• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Case of that elusive Missing Pension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
By some rule of PF I became eligible for a minor pension . A handsome amount of Rs 622 pm Which I never used to bother about.

Then the new govt decided to increase it to Rs 910 for reasons best known to it.

There was a catch.

There was no payment for a month -april 2015.

I discovered it accidentally after a few months.

After three trips to my disbursing bank[ including one my car driver went for me] , and also talking to the branch manager who went online to check discovered it was

never transferred.

He suggested to take it up with another branch 15km away and informed that it is the central nodal branch who do the transfer of money.

After 3 more months , debating if it was worth chasing spending petrol for my car and my most valuable time, I thought I will give it a try.

The nodal branch chief manager -a typical punjabi sweet talked me giving me a cup of chai saying the dealing clerk was out inspecting ATM and would be back

after half an hour. He told me he had committed some sins in last janmaa that he has ended up as branch manager of nationalised bank. I consoled him.

He also confessed he does not know how the person managing pension account operates online as he is new there.

After forty five minutes, the dealing clerk turned up. He first offered me lemon chai and then said , after verifying it had not been paid, he has to contact PF

disbursing agency.

He kindly contacted the person concerned on mobile and she coolly informed after check that It was not disbursed in the first place.It was in the pending account

to be paid.

As further course of action , I was told to give an application asking for the money.

There was a promise that after 10 days , it might even be paid.

So ended my chase yesterday for the elusive pension.

This is how EPF and banks work.

I really wonder what others who need pensions manage when there is no payment .

I had a day of entertainment becoming wiser about the way banks and pension authorities function.

I shook hands with him warmly collecting the card of the clerk for future contact.

Others might also have such great experiences. like to share?

Last edited:
By some rule of PF I became eligible for a minor pension . A handsome amount of Rs 622 pm Which I never used to bother about.

Then the new govt decided to increase it to Rs 910 for reasons best known to it.

There was a catch.

The number of EPF pensioners are heavy in Tirunelvelveli and Chidambaranar(Tuticorin) districts
90% of them are ladies and beedi workers. If a person role beedies and enrolled in EPF office by paying weekly subscription of 80 / 100 rupees through their Beedi Companies, then they are eligible for pension after 10 years. Their pension would be some paltry / insignificant sum of 500 to 1000 rupees.

These people, mostly uneducated and even could not say that they are getting EPF pension; they will term it as beedi pension.
Not only Beedi idustrries, almost all registered village and cottage industries, SME sector industries are all covered under EPF organization and workers are eligible for EPF pension. I understand, the highest EPF pension is around 5000 only.

There was a catch.

After three trips to my disbursing bank[ including one my car driver went for me] , and also talking to the branch manager who went online to check discovered it was

never transferred.

He suggested to take it up with another branch 15km away and informed that it is the central nodal branch who do the transfer of money.

After 3 more months , debating if it was worth chasing spending petrol for my car and my most valuable time, I thought I will give it a try.

The nodal branch chief manager -a typical punjabi sweet talked me giving me a cup of chai saying the dealing clerk was out inspecting ATM and would be back

after half an hour. He told me he had committed some sins in last janmaa that he has ended up as branch manager of nationalised bank. I consoled him.

He also confessed he does not know how the person managing pension account operates online as he is new there.

After forty five minutes, the dealing clerk turned up. He first offered me lemon chai and then said , after verifying it had not been paid, he has to contact PF

disbursing agency.

He kindly contacted the person concerned on mobile and she coolly informed after check that It was not disbursed in the first place.It was in the pending account

to be paid.

As further course of action , I was told to give an application asking for the money.

I had a day of entertainment becoming wiser about the way banks and pension authorities function.

I shook hands with him warmly collecting the card of the clerk for future contact.

Krishji,

So you had a taste of your own medicine.

An indifferent Govt. Babu got treated casually by another indifferent Govt. Babu. Natural justice instantly done. LOL.

And I do not know whether you are aware of this:

In Govt. offices everything needs the lubricant of mamool to move. Otherwise things get stuck. So in the PF section of a Govt. office I am told there will be all bonhomie upto a point. If PF loans are handled by a clerk the other clerk who is looking after say PF subscriptions will have to add the mamool along with his PF loan application. That is bribe being paid by a colleague working sitting in the next seat in the office.

