• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who has more responsibility/authority t Thevasam when Amma is dead & Appa is alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has more responsibility/authority t Thevasam when Amma is dead & Appa is alive

In our family, my mother passed away at a young age. My father is alive. Every year, when it comes to Amma's Thevasam, there is a constant discussion around who needs to be more responsible to perform the Thevasam.

I am not discussing here on whether we should do Thevasam or not. But it is more of responsibility.

When father is alive and mother is dead, who has more authority/responsiblity to do Thevasam. Is it the Father or the Son?

Also, is it right to do the Thevasam in a different country if the son is travelling? In other words, who should be definitely present in the Thevasam ceremony?

Regards!

Ram Ram ,

dharmasasthra lists 33 Karthas for pitru kariyams in a specific order. Son comes first. In case of having a son , A husband has no right in his wife's funeral and thevasams. It is definetly on the son's part. The only thing that a husband of the deceased can do is performing tharpanams . A son cannot perform tharpanam until his father is alive.

Performing devasam in different country is not advisable. but no other go ,perform it in the visiting country and after coming back to india perform once again . consult aathu vadhyar.

Thanks,
Arun M

தகப்பனார் அவரது தாயார் தகபனாருக்கெ தெவசம் செய்ய முடியும். மனைவிக்கு செய்ய முடியாது. பிள்லை யே தாயாருக்கு செய்ய வேண்டும். ஒவ்வொரு ஆண் மகனும் தனி தனியாக அவர்களாது தாயாருக்கு சிராத்தம் செய்ய வேண்டும். வெளீ நாட்டில் இருந்தாலும் அங்கும் செய்து விட்டு இங்கு வந்தவுடன் இங்கும் செய்ய வேண்டும்...

I agree with Mr.Gopalans wordings. The father has no right to do srartham or tharpanam to his wife. He can do sratham or tharpanam to his mother.
The eldest son is having right to do srartham. It is not advisable to do srarrham in aborad. If in an unavoidable circumstsances the srasrtham can be performed
on the thithi in abroad. But he should do the srastham once again after he returns to home country i.e India.

If all the brothers are living as a joint family then it is enough that the eldest son do the sratham. If they are living seperately then they should do srartham seperately.
Till the father alive they have no right to do tharpanam even on the srartham date.

Rajappa Namakkal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back