• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

SHOCKING! Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how we kill agriculture! Why was the auction delayed in first place! Do we get a price for perishables after allowing it to rot?

[h=1]SHOCKING! Nashik farmer gets 5 paise per kg for onions[/h]

August 25, 2016 19:03

24onion1.jpg

A farmer from Karanjgaon village in Maharashtra's Nashik district has claimed to have got the rate of 5 paise per kg for onions, prompting him to dump his produce of 13 quintals in his field in protest, even as a trader blamed "poor quality" of bulb for the low price.

Sudhakar Darade, who hails from Niphad taluka, said his onions got valued at Rs 5 per quintal (100 kg) at Saikheda sub-agriculture produce market committee on Tuesday.

He said his entire produce of 13 quintals was offered a rate of Rs 65 in total.

The distressed farmer said he incurred more than Rs 700 per acre for cultivating onions and paid Rs 780 towards transportation charges for bringing the product to the APMC.

Upset over the valuation, Darade returned home and threw 13 quintal of onion in his field.

Nashik district is known for production of red onions. The onion market in Lasalgaon in district is Asia's largest wholesale APMC for onions.

"I had cultivated onions on my 10-acre land in November- December last year. I stored around 1,000 quintals of onions at home, hoping that I will get good price in April. However, auctioning of onions got severely affected due to the 35-day strike at APMCs in district during June-July, as a result of which onions perished," he said.

However, sources at APMC said that condition of onions brought by Darade was bad and their size was small.

"Onions are currently auctioned at Rs 600-700 per quintal in APMCs, but farmers are bringing wet onion stock. On Tuesday, one farmer (Darade) brought onions for auction at Saikheda. However, most of his produce was wet and rotten. Still, some of his good quality onions were valued at Rs 25 per quintal, but wet and perished onions were valued at Rs 5 per quintal or 5 paise per kg," said Suresh Kamankar, an onion trader.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...g-for-onions/8350cb59002e450b73cf79892e1e827a

Praveen,

Can you remove or combine the thread with another thread started by Shri Prasad on same topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back