• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unknown ancient temples of tamilnadu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

Though the milk is running allover the cow's body, we can get it only from its udder. Likewise, though god is omnipresent, ubiquitous, only in temples we can get his grace fully because of the positive vibrations present there. Also, the ancient temples built in a vast area with pakka vasthu and powerful yanthras provide us whatever we wish. Since, many devotees have already visited those temples, the Sannithya (presence with power) of god will also be enhanced. In this forum, just share some temples like this with all the details.

Pranams

Has any one Heard of,"Rathinapureeswara Temple" near Kulithalai.This Temple is on the Top Of a Hill .This is a small temple built by,"Kulothunga Cholan" during 12 th Century I think so.The Hill is called Rathina Malai.
Every one has to climb about 1200 steps to reach this Temple.Special importance about the temple is ,"Oru Manithan thanathu Vaalnaalil Ethanai Shiva Templesikku poogiranoo athanai Punniyam Oru murai intha Shiva Lingathai Tharisithal Poodum"
A very Fine Temple to see.Has any one seen Rathina Pureeswara ?
Please visit this temple.

Sri.Poovananathar Temple, Thiruppuvanam
1.png

The four Saivite saints have sung the glory of Poovana Nathar, deity of Tiruppuvanam temple, near Madurai.

MASSIVE: The pillars of the mahamantapam bear exquisite carvings.
Those who have seen ``Parthipan Kanavu," Tamil film based on Kalki's historical of the same title, are likely to remember ``Vadiveru Thirisoolam thondrum, thondrum," saint Appar's song movingly rendered by M. L. Vasanthakumari. The song was dedicated to Lord Siva enshrined in the temple at Thiruppuvanam, 20 km east of Madurai on the road to Manamadurai, on the southern bank of the Vaigai. The saint hails the deity as ``Poovanathem Punithanaar" or the sacred Lord of Poovanam. The saint goes on to say that the beholder will first see the Trident, the Crescent on the matted locks of the Lord, the garland of Konrai flowers with their divine smell around His neck, His waist wrapped in elephant skin and finally the whole image of the Lord smeared with the holy ash. The place is considered as holy as Varanasi as the Vaigai takes a turn towards the north here and then flows towards east. Sung by the four saints, Appar, Sundarar, Thirugnanasambandar and Manickavasagar and also by Karuvur Thevar in his ``Thiruvisaippaa," the place once had thousands of Sivalingam and hence all the planets and stars would circumambulate them while going over this place, according to Paranjothi Munivar, author of ``Thiruvilaiyadal Puranam." Sambandar sings (Thevaram) that the three Tamil kings — Chera, Chozha and Pandya — worshipped the Lord here. Manickavasagar, in his ``Potri Thiruvagaval" refers to the Lord here as ``Poruppamar Poovanathaan." Karuvur Thevar describes this place full of high-rise buildings and houses whose tops were grazed by the moon. All these are, however, images from the past as the present Thiruppuvanam is a sleepy town, with small lanes and bylanes, except the main road through which buses and other vehicles to and from Madurai and Rameswaram ply. Ardent devotee The place is connected with an episode narrated in the ``Thiruvilaiyadal Puranam." Ponnanaiyall, an ardent devotee of Lord Siva, who lived here, used to take bath in the river early in the morning, offer garlands and dance before the Lord daily. She also spent all her earnings and wealth in feeding the devotees of the Lord. To test her, the Lord created in her mind the desire to carve out His idol in gold. Appearing before her as an ascetic (Siddhar) he claimed that He could turn any metal given to Him into gold. Promptly the girl handed over all the vessels in the house. The siddhar smeared holy ash on them and went away telling her that she would find them golden the next morning. So it happened and the girl turned over the collection to a goldsmith to make an idol. And what she saw was so enchanting that she pinched the deity's cheek leaving a permanent mark there. Her statue is found at the entrance of the temple along with those of the Siddhar, Chokkappa Nayak, the king who built many portions of the temple, his queen and his minister. The idol of Somaskandar, which bears the pinch mark on His cheek even now, is known as Ponnanaiyan and Azhagiyapiran. When Gnanasambandar visited this place he was held up on the northern bank of the river. The Lord asked Nandi to stand a little aside to give him darshan. One therefore finds Nandi seated a little aside and not right in front of the sanctum sanctorum. Sundarar calls the Lord as Ponnanaiyan, though He is known as Poovana Nathar in Tamil and Pushpavaneswarar in Sanskrit. Five-tier tower The temple is rather big with a five-tier tower at the main entrance with a small tower at the entrance of the Amman shrine, which is always kept closed. The Amman shrine is on the southern side and the Goddess is known as Minnanaiyall in Tamil and Soundara Nayaki in Sanskrit. On the walls of the Prakaram are inscribed poems from Thirumandiram, Thiruppugazh and Thirukkural. The Sthala Vriksham is the jackfruit tree. The temple, under the control of the Sivagangai Devasthanam, is very well maintained. The main festival is celebrated in the month of Panguni for ten days, with the deities of the Lord and His Consort being taken in procession in separate cars on the Panguni Uthiram day.

