• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian man carries dead wife's body for 12km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad state of affairs in Orissa

By Sandeep Sahu Bhubaneswar

• 25 August 2016

Dana Majhi's wife Amang, 42, died from tuberculosis in the district hospital in Bhawanipatna town in Orissa state.
Mr Majhi said his village was 60km (37 miles) away and he couldn't afford to hire a vehicle.
The hospital authorities have denied his charge.
'No choice'

"The woman was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday and died the same night. Her husband took away her body without informing any hospital staff," senior medical official B Brahma said.
Mr Majhi, however, alleged that his wife died on Tuesday night and that he began walking with her body on Wednesday after the hospital staff kept asking him to remove the body.
"I kept pleading with the hospital staff to provide a vehicle to carry my wife's body, but to no avail. Since I am a poor man and could not hire a private vehicle, I had no choice but to carry her body on my shoulder," he said.

Early on Wednesday, he said, he wrapped up the body in cloth and began the long trek to his village in Melghar for the last rites, accompanied by his 12-year-old daughter Chaula.
He had walked for about 12km when some people on the way intervened and an ambulance finally arrived.
The cremation took place on Wednesday evening.
Compensation

The district collector for Kalahandi (where Bhawanipatna town is located) Brunda D said she arranged a vehicle to transport Amang's body as soon as she came to know about it.
"I have asked the local officials to provide 2,000 rupees ($30; £22) to the family under the Harischandra Yojana [a government scheme which entitles poor people the amount to cremate a family member]. Besides, the family would also get 10,000 rupees from the Red Cross," she said.
In February, the state government had announced a scheme to ensure that a mortuary vehicle was available to carry the bodies of the poor from the hospital to their homes.
But in a telling commentary on the state of the healthcare services in Orissa, at least half a dozen cases of bodies being transported on bicycles, trolley rickshaws and even wooden cots have been reported from remote areas in the past few months.
After reports of Mr Majhi's ordeal emerged, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik formally launched the scheme on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37183011

The poor guy did not have the money...Many Government schemes which are launched with lots of fanfare get stymied by poor implementation!

There are quite a few Organizations who provide free / very low cost service to take dead body and do the last rites but people need to be informed of the same . A few years back a friend of mine called to inform that one person has died ( he was a TB ) and the family is so poor and cant afford any form of expenses to do the basic expenses for the last rites and he told he is putting some amount and I also joined the same and contacted few people closer to me and all of us pulled up sufficient amount that made it possible for the poor chap to get some decent last rites .I feel every Hospital must have a list of agnecies who are willing to do the last rites for a dead person free or for very low cost . This must not happen again .

Sad state of affairs in Orissa

By Sandeep Sahu Bhubaneswar

• 25 August 2016

Dana Majhi's wife Amang, 42, died from tuberculosis in the district hospital in Bhawanipatna town in Orissa state.
Mr Majhi said his village was 60km (37 miles) away and he couldn't afford to hire a vehicle.
The hospital authorities have denied his charge.
'No choice'

"The woman was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday and died the same night. Her husband took away her body without informing any hospital staff," senior medical official B Brahma said.
Mr Majhi, however, alleged that his wife died on Tuesday night and that he began walking with her body on Wednesday after the hospital staff kept asking him to remove the body.
"I kept pleading with the hospital staff to provide a vehicle to carry my wife's body, but to no avail. Since I am a poor man and could not hire a private vehicle, I had no choice but to carry her body on my shoulder," he said.

Early on Wednesday, he said, he wrapped up the body in cloth and began the long trek to his village in Melghar for the last rites, accompanied by his 12-year-old daughter Chaula.
He had walked for about 12km when some people on the way intervened and an ambulance finally arrived.
The cremation took place on Wednesday evening.
Compensation

The district collector for Kalahandi (where Bhawanipatna town is located) Brunda D said she arranged a vehicle to transport Amang's body as soon as she came to know about it.
"I have asked the local officials to provide 2,000 rupees ($30; £22) to the family under the Harischandra Yojana [a government scheme which entitles poor people the amount to cremate a family member]. Besides, the family would also get 10,000 rupees from the Red Cross," she said.
In February, the state government had announced a scheme to ensure that a mortuary vehicle was available to carry the bodies of the poor from the hospital to their homes.
But in a telling commentary on the state of the healthcare services in Orissa, at least half a dozen cases of bodies being transported on bicycles, trolley rickshaws and even wooden cots have been reported from remote areas in the past few months.
After reports of Mr Majhi's ordeal emerged, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik formally launched the scheme on Thursday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37183011

Quite embarrassing. Has humanity dead in this of the world? Okay government aids never reaches in time. Wasn't there anyone at least to sponsor an ambulance at that time. Don't know what to say.

Quite embarrassing. Has humanity dead in this of the world? Okay government aids never reaches in time. Wasn't there anyone at least to sponsor an ambulance at that time. Don't know what to say.
hi

in this modern world...money is criteria....humanity comes later....we say.....INDIA HAS MORE MIILLIONERS/BILLIONERS....

its ONLY IN PAPER NOTES....NOT IN HEART....STILL INDIA IS VERY POOR COUNTRY IN VILLAGES.....THIRD WORLD

COUNTRY....ATTITUDE NEVER CHANGES.....ONLY CITIES ARE SHOW OFF..MANY VILLAGES IN BIMARU STATES

WORSE THAN THIS IN ODISHA....

