 3 goshaalas are running now in kalancherey.He will tell you about the proceedure and thesignificance etc;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back