Peruncheri shri vaagheswaraswami temple

STHALAM: Peruncheri
Moorthy: Shri Vagheeswarar
Ambal: Shri Swantharanayagi
Worshipped by: Devaguru (brihaspathi), chola king Datta, sages of peruncheri
Theertham: brhispathi theertham
(famously known as thursday theertham. Swami will provide theertham (Theerthavari) on Marghazhi thursdays)

Route: The temple is situated near Mayiladuthurai. It is in the route of Mayiladuthurai--Thiruvarur. We have to get down at "Mangainallur". From there we can take an auto to reach peruncheri.

Fame of the village:
Perum+cheri= A vast group. There were 40,000 sages who lived in this village. They performed severe penance and they thought penance itslef will provide everything and there is no superior god. To enrich their knowledge, siva in form of Bhikshadana and vishnu in form of mohini came here and blessed them

Sthala Purana:
The dispute for “tharadevi” (wife of devaguru) between chandra and brihaspathi made brihaspathi much worried and his mind was much upset. He went on Kshetradana and finally coming here, he got peace. He worshipped ambal in his manas and from his manas, ambal directly came out (Swa+anthara+nayagi). So called be her name. Finally siva blessed him (vagh+eswara= Vagh (here it means brihaspathi)) and his sorrow totally flied off. later, Chandra, thara and saraswathi all worshipped here.
A demonic king from ceylon (Yavanan) once fighted with chola king Dhatta, The chola king was unable to withstand and he worshipped swantharanayagi. She sent kali and kali killed yavana. The king dhatta was thus saved.
The teeths of surya has been broken by veerabadra swami during daksha yagna. Surya did penance here and got back his teeth. Many such gods who got beatings from veerabadhra during daksha yagna got their problem solved in this sthala.
Pariharasthala:
This is a parihara sthala for “Guru dhosha”. Also, since swami provided mental relief for brihaspathi himself, this is also a sthala to get rid off our worries.
Vishesha:
Both swami and ambal are considered to be swayambu. Ambal is very varaprasadhi (fufilling our desire asap).
Surrounding Temple:
A Mariamman temple is inside this village. She is very attractive and full of Shantha and karunya. Her temple is under renovation now.

Respected TSS,
I heard that three temples should be visited Kalai kadambar, madiyam chockar, iravu ingoimalainathar near kulithalai. I visited engoimalai (as a shakti peeta and also a padal petra kshetra). But not visited rathnagirishwara. Can you provide the route for this temple?

Respected TSS

one main thing about thirupoovanam is this is the only Pandya nattu sthalam that received songs from Appar, Sambandar and Sundarar (moovar padia sthalam). Even madurai did not get that fame. Also, very famous mariamman temple is nearby only. I forget her name. The temple is just backside to poovananathar temple. We have to cross vaigai and reach there. Since there is no water nowadays, we can simply walk and cross.

sankar, durga,

i wish to express my appreciation of you guys, here and elsewhere, ferretting out hidden gems among our temples, in the various nooks and corners of south india.

good stuff.

reminded me, of the old serial in ananda vikatan, about 40 years ago by bharanidharan.