There are quite a few Organizations who provide free / very low cost service to take dead body and do the last rites but people need to be informed of the same . A few years back a friend of mine called to inform that one person has died ( he was a TB ) and the family is so poor and cant afford any form of expenses to do the basic expenses for the last rites and he told he is putting some amount and I also joined the same and contacted few people closer to me and all of us pulled up sufficient amount that made it possible for the poor chap to get some decent last rites .I feel every Hospital must have a list of agnecies who are willing to do the last rites for a dead person free or for very low cost . This must not happen again .

Well said.

BHAWANIPATNA: Over the past two days television cameras kept beaming the image of Dana Majhi carrying his wife's lifeless body on his shoulders, his daughter in tow, trying desperately to reach home after he was denied an ambulance by staff at Bhawanipatna hospital in Kalahandi district. The 42-year-old became a symbol of everything that was wrong with Odisha. His plight became a national talking point. Probes were ordered, speeches made, protests launched while strict punishment was promised for the guilty even as the Naveen Patnaik government drew flak for the poor healthcare facility, in the state.

Two days hence and after plenty of hue and cry in India and abroad, Majhi has now come on record saying he did not inform anybody at the hospital and quietly left with his wife's body. Moreover, he has also confessed that he never sought anyone's help to carry the body back to his village in Melghara, some 60km away from Bhawanipatna hospital in Kalahandi district."The doctor treated my wife thrice and his last visit was at 10 in the night. She died around 2am. When I felt that she was no more I took her body without informing any of the patients who were there in the female ward," Majhi told the media on Friday, adding that since there was no attendant in the female ward, he decided to leave with his wife's body.

He claimed that he lost his bearing following his wife Amang Dei's death. He did not know what to do and did not even ask anyone at the hospital if he could have a vehicle to carry the body home. "Mo munda kama kala nahin se mala pare (My brain stopped working following my wife's death)," he added. Explaining further, he said since they did not have any relatives in Bhawanipatna he decided to seek help once reaching Sagada, some 10km away.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-he-didnt-seek-help/articleshow/53884420.cms

If you do not know, and did not know how to ask for help, how can anyone save that person? Similar situation could have happened anywhere in the world. Yes there are more help available in other places but generally people know how to ask for help. I am not condoning the State agencies in anyway, but ultimately it is Dana Majhi's responsibility.

Last edited:
BHAWANIPATNA: Over the past two days television cameras kept beaming the image of Dana Majhi carrying his wife's lifeless body on his shoulders, his daughter in tow, trying desperately to reach home after he was denied an ambulance by staff at Bhawanipatna hospital in Kalahandi district. The 42-year-old became a symbol of everything that was wrong with Odisha. His plight became a national talking point. Probes were ordered, speeches made, protests launched while strict punishment was promised for the guilty even as the Naveen Patnaik government drew flak for the poor healthcare facility, in the state.

Two days hence and after plenty of hue and cry in India and abroad, Majhi has now come on record saying he did not inform anybody at the hospital and quietly left with his wife's body. Moreover, he has also confessed that he never sought anyone's help to carry the body back to his village in Melghara, some 60km away from Bhawanipatna hospital in Kalahandi district."The doctor treated my wife thrice and his last visit was at 10 in the night. She died around 2am. When I felt that she was no more I took her body without informing any of the patients who were there in the female ward," Majhi told the media on Friday, adding that since there was no attendant in the female ward, he decided to leave with his wife's body.

He claimed that he lost his bearing following his wife Amang Dei's death. He did not know what to do and did not even ask anyone at the hospital if he could have a vehicle to carry the body home. "Mo munda kama kala nahin se mala pare (My brain stopped working following my wife's death)," he added. Explaining further, he said since they did not have any relatives in Bhawanipatna he decided to seek help once reaching Sagada, some 10km away.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...s-he-didnt-seek-help/articleshow/53884420.cms

If you do not know, and did not know how to ask for help, how can anyone save that person? Similar situation could have happened anywhere in the world. Yes there are more help available in other places but generally people know how to ask for help. I am not condoning the State agencies in anyway, but ultimately it is Dana Majhi's responsibility.

The latest turn in the story seems to be a little difficult to swallow. It is quite difficult for some one to carry a dead body like this without the knowledge of authorities. Particularly in any government institution, there are lot of formalities to be completed before the body reaches your hand. If any body is found missing like this there must be a hue and cry and search for the missing body would be there which in this case is absent. The man has covered about 12 Kms with the body which naturally could have taken very long time. Hospital authorities were silent during this time until his story started appearing in the press So the story that he took the body without the knowledge of the authorities is almost impossible to be true. Secondly the clippings the body as well packed to be carried out which shows the preparedness of the authorities to hand over the body to the kith and kin of the deceased. What I strongly believe is the poor man is forced to change his statement may be under pressure from some quarter possibly as an after thought, after the news made headlines in visual and print media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back