• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Culture : Who has the monoploly on that word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

In this forum some members think they have monopoly on the word culture.
The always talk of other people as going against TB culture. Or that they are the paragon of the TB culture, even though they might be a minority of ONE.
I always ask the meaning of their conviction about some practice to be a measure of TB culture. The very same people on the other hand do not follow some time tested TB practices.

People rile against other people's kids marriage outside of their sub-caste, but do not mind drinking alcohol or eating meat on their own.
I think it is hypocrisy (according to dictionary.com)
A pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

If you really want to know cultures then please visit the following site
http://www.everyculture.com/

http://www.everyculture.com/Ge-It/India.html
[h=2]Culture Name[/h] Indian, Hindu, Bharati

[h=2]Orientation[/h]
Identification. India constitutes the largest part of the subcontinental land mass of South Asia, an area it shares with six other countries, including Nepal, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. It has highly variable landforms, that range from torrid plains, tropical islands, and a parched desert to the highest mountain range in the world.
Location and Geography. India, on the southern subcontinent of Asia, is bounded on the northwest by Pakistan; on the north by China and Tibet, Nepal and Bhutan; on the northeast by Bangladesh and Burma (Myanmar); and on the southwest and southeast by the Indian Ocean, with the island republics of Sri Lanka and the Maldives to the south. Excluding small parts of the country that are currently occupied by Chinese or Pakistani military forces, the area of the Republic of India is 1,222,237 square miles (3,165,596 square kilometers).
Demography. The 1991 census enumerated 846,302,688 residents, including 407,072,230 women, and 217 million people defined as urban dwellers. However, with a population growth rate estimated at 17 per one thousand in 1998, by May 2000 the national figure reached one billion. Life expectancy in the 1991 census was sixty years, and in 1997 it was estimated that almost 5 percent of the population was age 65 or older. The population is still primarily rural, with 73 percent of the population in 1997 living outside the cities and towns. In 1991, the largest urban centers were Bombay or Mumbai (12,596,243), Calcutta or Kolkata (11,021,915), Delhi (8,419,084), Madras or Chennai (5,421,985), Hyderabad (4,253,759), and Bangalore (4,130,288).
Linguistic Affiliations. There are four major language families, each with numerous languages. Indo-Aryan, a branch of Indo-European, covers the northern half of the country, and the Dravidian family covers the southern third. In the middle regions a number of tribal languages of the Munda or Austroasiatic family are spoken. In the northeastern hills, numerous Tibeto-Burman languages are spoken.
Symbolism. The national flag, which was adopted in 1947, is a tricolor of deep saffron, white, and green, in horizontal bands (with green at the bottom). In the center of the white band is a blue wheel, the chakra , which also appears on the lion column-capital of the Emperor Asoka at Sarnath. This carving, which is over 2,200 years old, is also a national emblem that is preserved in the Sarnath Museum. The sandstone carving features four lions back to back, separated by wheels ( chakra , the wheel of law), standing over a bell-shaped lotus. The whole carving once was surmounted by the wheel of law. The national anthem is a song composed by Rabindranath Tagore in 1911 entitled Jana-gana mana. The nearly useless Saka-era calendar also may be considered a national symbol, adopted in 1957 and still often used officially alongside the Gregorian calendar.

Its not only a TB phenomenon I feel to be keepers of culture..overall its a Tamilian phenomenon.

Even out here its only Tamilians of any kind that preach about culture and those who do not seem to display outward signs and symptoms of culture are chastised as if some major crime has been committed and many of these types here who preach are not in anyway having all that great values to start with.

For me I feel those who preach the most about culture usually are not honest with themselves.

Once a person who has 2 wives that too both wives are sisters..he seduced his sister in law when his wife was in confinement after delivery....this guy once asked me why as a married Hindu female I did not wear Pottu and he was accusing me of not knowing culture.

So I fired him saying..."what is your concern? Am I married to you? As it is you have 2 wives at home wearing 2 pottus for you..so stop trying to preach to others when you are no Uttaman"

He was speechless.

There are preachy types and non preachy types.

the former category preach on all subjects not necessarily on culture alone.

Having two wives has nothing much to do with this person preaching.

Why?

Are any qualifications prescribed for preachers?

Men have always been polygamous.

even now some religion allow four wives.

I think polygamy got discouraged more due to fear of transmitted diseases than religion.

Religion later on latched on to one man one woman principle

Preaching is a way of life with some and a personalty trait.

Others of course can try their level best to avoid/evade them

For me I feel those who preach the most about culture usually are not honest with themselves.

Sringeri Acharya Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati always discouraged people from preaching to others about culture , sashtras etc and rather asked them to focus their time and energy on putting into practice what they want to preach in their own lives and those who are keen to follow the same will be attracted to them and will follow them seeing them living what they are really serious about . He believed this had a far better effect rather than going about preaching to others and not living the same in their own lives .

Sringeri Acharya Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati always discouraged people from preaching to others about culture , sashtras etc and rather asked them to focus their time and energy on putting into practice what they want to preach in their own lives and those who are keen to follow the same will be attracted to them and will follow them seeing them living what they are really serious about . He believed this had a far better effect rather than going about preaching to others and not living the same in their own lives .