B
After three trips to my disbursing bank[ including one my car driver went for me] , and also talking to the branch manager who went online to check discovered it was never transferred.
The nodal branch chief manager -a typical punjabi sweet talked me giving me a cup of chai saying the dealing clerk was out inspecting ATM and would be back after half an hour. He told me he had committed some sins in last janmaa that he has ended up as branch manager of nationalised bank. I consoled him.
After forty five minutes, the dealing clerk turned up. He first offered me lemon chai and then said , after verifying it had not been paid, he has to contact PF disbursing agency.

He kindly contacted the person concerned on mobile and she coolly informed after check that It was not disbursed in the first place.It was in the pending account to be paid.
/QUOTE]

EPF Pension scrolls data prepared by the o/o the EPF Regional Commissioner of the area, containing the data .........PPO (Pension Pay Order) No, Name, Bank a/c No. Amount of Pension etc will be sent in a CD to the Nodal Branch of the bank along with a Cheque for the total amount. Nodal branch will credit the pensioners a/c through core banking. It is very simple and within 10 minutes, even more than 1 lakh accounts would be credited using a simple add on software in the Core Banking System.
In case if there is any corruption in the data sent by the EPF office, that too in Bank account number, the system would not credit the account and put the amount in a specified system suspense account. All disbursed pensions will be in this account and settled when claims come.
Sometimes EPF office withhold the pension for not furnishing the the mandatory life certificate or any other reasons best known to them. Then the pensioner has to contact the EPF office.
All could be setted in a fortnight by sitting in home and sending a registered letter to the EPF Commissioner, endorsing copies thereof to the nodal and pension paying branches.

I wonder,how Mr. Krish who used to furnish seemingly enlightened guidelines to all other members in the forum, have missed these simple details about his own pension?
Banks could render better service only with the cooperation of the customer!!

Last edited:

My pension disbursing Branch of the Bank, is in Calcutta; Pension paying branch is Anna Salai, Chennai.
Annually, I could submit my life certificate in any one of the Bank Branches in India, in on-line and it would be authorised / validated in system by the Manager of that branch.
I furnish in on-line, the details of my eligible investment to the Calcutta branch well in advance for them to calculate IT and deduct.
I get FORM-16, by speed post during April every year.
I get my pension credited to my account promptly on 26th of every month ; in case 26th is a holiday, then one day earlier.
I maintain diary of events to be followed up in my system and meticulously follow up all precisely in time with self discipline.
If we have self discipline, we need not end up with blaming others;
Even if some mistake happened by default or by the omission / commission of others, we could get the rectification done within a reasonable time.

Yesmohanji

Thanks for your enlightening post on how the system works.

I never bothered about it as in present economy, anything less than thousand rupees is small change.

I am not a very disciplined person by the way and do not not meticulously track money.

I would rather spend my time multiplying money fast through happy investment and a bit of healthy intelligent speculation which huge returns.

All taxes., I have a tax consultant whose headache it is to file returns and chase to recover all dues.

I keep away from offices of govt agencies like RTO.municipal taxes, property dues, water, elec utilities.

Either operate online or engage someone to do it.

It is not worth wasting energy on such things .

Our talents are meant for making/earning more money thru intellect.

We should not waste it on unproductive ,time consuming mission of approaching the govt for anything on personal front.

Since I had a free day and time to kill , I thought let me try to find out.

I weigh money against time and effort involved to get it. If it is disproportionate, I write it off normally.

Krishji,

So you had a taste of your own medicine.

An indifferent Govt. Babu got treated casually by another indifferent Govt. Babu. Natural justice instantly done. LOL.

And I do not know whether you are aware of this:

In Govt. offices everything needs the lubricant of mamool to move. Otherwise things get stuck. So in the PF section of a Govt. office I am told there will be all bonhomie upto a point. If PF loans are handled by a clerk the other clerk who is looking after say PF subscriptions will have to add the mamool along with his PF loan application. That is bribe being paid by a colleague working sitting in the next seat in the office.
I never lubricate the system with speed money.

I sweet talk people to get what I want.[A punjabi trait]

I mostly get my way

I would rather not corrupt the system.

One can live pretty well without mamool.

Why not try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back