Yes sir,

Am sure there won't be water surely during summer. Even if it was with water, there is a bridge and you can cross that. I remember the name now. It is Madapuram Makaliamman temple. The river has much undercurrent and no flow on its surface. Hence the name "Vai Kai". Even in hot summer, if you create a burrow with ur hands, you will get water from the sands.

I just want to come back. Poovananathar is now on my 'next time' list. I could just rent a car and driver and go out from any city with the instructions to 'just drive around' and then say 'Stop here." Go on, and then say "Stop here." again. That would be my idea of a fun day. Especially the ones you see driving by that are atop the ancient granite outcrops.

Which temple is the oldest of them all? (I'm sure this is debated.)

Aum Namasivaya

Which temple is the oldest of them all? (I'm sure this is debated.)

Great Saint Thirunavukkarasar (Appar) in one of the songs wonders whether the `Thiagaraja Temple' at Thiruvarur was constructed before this world was created, just along with the creation of this world or may be the first temple after the creation of this world.

Thiagaraja temple of Thiruvarur is the only temple having songs in elevan out of twelve `Saiva Panniru Thirumurai'. Thirumandhiram is the only Thirumurai which doesn't have a song on any particular Siva temple and hence no place on earth appears in that.

Please plan your visit during April/May so that you can see the `Biggest Temple Car' festival.

You can also see `Kamalalayam', the biggest temple tank and also visit by boat another temple at the center of the tank.

You can also visit the birth places of Carnatic Music Trinity - Thiragayya, Muthuswamy Dikshidar and Syama Sasty.

All the best

Nandri, another one for my list. I looked at the pictures on here. Wow. Especially the cart, and the tank. This list gets longer all the time. lol

Of the ones I went to, Palani felt the oldest.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear Eastern Mind,
Also all our Respectable Forum Members,
Kindly engage my taxi whenever every one needs Taxi in Madurai.
Trust,Reliablity,Politeness,Courtesy,Service,Your Saticfaction are our Aim.
I may be called at 98421-11592 or 99521-63523.This is my mobile no.0452-4500592 is my office/Residance no.
I cool Heartedly welcome every one to The Temple City of Madurai.

Dear Eastern Mind,
Also all our Respectable Forum Members,
Kindly engage my taxi whenever every one needs Taxi in Madurai.
Trust,Reliablity,Politeness,Courtesy,Service,Your Saticfaction are our Aim.
I may be called at 98421-11592 or 99521-63523.This is my mobile no.0452-4500592 is my office/Residance no.
I cool Heartedly welcome every one to The Temple City of Madurai.

Eastern Mind ji,

I think you can engage the services of Sankaranarayan ji so that you get the best. You don't have to engage the services of a guide also.

If you come to Chennai, please send a message, I shall try to help you.

All the best

Krishnapuram Temple/Tirunelveli.

Tirunelveli Krishnapuram Temple

Krishnapuram-Temple-in-Thirunelveli.jpg
65_big.jpg

Krishnapuram is a small village in Tirunelveli District at a distance of about six miles from Tirunelveli town. There are a good number of images and idols of sculptural interest in the temple, attracting hundreds of visitors. Lord Venkatachalapathy has been installed here with Sri Devi and Bhoo Devi. Pujas and abhishekam are being conducted to the Lord daily and some important festivals are celebrated every year.
67_big.jpg

There is a mandapam known as Veerappa Naick Mandapam on the northern side of the temple. ‘There are two beautifully carved elephants adorning the entrance of this mandapam. The six pillars at the center the mandapam bear images of exquisite beauty depicting scenes from the Puranas.

Any visitor will be impressed by the dexterity with which each image in the mandapam has been carved out. They are so life-like and their features and expressions so natural and real that a person will be under the impression that he is actually in front of living beings. Such beautiful idols can hardly be seen elsewhere. The stone for carving out the idols have been selected with such care that they produce melodious musical sounds when struck at different places.

There are many good images of ingenious and rare workmanship in the mandapam, which

Ways of living, and willingly supplied milk for the fulfillment of the yaga. The fancy of the sculptor who carved this image has found full scope. Bhima, all brawn and not much brain, is held helplessly in Purushamrigam’s grasp. Yudhishthira, a serene personality with one finger held up symbolically, is represented as a man who knows what. Must be done and is determined to do it.

