• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Advice required - How do I get back the spiritual connection and vigor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianassault

Hi All,

Dont laugh at me for this question. As a bachelor , I never cared for material possessions. I was simply travelling from place to place. Just had a backpack with clothes , Bhagavad Gita. Visited temples of that place and travelled to Chennai when chances came. I had a feeling that I had a stronger connection to God and spirituality. It didnt matter where I slept - floor, mattress , train, bus etc. Most of the nights were in KSRTC buses only :)

Now being 30+ , But now I am seeking material posessions - house, luxury used car, etc ,not for myself, but for family.

Recently I got a chance to read Maha Periyava s teachings and books. He is an epitome of simplicity in Modern India and may be even in the whole world.

Is it something wrong? How do I get back the spiritual connection and vigor?

Thanks.

Wish to share something, here! Ram went with a small trunk and holdall, when he started to work in Calcutta.

After ten years, came with a bigger trunk to Vizag. After our wedding and six years at Vizag, we shifted our things

in a lorry to Sing. