• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to retain our left out community???

• Thread starter V.Balasubramani
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

In my observation, there are several threads opened and debates held on the topic of preventing our community getting shrunk day by day due to influence of various factors.

There are still Padasalas run in our community, practicing vedas, besides there are sections in every sect. who still stick to ‘Nithyahnikas’ and observe the established ‘Do’ and ‘Don’t’ prescribed in our Dharmasastras.

With time passing by, we have changed a lot, many have deviated from the laid down path and running after money to elk out living, enrich our life, etc etc

With the threat of increasing IC/IR marriages, conversions, etc how are we going to retain this community getting shrunk?

There are references like Amish in U.S and ISKON all over the world following certain principles laid down by their founders.

I would humbly to request the members who come here to contribute to thread to be bit serious in presenting their point of view and not try to derail this thread into that of a ‘Chit Chat’ one.

While lively debate, serious exchange of thoughts, opinion , etc are welcome no sort of demeaning the community by way of BB will be encouraged. Members with such intention are requested to keep away from the thread.

Now, one may ask what is the need for such a thread now.

Since one of thread is getting diluted, this one is to give opportunity for such members who wish to contribute their POV seriously.

Now the question is, is it necessary to retain this community…………………?

If so how are we going to do that……………………………?

One thing is sure we need to change……. How are we going to achieve this….

I would request seniors and the young members to come forward with their valuable views freely.

Come on friends.....keep the fire burning...

Last edited by a moderator:

Now the question is, is it necessary to retain this community…………………?

If so how are we going to do that……………………………?

One thing is sure we need to change……. How are we going to achieve this….

I would request seniors and the young members to come forward with their valuable views freely.

Come on friends.....

Dear Sir,

Yes..continuation of species is coded by nature.

Every living entity in this world strives to maintain its genes in some way or the other.

Why? We do not really know yet.

In the animal kingdom its sort of auto pilot mode..they mate solely for continuation of species and its not based on any personal desire.

Humans on the other hand have desires and whims and fancies and not to mention the thinking faculty that at times can be one's best friend and also one's own worst enemy.

So whatever anyone attempts for their own community firstly has to start with deep introspection.

The first question should be "Why Do I want my Community to continue?"

Hindu philosophy teaches us that nothing is permanent..everything is subject to change..even a body or identity is just a temporary phenomenon..we are taught to be beyond the physical..but if we still want our DNA to continue despite knowing these facts..we truly have to ask ourselves why?

I am not saying its wrong to want continuation of species as long we have valid reasons and admit that most of it are for our personal reasons in form of attachment and satisfaction of leaving behind a legacy.

At the same time when such thoughts become an obsession one starts to lose track of our main purpose in life according to Hindu Philosophy..that is to be beyond the physical.

We have already discussed so much in the thread started by Ganesh and NOT able to find any solution till now!

Wonder what this new thread will achieve!!
dejection.png

We have already discussed so much in the thread started by Ganesh and NOT able to find any solution till now!

dejection.png

What the earlier opened threads on the very same topic have achieved....???? Any idea...???

Leave alone the thread opened under caption "How to arrest the slide in TB .................... by V.Ganesh Ji. He himself had started earlier a thread on the same topic.

Similarly, there are umpteen number of threads touching this topic can be seen if one visits archives.

What all these threads achieved......??? Why we fail to come to any solution...??

Since that thread was requested by the thread opener for closure, to enable members repeat interested members , to continue the discussion, contribution, share their thoughts, opinions, lively debate etc this one was started.

I will appreciate if you try to read between the lines madam.:)

And if you have anything against this thread, you are free to address the Moderator for its closure too.

dejection.png

Those who are serious in maintaining their TB Culture and identity know also the means to preserve the same and are already doing it within India and abroad . It is only the confused TBs who are having the problem and there is no easy solution for the same .

Those who are serious in maintaining their TB Culture and identity know also the means to preserve the same and are already doing it within India and abroad . It is only the confused TBs who are having the problem and there is no easy solution for the same .
Very true, Krishna! :)

That is why I wondered what this new thread is going to achieve!