There is another pillar containing the representation of princess and a prince being abducted by a kuravan and a kuratti (gypsies), while an irate king or minister gives an angry chase and rescues them. The princess sits serene on the shoulders of the gypsy as if expecting rescue at any moment. The charger on one side of the pillar is depicted as if it would leap into life any moment under the whip of its rider. A lance has pierced the kuravan on his left flank and the blood flowing from the wound is represented in a red shade of stone.
66_big.jpg

The whole body of the man is twisted in an agony of pain. It is a marvel where the, sculptor got a model for his work. The other side of the pillar shows the princess’s mother consulting a female palmist. The curves of the feminine body, its dress and ornaments have been depicted in luscious glory and with pointed attention to detail. The same affectionate care has been bestowed upon the statue of Rati (Goddess of Love), the eternal beauty, full of an entirely human vanity, admiring herself and bearing a look of mixed self-satisfaction and serene contentment.

There is also another pillar with Arjuna with a flowing beard performing penance with bow and arrow in his hands. Though a monk, the representation impresses it with an appearance of a great and powerful knight.

On the other side of the pillar, a sage is shown to be molesting a lady who, out of anger, is pulling down his beard. A lady is carrying away a handsome prince and an old lady with a sword in her hand is attacking a man who has been caught between her legs. Karna (of Mahabharata) is shown in another pillar. A monkey is sitting on the shoulders of a beggar who is playing with it. On the other side there is a beautiful girl with a parrot in her hand.

A girl is dancing with a bouquet in her right palm and a fruit in her left palm. A knight is lying at her feet with a sword in his hand and a gypsy is sitting by her side with snakes around him. On the other side of this pillar, two lovers are found to be making gestures of love to each other.

Crowning another pillar is a remarkable carving combining an elephant and a bull. On the left is seen the tusker with its trunk raised, while on the right is the bull. The eyes are common, the lip of the elephant corresponds with the ear of the bull and the lifted trunk forms the hump of the bull. The two figures are thus interlocked in a clever composition of a tricky picture.
Festivals of the temple

• Vaikasi Visagam (May-June) Enormous devotees numbering about two lakhs will participate in the festival. The procession of Sri Jayanthinathar

Last edited:
The thiruvarur temple is famous for other thing. It is one among the three temples, which have two temples (padal petra kshetrangal) inside. One is thriuvarur thyagraja temple, within this temple is runahareswara temple (another padal petra temple). Similarly, the other one is thirumeeyachur (one is perungoil and other one is ilangoil). I will explain that separately.

The yogic posture of kamalamba sitting cannot be seen anywhere in this whole world.

If you keenly observe kamalamba, the thiruvasi (am unable to explain that properly in english. Very sorry for that) will have 51 aksharas explaining 51 main shakti peetas. This thiruvarur itself is "Kamalai peetam" and kamalamba has 51 shakti peetas within her.

Dear eastern mind,

Dont get into the serious issue of the age of temples. It is of a very least importance. Just think of the divinity you get there. The main reason I said this is many temples for the sake they will say that it was built by indra, brahma like that. Our logical mind will not accept that. Instead just get rid of that. SOmehow am damn sure, all the temples that myself and Shri TSS saying are all sure belongings of century old.

Heai Devotees,

I forget to say one main thing about thiruvarur temple. Just plan a whole day for that. It is very very vast that you dont even imagine. Anyhow some important shrines are akasa linga, runa mochana linga, ottu thyagesar, neelothbalambal shrine (of course she is the consort of shiva here), Kamalamba is doing penance and she is not married yet. The neelothbalamba should be seen by every one atleast one. She will be having just 2 hands. One of her freinds will have shanmuga in a bag and she will smooch the head of the child. Nowhere you can see such nice sculpturous work blended with divinity. In evenings, a music deeparathana will be shown to thyagaraja.

The dance of thyagaraja here is called "AJABA" without any jaba. He was in the heart of mahavishnu and he thinks of thyagaraja. So the dance of thyagaraja will be like a heart movement.

