• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Prostration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prostration is mostly followed by Bhudhist monks. In Hinduism Shastanga pranam is the most practised way of paying respect. Don't know much about how many time it should be done and also whether there is any special consideration for bhramacharies and grihasta.. May be Gopalan Sir could throw some light

Indians prostrate before their parents, elders, teachers and noble souls by touching their feet. The elder in turn blesses us by placing his or her hand on or over our heads. Prostration is done daily, when we meet elders and particularly on important occasions like the beginning of a new task, birthdays, festivals etc. In certain traditional circles, prostration is accompanied by abhivaadana, which serves to introduce one-self, announce one’s family and social stature.
Man stands on his feet. Touching the feet in prostration is a sign of respect for the age, maturity, nobility and divinity that our elders personify. It symbolizes our recognition of their selfless love for us and the sacrifices they have done for our welfare. It is a way of humbly acknowledging the greatness of another. This tradition reflects the strong family ties, which has been one of India’s enduring strengths.
The good wishes (Sankalpa) and blessings (aashirvaada) of elders are highly valued in India. We prostrate to seek them. Good thoughts create positive vibrations. Good wishes springing from a heart full of love, divinity and nobility have a tremendous strength. When we prostrate with humility and respect, we invoke the good wishes and blessings of elders, which flow in the form of positive energy to envelop us. This is why the posture assumed whether it is in the standing or prone position, enables the entire body to receive the energy thus received.
The different forms of showing respect are :
Pratuthana – rising to welcome a person.
Namaskaara – paying homage in the form of namaste
Upasangrahan – touching the feet of elders or teachers.
Shaashtaanga – prostrating fully with the feet, knees, stomach, chest, forehead and arms touching the ground in front of the elder.
Pratyabivaadana – returning a greeting.

I have seen some people repeat the prostration at the temples, but I do not know any reason for it.

Last edited:
Surfing Indus Ladies forum, I got one info:

''Not all Iyengars 'sevichufy' 4 times. Tam Iyengars can be divided into two groups. One is 'Vadakalai'

and the other one is 'Thenkalai'. Vadakalai Iynegars follow Sri Vedantha Desikar as their guru and

Thenkalai Iyengars follow Sri Ramanuja.

Vadakalai Iyengars believe that it is necessary to offer obesaince/prostration to God multiple times,

while Thenkalai Iyengars believe that it is enough if you offer obesaiance/prostration to God once.

This is the reason as to why a Vadakalai Iyengar is often seen prostrating four times, while Thenkalai

Iyengars are seen prostrating only once.''

Source:
indusladies.com /namaskaram /page-2 post # 14

hi

i saw some monks prostraying in entire manasaraovar parikrama in mount kailash in a documentary...

Renukaji
Iyengar wives follow husbands kalai.

If the husband is thenkalai, they prostrate once .

If he happens to be vadagalai,bad luck ,it is four times.

Moral of the story -marry thengalai iyengar if you do not want to prostrate more than once..

Renukaji
Iyengar wives follow husbands kalai.

If the husband is thenkalai, they prostrate once .

If he happens to be vadagalai,bad luck ,it is four times.

Moral of the story -marry thengalai iyengar if you do not want to prostrate more than once..

In that case its better to marry a Vadakalai cos 4 times prostrations ...its a good exercise and would keep one fit!

Dear Renu,

Though only one namaskaram is advocated to our group, I do two times!

One to bless me and the next to bless my family! Weird, right? :)

P.S: I am NOT a Thenkalai Iyengar! :D

Surfing Indus Ladies forum, I got one info:

''Not all Iyengars 'sevichufy' 4 times. Tam Iyengars can be divided into two groups. One is 'Vadakalai'

and the other one is 'Thenkalai'. Vadakalai Iynegars follow Sri Vedantha Desikar as their guru and

Thenkalai Iyengars follow Sri Ramanuja.

Vadakalai Iyengars believe that it is necessary to offer obesaince/prostration to God multiple times,

while Thenkalai Iyengars believe that it is enough if you offer obesaiance/prostration to God once.

This is the reason as to why a Vadakalai Iyengar is often seen prostrating four times, while Thenkalai

Iyengars are seen prostrating only once.''

Source:
indusladies.com /namaskaram /page-2 post # 14

RRji,

When we copy paste from the internet forums, sometimes, we post without really knowing the subject. Here there is a grievous mistake in the quote you have posted. Let me correct it.

Thenkalai aiengars and Vadakalai Aiyengars -- all aiyengars -- follow Ramanuja without exception.

Vedanta Desikan is an Acharya who came after Ramanuja and another Acharya Manavala Mamunigal also came after Ramanuja. Manavala Mamunikal is the Acharya followed by Thenkalais.

I think 1 prostration is enough. Surrender is unconditional. Where is there room for multiple ones.
It is like death sentence, once carried out, there is no need for the second one.
No disrespect to any sect or religion.

........... Thenkalai aiengars and Vadakalai Aiyengars -- all aiyengars -- follow Ramanuja without exception.

Vedanta Desikan is an Acharya who came after Ramanuja and another Acharya Manavala Mamunigal also came after Ramanuja. Manavala Mamunikal is the Acharya followed by Thenkalais.
​Thank you very much, Vaagmi Sir! :)

In that case its better to marry a Vadakalai cos 4 times prostrations ...its a good exercise and would keep one fit!
Vadagalai iyengars consider themselves superior to thengalai iyengars.

They are the more affluent lot.

Thengalai types use more tamil in worship.

Vadagalai will ensure girls prostrate four times to guard their sect exclusiveness.

By the way I am thengalai on fathers side and vadagalai on mothers side.

So I follow neither convention on prostration.Lol

Dear Renu,

Though only one namaskaram is advocated to our group, I do two times!

One to bless me and the next to bless my family! Weird, right? :)

P.S: I am NOT a Thenkalai Iyengar! :D

Dear RR ji,

Why do you consider yourself as separate from your family that you need to prostrate two times?

..... Why do you consider yourself as separate from your family that you need to prostrate two times?
Dear Renu,

This might be my thought process:
Do once to seek blessings for self and then the second time for extension of blessings! :grouphug:

Ego?? :noidea:

Hi ,

Here is an explanation that may answer the original questions of 4 Namaskarams to a saint. It is done in the smarta tradition irrespective of brahmachari or gruhastha. Always it is "Vandhe guru paramparam". so the 4 namaskarams is to Guru ,prama guru, Paramesti guru and Parapara guru.

Thanks,
Arun M

Dear Readers,

Thank you for your support but please do not play with sentiments.

I am not sure whether you playfully replied but believe & pray that it did not hurt anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back