Dear Balu Sir,

I don't have any idea of reporting to the moderator. Let members give their views here. :typing:

But it might be only the repetition of what they have written already!

Mam,

Seriously if you have got anything to contribute please do.

But don't try to meddle with the topic by offering your expert comments.

I have been visiting archives and had come across number of threads on the same line started earlier.

Shall I give you the list.

And you know all these things. And Members are contributing again and again because it is new members everytime.

This thread was started when one Member withdrew his interest in contributing his opinion in an earlier thread which was hijacked by 'good hearts' !!

Now you come here to offer your naysaying comment.

Well taken.

Thank you Madam.

Sri Balasubramani,

I applaud your effort to ensure all the voices are heard - especially those that may be able to better characterize the concern and suggest realizable solutions.

Let the other thread get closed and I will share some more of my thoughts here for whatever it is worth. I am sure there will be others pitching in too.

The key point I want to emphasize is that culture is an expression of how well the practitioners of a culture follow Dharmic principles that are timeless (appropriately terms Sanathana Dharma). When a society deviates from these principles the 'system' tends to do away with empty practices and its associated culture.

So the answer lies in attempting to get back to following Dharma through practice of our culture while fully understanding the connection.

The survival of the culture will be a natural by-product due to adhering of Dharmic principles.

Will expand with examples in a few days

Dear Balan,

I appreciate your efforts to restore the discussion retrieving it from confusion.

I have these suggestions:

1. Those who believe that the brahmin identity needs to be given up because it is an unwanted wall we build around us may go about their mission happily. They need not participate in the discussion and keep repeating their pet belief. We have heard enough of it. If, for a moment, they are ready to accept our pov and contribute costructively by offering suggestions to improve the community, they may participate vigorously and we may welcome their ideas.

2. Let us accept that brahmin culture,traditions and values are largely understood by TB members here even though each one may not be articulate enough to define and express/communicate it here. It doest not mean that there is nothing called brahmin culture,tradition or values. A small anecdote here:

I was living in Kottayam, Kerala then. In my business I had several friends from the Christian and Nair community. They are people who love their drink and enjoy it immensely. I am not talking here about hard drinking sessions in which the dirt in the mind is spilled all over. They are nice friends who know when to stop. During one such get together the friends were drinking. They offered me a drink as usual and I refused it as usual. This is just ritualistic because they knew I do not drink. And the words of Ouseppachchan, one of the friends rings in my ears even now. He told Ravi, another friend in malayalam " Leave Vaagmi alone. Dont press hard. Brahmins will go to the last frontier in any thing they take in hand. And that endeavour in liquour will be dangerous". The others understood and laughed. I believe Ouseppachchan succinctly summed up that day one characteristic of the animal called brahmin.

So those who want definitions can keep doing the dukrinjkarane. They can present their finding once they are finished. Till then they may spare us here. We understand in a gross way what we are talking about and that is enough for our task in hand.

3. We have done so much of grinding of the araichcha mavu that we have several lists of present status of the community and several summing ups of the situation. If people can start in this thread discussing steps that may be taken for organizing the community and serving it well that will be the ideal way to spend time here. We know the problem fairly well. How do we solve them?

I intend to participate as the discussion progresses. If it is going to be the repetition of whatever happened in the other thread I will keep quiet.

Last edited:
Hindu philosophy teaches us that nothing is permanent..everything is subject to change..even a body or identity is just a temporary phenomenon..we are taught to be beyond the physical..but if we still want our DNA to continue despite knowing these facts..we truly have to ask ourselves why?

If there are only two groups - Hindus with no castes and divisions and non-believers - the above philosophy has some merit. Contrary to this, we have believers in different forms whose philosophy is to impose their ideology on others to have more space. This forces Hindus, in general, to work hard to retain the identity and Bs, in particular, to sweat to retain their uniqueness within the Hindu fold and outside. Bs have to work overtime.

I am really happy to welcome each member individually right from Doctor Mam, RR Ji Mam, Krishna Ji, TKS Ji, Vaagmi Ji and now Chandru Ji to this thread.

TKS Ji was kind enough to spare some time over the topic and had offered valuable suggestions in the thread 'A Tamil Brahmin Dilemma', but that thread went astray.