THIRUMEEYACHUR
First and Main temple
Swami: Mihiraaruneswarar
Ambal: Shri maha lalitha thripurasundari

Second and small temple
Swami: Sagala puvana nathar
Ambal: Minnum megalaiyal (VIDHYUDH MEGALAMBAL)

Story: this is the place where vasinis recited Lalitha sahasranama first.
Once, aruna wants to go kailash and have a darshan of shiva. But his boss surya doesn't allowed him. hence, aruna took a form of young girl went to kailash. Meanwhile, searching aruna, surya found a girl (aruna) and without her permission he united with her. (Aswini devas born like that). Some folks told that when he took a form of beautiful young horse surya take a form of male horse and copulated. Beacuse of this, surya got some disease and shiva in this temple cured him. Aruna also prayed this shiva and shiva blessed him and said that arunodaya will be powerful than suryodaya for good deeds.
Yama also prayed here for santhana and he got saniswara as his child.

Like this the temple has so many importances.

ROUTE: Mayiladuthurai--Thiruvarur
Get down at peralam (its a big town. But dont expect any staying and all). It is better to cover everything from making Mayiladuthurai as HQ. From peralam, minibuses are going or you can take an auto also.

NEARBY: FAmous thirupamburam pambupuranatha koil (RAHU-KETU STAHALAM) is 2 km from here
Koothanur, sirukudi, karuvili are some of the other temples nearby.

EVen there is a big temple is in Peralam itself. But is is not a padal petra kshetram. Might be it missed out or we dont get the song. beacuse, by age that temple is also very very old.
Swami: Peralanathar
Ambal: Bhavani ammai
A sage by name of peralar has worshipped this shiva
A very big temple near by bus stand itself (in main road)

Respected TSS,

Why dont you offer some pilgrimage tours in & around madurai. Because, many devotees does not know many temples even around madurai. I dont wonder even madurai people themselves say that I dont know. Some are: Thiruvapudaiar temple, inmail nanamai tharuvar (where even chockanatha worshipped), Kanjanamala temple, yanamalai narasimhar temple, Thriuvedagam, Thiruparankudram Veiluganda amman koil, Hillock temple at thiruparankundram (kasi viswanatha temple- people go to thiruarankundram and just they will come back. It is a padal petra kshetram and a ambal and swami are there - Most of the devotees doesnt know that. Similarly the hillock temple of kasi vishwanatha should also be of good divinity and best sancitity as visitors are not much aware of that). Please tell all the devotees who came to visit madurai about these places also.

One important thing is there is a small vinayagar temple in Alagappan nagar (sundarar street), not much old. There is a durga (kanaka durga) shrine there. She only made
me like this sir and make me to even change my name to durgadasan and all. Am mad about durga nowadays everything because at the right age and right time with right person I saw her. Her beauty cannot be explained by words. Noone knows there is a yantra in her foot. While performing abhishekas (for some days I did poojas and all there), I saw that. There is a stone in the mouth of the lion in which she is seated, you can roll the stone and you cannot take the stone out. If possible see her once, she will feel you better always.

Pranams

Last edited:
Swanthara devi padhigam

With her blessing, I have written a "padhigam" on swanthara devi. The first para of the padhigam is herewith attached (It has 5 paras):

பவழ மணி முடி புரள இடைஅதுவும் கொடியனைய இளம்பிடியின் நடையழகு ஒடுங்கவே
பவவினைகள் தனைஅறுத்து கவனமுடன் எனை அணைத்து அவமதனை நீக்கும் அருளே
ஸிவமுனிவன் தினம்அணைத்து நவகலைகள் தனையுரைத்து உவமையதாய் உனை உரைக்கவே
குவலயத்தில் மனம் மகிழ்ந்து தவமதனை நிறுத்தி பல புவனமகிழ் குஞ்சரம்உதிக்கவே
தாருகையில் முனிவர் பலர் தருக்கழித்து உருகொடுக்க தமயனுக்குதவி செய்தோய்
ஓரிரவில் யவனன் உயிர் காரியன் எடுத்தகல காரியம் முடித்த அழகே
வாழ்த்துடன் வளம் ஓங்கு பெருஞ்சேரி தனில் தங்கு வாடாத தெய்வ மலரே
வாகீச நாதர் மகிழ் யோகீச நாயகி சுவாந்தர தேவி உமையே

STHALAM: Peruncheri
Moorthy: Shri Vagheeswarar
Ambal: Shri Swantharanayagi
Worshipped by: Devaguru (brihaspathi), chola king Datta, sages of peruncheri
Theertham: brhispathi theertham
(famously known as thursday theertham. Swami will provide theertham (Theerthavari) on Marghazhi thursdays)

Route: The temple is situated near Mayiladuthurai. It is in the route of Mayiladuthurai--Thiruvarur. We have to get down at "Mangainallur". From there we can take an auto to reach peruncheri.

