• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Srardham and Tharpanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rajesh Khanna

Dear Members,

I wish to detail my below concern and seek your advise on how to handle this problem
  • I am from Tamil Iyer community. My paternal grand parents got separated from each other long ago. There are no whereabouts of my paternal grand father. my paternal grand mother was raising my father. Few years ago my grand mother passed away. However, due to internal fights between my father and his sister (my athai), my father was not allowed to perform his rituals to his mother, which is primarily for taking over her property.
  • Ever since this happened, my father also did not take any steps to remedy this problem or to carry out his duties regularly. He is not performing tharpanams as well as srardhams regularly.
  • In between when we consulted an astrologer who mentioned about pitru dosha and as per his advise, we carried out tila homam. My father has performed this ritual and went to rameshwaram also to carry out the required activities. Thereafter, for few months he did perform monthly tharpanams, but did not continue that for long. Now he is no longer doing the same.
  • Also during the annual death anniversay he is not performing any srardham. My mother has been regularly calling a sumangali to our home every year on that day and offering her food and saree, which she feels is the best she can do in this situation.

Our efforts to convince my father to carry out his duties are in vain and is going to deaf man's ears only. The astrologer who carried out tila homam mentioned that the ill-effects of the failure to do rituals at the death of grand mother is remedied through the same. However, monthly tharpanams are a must. Adding to this woes, there is no news about my paternal grandfather.

I know very well that these debts are constantly haunting our family and leading to our sufferings. Is there anything I can do to nullify this impact. Can I perform monthly tharpanams to my grand mother (I understand that I dont have the right to do srardham since my father is alive). Since I don't know the status of my grand father, what can be done. If I cannot do so, can my mother carryout the rituals including srardham.

Your best advise on this matter will help our family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back