Similarly Vaagmi Ji, presented lot of suggestions in the other thread which also went astray and has become a 'Chit Chat' session which is very unfortunate. The seriousness was lost and the thread was diluted/hijacked.

I take this opportunity to welcome all other members also, request them to contribute their thoughts, suggestion, opinion, POV, etc It is a pleasure indeed to see that there is lively debate on this topic.

I know pretty well that everyone is very busy in their own profession with various commitments, programs, etc

Despite busy schedule, if one is able to spend some time in this Forum is really great, that shows one's love towards the community and that too offering suggestion in a sensitive subject touching the topic is really exemplary.

I appreciate every one and request all to contribute their thoughts, suggestions, etc. and make the thread lively and informative.

Let us discuss in detail and strive to find out solutions in good spirit.

Dear Sri Balasubramaniamji

I appreciate your efforts to restart this topic . I had already shared my views in the other thread and I stay with that opinion . Anyway I feel Sri Vaagmiji is more equipped to present this issue in a more serious and indepth manner and we need to wait for his inputs . My approach is more individualistic i.e if an individual wants to preserve the TB Culture and lifestyle then he /she / that family must follow the same in their own life .This was what Sringeri Acharya Sri Chandarasekha Bharatahi Mahaswamigal advised one person when he wanted to bring reforms in society i.e encourage Brahmins to follow their own traditional lifestyle and wanted to start a movement for the same .If that dialogue is available online I will share the same here .

We Tamil brahmins would always like to not only give their opinions, but also gain one upmanship wherever feasible.In such a situation the thought of developing consensus relegate to the back ground. What I, thought earlier & now also is this,.when I am studying the serious/ intelligent Veterens exhibiting their wonderful opinions to seriously think of consodating the hap me into a workable scheme & enlist cooperation of the rest ( forbid I will str
Eelder fully these dozen members should try to consolidate into
EWORKABLe Formula

Dear Sri Balasubramaniamji

.This was what Sringeri Acharya Sri Chandarasekha Bharatahi Mahaswamigal advised one person when he wanted to bring reforms in society i.e encourage Brahmins to follow their own traditional lifestyle and wanted to start a movement for the same ..

I just stumbled upon this site to day. Is it this one you meant Sir?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dialogues with The GuruSri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamigal (1892-1954),34th Pontiff (1912-1954) of the Sri Sharada Peetam, Sringeri.(Compiled by Sri R. Krishnaswamy Iyer): Source: http://srisharada.com/QA/QA.htm

D: We shall try our best, but these happen to be very bad days for the Brahmanas.

HH: When did the bad days begin? You must bear that also in your mind. They began when the Brahmanas swerved from their achara and Dharma and entered the field of competition in the pursuit of worldly things. They forgot that they were most ungratefully misusing the heritage of ages. The others, who were left behind the Brahmanas in this race, first looked upon them with admiration and later on with envy and now with hatred. Let the Brahmanas withdraw from this race they will once again regain and command the respect which is their due. They commanded respect before, not because they were richer or stronger than others, but because of their contentment, which made them happier than the richest and because of their Dharma, which made them stronger than the strongest. The so-called bad days are therefore only of our own making. We can at any moment put an end to them, so far as every one of us is concerned, by reverting to the simple faith and the upright conduct, the religious fervour and the peaceful contentment of our fathers. I think that the bad days will turn out to be really useful and not after all bad, if they but make the Brahmanas realise the depth of their fall from their true ideal and induce them to make honest endeavour to recover it.

Source: Dialogues with The Guru compiled by R.Krishnaswami Iyer

Courtesy: http://www.vedanta.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ChandrashekBharati_Dialogues-with-The-Guru_RK-Iyer_ENA5.pdf

That is also one of the dialogues .I was talking about one of the other dialogues were one individual was talking about bringing reforms in society ( especially in Brahmins ) by forming an organization and the acharya neatly gave the points why such a venture would be a failure as the energy and resource would go more in to only peripheral activities and the core activity will be missed .In essence he said the need of the hour was for people to live the lifestyle in their own life and set a practical example for others to get inspired and follow through and I concur with the same . I think that dialogue will be available in the book "Dialogues with the Guru" whose link you have presented .