Fame of the village:
Perum+cheri= A vast group. There were 40,000 sages who lived in this village. They performed severe penance and they thought penance itslef will provide everything and there is no superior god. To enrich their knowledge, siva in form of Bhikshadana and vishnu in form of mohini came here and blessed them

Sthala Purana:
The dispute for “tharadevi” (wife of devaguru) between chandra and brihaspathi made brihaspathi much worried and his mind was much upset. He went on Kshetradana and finally coming here, he got peace. He worshipped ambal in his manas and from his manas, ambal directly came out (Swa+anthara+nayagi). So called be her name. Finally siva blessed him (vagh+eswara= Vagh (here it means brihaspathi)) and his sorrow totally flied off. later, Chandra, thara and saraswathi all worshipped here.
A demonic king from ceylon (Yavanan) once fighted with chola king Dhatta, The chola king was unable to withstand and he worshipped swantharanayagi. She sent kali and kali killed yavana. The king dhatta was thus saved.
The teeths of surya has been broken by veerabadra swami during daksha yagna. Surya did penance here and got back his teeth. Many such gods who got beatings from veerabadhra during daksha yagna got their problem solved in this sthala.
Pariharasthala:
This is a parihara sthala for “Guru dhosha”. Also, since swami provided mental relief for brihaspathi himself, this is also a sthala to get rid off our worries.
Vishesha:
Both swami and ambal are considered to be swayambu. Ambal is very varaprasadhi (fufilling our desire asap).
Surrounding Temple:
A Mariamman temple is inside this village. She is very attractive and full of Shantha and karunya. Her temple is under renovation now.

Respected Ramani ji,

Am a very very small guy. Don't put sri and all. Am just 29. Thanks for your comments sir.

Pranams for this satsang.

Sthalam: Thirupamburam
Swami: Pambupuranathar (naganathar)
Ambal: Bramarambal
Theertha: Naga theertha

Route: Mayavaram--Thiruvarur route. (Get down at Peralam). It is near to Thirumeeyachur. A minibus is going directly to pamburam by 10.30 a.m.

Legend: Once Lord Vinayaga worshipped his father shiva in Kailash. the snake in his neck due to its superiority complex thought that ganapathi is worshipping the snake and not shiva. Shiva on knowing this curse the snake. It came to the earth and did penance and in a single night (4 jamas) it worshipped shiva in four places. Thirupamburam is the place where nagaraja worshipped in 3rd jamam. Due to unavailability of flowers that time, he tied agathi poo (sesbania grandiflora) flowers in alavizhudhu (banyan tree stems) and finished pooja. So, in this village, Agathi won't flower and alamvizhudhu won't touch the earth. (It is very usual that alamvizhudu will touch earth and the stem itself will turn to roots).

Even still, noone in this village has been reported to death due to snake-bite.

When jasmine smell comes inside the temple, it indicates the presence of snake there. In particular tuesdays, fridays, and sundays.

A very nice temple. A big pond. So many snake idols (the predominant one is a naga (both rahu-ketu linked)). The lingam is a small and beautiful one to see.

The temple remain open till 12:00 noon so you can comfortably club thirumeyachur and thirupamburam at a single stretch.

Respected Ramani ji,

Am a very very small guy. Don't put sri and all. Am just 29. Thanks for your comments sir.

Pranams for this satsang.

I am very very happy that you are highly matured & knowledgeable at the age of 29.

You are composing a song on Goddess Swanthra Devi when people of your age will be discussing something about Cinema or other useless things.

I pray Goddess Swanthra Devi to shower Her choicest blessings on you.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back