• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Pottu

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tilak or pottu ( bottu ) invokes a feeling of sanctity in the wearer and others. It is recognized as a religious mark. Its form and colour vary according to one's caste, religious sect or the form of the Lord worshipped.

In earlier times, the four castes (based on varna or colour) – Brahmana, Kshatriya, Vaishya and Sudra – applied marks differently. The brahmin applied a white chandan mark signifying purity, as his profession was of a priestly or academic nature. The kshatriya applied a red kumkum mark signifying valour as he belonged to warrior races. The vaishya wore a yellow kesar or turmeric mark signifying prosperity as he was a businessman or trader devoted to creation of wealth. The sudra applied a black bhasma, kasturi or charcoal mark signifying service as he supported the work of the other three divisions.
Also Vishnu worshippers apply a chandan tilak of the shape of "U", Shiva worshippers a tripundra (of the shape of "º ") of bhasma, Devi worshippers a red dot of kumkum and so on).

The tilak cover the spot between the eyebrows, which is the seat of memory and thinking. It is known as the Aajna Chakra in the language of Yoga.. The tilak is applied with the prayer – "May I remember the Lord.. May this pious feeling pervade all my activities. May I be righteous in my deeds." Even when we temporarily forget this prayerful attitude the mark on another reminds us of our resolve. The tilak is thus a blessing of the Lord and a protection against wrong tendencies and forces.

The entire body emanates energy in the form of electromagnetic waves – the forehead and the subtle spot between the eyebrows especially so. That is why worry generates heat and causes a headache. The tilak and pottu cools the forehead, protects us and prevents energy loss. Sometimes the entire forehead is covered with chandan or bhasma. Using plastic reusable "stick bindis" is not very beneficial, even though it serves the purpose of decoration.

Just one question,
I have seen some sanyasis who do not wear any Tilak of any kind on their forehead.
What about these group of people?

Once a person takes up Sanyasa, he has to give up everything. Why he requires a `Tilak' as an exception

All the best

The tilak or pottu ( bottu ) invokes a feeling of sanctity in the wearer and others. It is recognized as a religious mark. Its form and colour vary according to one's caste, religious sect or the form of the Lord worshipped.

In earlier times, the four castes (based on varna or colour) – Brahmana, Kshatriya, Vaishya and Sudra – applied marks differently. The brahmin applied a white chandan mark signifying purity, as his profession was of a priestly or academic nature. The kshatriya applied a red kumkum mark signifying valour as he belonged to warrior races. The vaishya wore a yellow kesar or turmeric mark signifying prosperity as he was a businessman or trader devoted to creation of wealth. The sudra applied a black bhasma, kasturi or charcoal mark signifying service as he supported the work of the other three divisions.
Also Vishnu worshippers apply a chandan tilak of the shape of "U", Shiva worshippers a tripundra (of the shape of "º ") of bhasma, Devi worshippers a red dot of kumkum and so on).

The tilak cover the spot between the eyebrows, which is the seat of memory and thinking. It is known as the Aajna Chakra in the language of Yoga.. The tilak is applied with the prayer – "May I remember the Lord.. May this pious feeling pervade all my activities. May I be righteous in my deeds." Even when we temporarily forget this prayerful attitude the mark on another reminds us of our resolve. The tilak is thus a blessing of the Lord and a protection against wrong tendencies and forces.

The entire body emanates energy in the form of electromagnetic waves – the forehead and the subtle spot between the eyebrows especially so. That is why worry generates heat and causes a headache. The tilak and pottu cools the forehead, protects us and prevents energy loss. Sometimes the entire forehead is covered with chandan or bhasma. Using plastic reusable "stick bindis" is not very beneficial, even though it serves the purpose of decoration.

i just want to ask another question.

The subtle spot between the eybrows which corresponds anatomically(subtle body) with the Aajna Chakra is supposed to be the seat of consciousness/caitanya/kutashta.

Why do we have to keep it covered?
Would it be not better if we did not cover it for free flow of electromagnetic waves of conciousness to pervade our entire body.

I am asking this question out of curiosity as I feel very uncomfortable and uneasy when I place anything on my forehead(in between my eyebrows) whether vibuthi, chandan, etc and only place all this on my neck when I receive it from the preist in the temple and even though I am married i dont wear Pottu for the same reason.

Please can someone respond.

Thank you for the info of pottu. I've also been told that wearing a pottu can keep away evil eye (nazar) and protect the wearer from kann dhrishti.

I personally would love to wear pottu as often as possible but get funny looks here wearing them. Once when I was coming back from the temple I had vibhuti and pottu, a few months back and on the tube this Englishman sitting next to me said " Are you Indian?" gesturing to my forehead. "Do you know in India they are killing us Christians".

I found it threatening and a bit embarassing as half the carriage turned and looked at me. So I tend not to wear pottu/vibhuti these days on public tranport.

The Tilak spot is consciously placed at the center of the forehead between the eyebrows. This location is significant being the location of ajna chakra, which is also known as the third eye, the eye of wisdom (jnana chakshu) or the Divine eye (divya chakshu). It is the aim of devout Hindus and yogis to open or awaken ajna chakra by constant meditation. So, this is significant because at ajna chakra is where conscious and unconscious minds unify and the element of duality merges into the one universal entity.

Therefore, the tilak signifies the quest to awaken ajna chakra. At Hindu ceremonies and rites the vermilion tilak topped with a few grains of rice are placed at the eyebrow center. This custom is also used for welcoming or bidding farewell to guests and relations. Kumkum, a red powder made from turmeric, iodine, alum and camphor can be used for the tilak, as can sandalwood paste blended with musk. Both of these blends are beneficial when mediating on ajna chakra. Sacred ash (yagna) from ceremonial fires or funeral pyres is considered to be most beneficial for yogis and sanyasis because of the renounced attachments to worldly life and the ash is a symbol of this detachment.

According to followers of Tantrism, this chakra is the exit point for kundalini energy. The pottu is said to retain energy and strengthen concentration. It is also said to protect against demons or bad luck .

Numerous mentions have been made about Tilak in the ancient scriptures such as Vedas and Upanishads. Rig Veda has given an elaborate description about the life of Goddess Usha, the consort of Lord Surya. She is portrayed as wearing a red dot on her forehead that signifies the rising sun.

RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back