In this context I wish to add that there is one person in Chennai who has a been a strict TB himself ( he has studied Vedas properly and comes from a vedic family ) and continues to live that life and the last few years he has started a sort of movement that encourages people to follow the traditional Brahminical life and he is getting excellent response from the same and he is quite practical in his outlook and not idealistic and he tells people that while the modern life style is very hectic and not conducive for working TBs to follow the traditional lifestyle but at least it is better they get educated on the same right now so that when they retire they can follow it more sincerely and seriously and set an example for the next generation .He has also written lot of small booklets on the same and they sell like hot cakes and many people especially retired and to be retired people are participating in his programs and camps .

Last edited:
That is also one of the dialogues .I was talking about one of the other dialogues were one individual was talking about bringing reforms in society ( especially in Brahmins ) by forming a forming organization and the acharya neatly gave the points why such a venture would be a failure as the energy and resource would go more in to only peripheral activities and the core activity will be missed .In essence he said the need of the hour was for people to live the lifestyle in their own life and set a practical example for others to get inspired and follow through and I concur with the same . I think that dialogue will be available in the book "Dialogues with the Guru" whose link you have presented .

Oh that was really great. I love to read such texts.

Thanks for sharing your time Sir

hi

starting some topic..then again come the same circle....without any solution......ending with same way...

hi

starting some topic..then again come the same circle....without any solution......ending with same way...

Happy to see you here.

I welcome your valuable suggestions for a result-oriented solution.

Seek your continued contribution.

Hope the thread will end with a concrete resolution.:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dialogues with The GuruSri Chandrashekhara Bharati Mahaswamigal (1892-1954),34th Pontiff (1912-1954) of the Sri Sharada Peetam, Sringeri.(Compiled by Sri R. Krishnaswamy Iyer): Source: http://srisharada.com/QA/QA.htm

D: We shall try our best, but these happen to be very bad days for the Brahmanas.

HH: When did the bad days begin? You must bear that also in your mind. They began when the Brahmanas swerved from their achara and Dharma and entered the field of competition in the pursuit of worldly things. They forgot that they were most ungratefully misusing the heritage of ages. The others, who were left behind the Brahmanas in this race, first looked upon them with admiration and later on with envy and now with hatred. Let the Brahmanas withdraw from this race they will once again regain and command the respect which is their due. They commanded respect before, not because they were richer or stronger than others, but because of their contentment, which made them happier than the richest and because of their Dharma, which made them stronger than the strongest. The so-called bad days are therefore only of our own making. We can at any moment put an end to them, so far as every one of us is concerned, by reverting to the simple faith and the upright conduct, the religious fervour and the peaceful contentment of our fathers. I think that the bad days will turn out to be really useful and not after all bad, if they but make the Brahmanas realise the depth of their fall from their true ideal and induce them to make honest endeavour to recover it.

Source: Dialogues with The Guru compiled by R.Krishnaswami Iyer

Courtesy: http://www.vedanta.gr/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ChandrashekBharati_Dialogues-with-The-Guru_RK-Iyer_ENA5.pdf

Sri Balasubramani,

I could not have found a better reference to what I was merely attempting to communicate in post #10
Once the root cause is understood in details with specifics it cane be made actionable !

Thanks

Sri Balasubramani,

Once the root cause is understood in details with specifics it cane be made actionable !

Thanks

True.

Understadning the root cause, agreeting with facts and working out a feasible/actionable solution is the need of the hour.

Hope our sincere efforts will pay. :)

Happy to see you here.

I welcome your valuable suggestions for a result-oriented solution.

Seek your continued contribution.

Hope the thread will end with a concrete resolution.:)
hi

gettimg more young bloods to the fold.....acharyas can help/guide us....some contribution by every individual...like parsi

community....

We have enough acharyas in our fold. Added to this, one emerges daily with specific God and stories related to that God in mind. In our fold, it is the time for poly-acharyas and who is to be followed? The effective PRO of each acharya may win the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back