• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jaya’s life story admirable, says first Tamil in US Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Democrat Raja Krishnamoorthi's parental roots are in Chennai!! A good tribute to JJ

Jaya’s life story admirable, says first Tamil in US Congress

TNN | Updated: Dec 10, 2016, 01.10 AM IST

55902590.jpg

Jayalalithaa

CHENNAI: Indian-American Democrat Raja Krishnamoorthi, endorsed by US president Barack Obama, won the US Congressional election from Illinois last month. Krishnamoorthi, whose parents and wife are Tamils, was born in Delhi, and moved to the US as a toddler. On a private visit to Chennai, he told reporters on Friday that he was 'very impressed' by the way the people of Tamil Nadu conducted themselves while mourning former chief minister J Jayalalithaa who passed away on Monday.

He said, "the people conducted themselves in a very orderly manner, very peaceful. And they mourned the passing away of their leader in a very dignified fashion. It was a sight to see," he said.
"Anybody who was here and saw the outpouring of emotion and love and affection for her, regardless of what you thought about her politics recognised that she had a special bond with the people of her state," he said. Regardless of where you stand on her politics, he added, "you can admire her up-by-your-bootstraps life story, going from nothing and making her life into something special and also, her commitment to the uplift of the poor."

Commenting on Indo-US ties under the leadership of president-elect Donald Trump, he said, "Both Republican and Democratic presidents have established a very strong relationship between India and the US in the last decade. I believe that trend will continue."

On policy changes on immigration, "With regard to people who come to the US to work in high-tech jobs, it's my humble opinion that we should do everything we can to attract the best and brightest talent the world can offer. We want to encourage more legal immigration."

Responding to a query on his personal thoughts on Trump, he said, "I wish every American President well. That being said, he did pursue certain divisive rhetoric during the election, and I hope that he backs away from that rhetoric, and moderates his tone, lowers the temperature of our dialogue, and that we can cooperate on issues of economic prosperity."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Tamil-in-US-Congress/articleshow/55901357.cms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back