• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

China -Some Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just returned from a wonderful holiday from Beijing and hongkong.

It is one of the best experiences that I have had in a long time.

The visa formalities were simple. I got a chinese visa in 3 days, hongkong did not require a visa for short stay.

Beijing takes just three hours from hongkong and hongkong 5 hours from delhi.Not very far off.

Since I was in transit in Hongkong, I was selective in sightseeing. Took airport metro and local hop in hop off bus to see the market places around the city and

went up by mountain train to the top most mountain peak called victoria peak or just the peak.

It is highest point in hongkong and on can see the skyscrapers and the victoria harbour.

It is a delightful place for a short trip.

At various levels up the mountain there are shopping malls and dining experiences.

I left for beijing just three hours by flight after hongkong stop over

At Beijing airport there is meticulous screening though courteous.

Toilets were ae dirty as india [felt homely]

Beijing nice mix or traditional and modern.

They have preserved their monuments [Great wall, tiananmen square, forbidden city ,ming tombs] wonderfully . Roads and skyscrapers were like any western capital.

Language and food [veg food] are issues.

There are some indian hotels difficult to locate.

Best carry chinese cards of places wanting to visit to ask cab drivers.

Weather is just like delhi -31degrees during day and humid and rains.

Shopping is a great experience-Bargain like hell starting at 20% of price quoted. Indian housewives might relish the experience.

People are friendly. Only language is an issue.Not many know english.

Spent three days visiting monuments.

Shall write again on that

Great wall is 70 km from the city . It stretches across east to west of 5000km , It is made up of fortifications of stones, brick, wood and other construction material . I

went to badaling. Way up one can take bus plus cable cars which are senior citizen friendly. It was built by Ming emperors.From the top one can see far off . There are

watch towers at periodic intervals. One can spend a day there.Chinese have kept the place very clean.Bought some local trinkets of tourist interest including hats ,

scarves.Got photos with local backdrop of the wall.

Equally great place to visit is Tianenman man square with mao's photo on the wall and saw the troop march. Reminded me our rajpath and rashtrapathi bhavan area.

One could enter thru the square into Forbidden city - a couple of kilometre length of gates and arches and buildings of ming dynasty from 1400 AD .

One has to walk a lot with hundreds of tourists -no vehicle allowed inside.

i was exhausted after a few hours in blazing sun inside the city.

The other places I visited are Ming emperor tombs and Temple of heaven.

Chines also believe in concept of heaven.

chines have seen to it there are no idols anywhere. even in museum.

I saw only one of Gautama the buddha.

Last edited:
Local people are friendly.Only language is an issue.

Shopping is interesting with haggling.

It is a costly economy.

They have not done better in regulating prices.

Everything is controlled and people are shut off from outside world. No google, gmail. twitter.

So no evil US influence.

City goes dead by 9pm and they are early risers.

It is a safe city one can take cabs safely at late hours.

I felt pretty comfortable shut off from noise of the world.

I could completely relax forgetting a world exists outside of beijing..

we may not like their way of living. They have a paid a high price in terms of freedom for economic prosperity.

But I did not see any beggar, poorly clad local loitering anywhere.

It is amazing that they have been able to make their millions work , feed and clothe them fully. Thats creditable.

Dear krish 44, Your detailed experiences of Beijing & Hong kong would be useful to all., because you always explain things in a personal way, as though talking directly , as a friend. You are a Globe trotter & getting lots of experiences in life.Your contribution to this forum is very useful. , like a few more of this forum .All , in the forum are sincere/ honest & new members can always gain .
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan)

Nice experience...I was also in China in 2002...I had been to Shanghai, Guangzhou & Hongkong then..It was a business trip...Not much of sight seeing...Shanghai was a concrete jungle even then...They had a very good infrastructure..Went from Hongkong by train to Guangzhou..It was a wonderful experience...As you mentioned veg food was a challenge..I used to mix rice and chilly sauce and some boiled vegetables..I used to wonder if the gravy was veg?..I liked the tea which was served like water...It is green leaf tea..Has medicinal properties too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back