True...unless someone seeks our opinion its better not to preach cos we do not know if we can live up to what we preach.

I always belief its safer not to preach so that we are free to even behave like a Devil and no one can point finger at us!LOL

True...unless someone seeks our opinion its better not to preach cos we do not know if we can live up to what we preach.

I always belief its safer not to preach so that we are free to even behave like a Devil and no one can point finger at us!LOL

hi renu,

we dont want to preach abt CHINNA VEEDU...but we can keep chinna veedu...no one can point finger at us...LOL

with one alphabet change, culture becomes vulture.

What we have is many culture vultures waiting to feed on the gullible.

when someone talks of culture of higher caste I instinctively run away from those types and topics.

what acts get done in use of that word would make many shudder.

See culture police engaging in violent acts against youngsters in india on valentine day.

The very purpose of starting these types of threads is to goad other members to post their views and opinions and to brand them as preachers, dishonest in their actions/words etc.

In this forum some members think they have monopoly on the word culture.
The always talk of other people as going against TB culture. Or that they are the paragon of the TB culture, even though they might be a minority of ONE.
I always ask the meaning of their conviction about some practice to be a measure of TB culture. The very same people on the other hand do not follow some time tested TB practices.

It may be vultures making more noise about culture.

The OP is 'Culture : Who has the monoploly on that word'

Does it mean World cutlure, Indian culture or TB culture..??

The preamble part of the thread speaks about Tamil Brahmin culture.

And there is link furnished which speaks about world culture.

Later part of the thread speaks about Bharat, Indian, Hindu, etc

And members discuss about preaching and importance of practicing principles in real life.

By the way What is TB culture??

Thread opener has opened a thread way back in 2013 under caption ‘What is Tamil Brahmin ‘Culture’?

Link is given hereunder for the sake of members who missed it and interested in going through that.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=12246

It may be vultures making more noise about culture.
The OP is 'Culture : Who has the monoploly on that word'

Does it mean World cutlure, Indian culture or TB culture..??
The preamble part of the thread speaks about Tamil Brahmin culture.
And there is link furnished which speaks about world culture.

Later part of the thread speaks about Bharat, Indian, Hindu, etc
And members discuss about preaching and importance of practicing principles in real life.
By the way What is TB culture??
Thread opener has opened a thread way back in 2013 under caption ‘What is Tamil Brahmin ‘Culture’?
Link is given hereunder for the sake of members who missed it and interested in going through that.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=12246

It is usually politicians who freely use the term culture without really understanding what it is. For them culture, like patriotism, caste, race etc., is a handy tool to keep the embers of hatred in the minds of followers glowing. The embers will be stoked when the time comes to burn enemies and scorch the earth leaving unforgettable mental scars.

There is no politician in Tamilnadu who has not touched the "Tamil Panpaadu" which in English is Tamil culture. Thus Kannagi was an Ikon of Tamil Culture until a thunaivi was needed to the Leader in addition to his manaivi. Any way money was made writing dialogue for a Kannagi movie with a liberal sprinkling of dialogues on Tamil Panpaadu. That is enough. Let the Tamil Panpaadu go to docks or dogs.

The essence of the fact is that politicians are the people who speak most about culture. Which culture remains whatever it was or whatever it is. And in this forum we keep hearing very often about people talking again about culture. While the side which is worried about the slow disappearance of the TB community means several day to day practices in brahmin families which are unique and the value system of the brahmins etc by this term, we have another vociferous group which remains for ever regretful of being born brahmins. These regretful brahmins (RBs) also tend to acquire revolutionary tinges (arm chair variety) in course of time and become frequent Brahmin Bashers (BB). They take several subtle and overt initiatives to regularly bash the hapless community here. They will ask a simple question as to what is culture. And proceed to prove that no body has a clear definition for that and hence it does not exist at all. But they too have their limits.

Just ask them to proactively teach their children and grand children the value of being a "human" (whatever that may mean) by actively recommending them to marry the dalits of India in preference to all other communities. Ask them to teach their children and grand children to actively dissociate from brahmin friends and cultivate exclusively only the dalit, muslim and christian friends. Tell them to discourage their children and grand children from bringing home the brahmin friends and instead bring only the dalit, muslim and christian friends. Tell them to advise their grown up children and grand children to fall in love with only dalit, christian and muslim boys/girls. Tell them to marry only dalit/christian/muslim boys/girls.

These regretful BBs will run and disappear from the scene and you will become a persona non grata in their house and surroundings. Even if they have one child married to a IC partner, they will all actively advise their children not to go for another IC marriage in the family. They may, in the alternative, come to argue with you that love is freedom to choose. So they do not interfere. And they would expect you to believe this yarn.

Culture is an avial of several things and that is why no one bothers to define it precisely.

Now I have enough material for the RBs and BBs to think over. I would expect the champions of revolutionary Bbashing enthusiasts to invite their daughter's/grand daughter's lover for a dinner and not to forget sharing a bottle of champagne or a helping of Bloody Mary because it contains stronger vodka. And then ask the girl/boy also join in and make it a grand bash. Then please come and report it here. I will stand disproved. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back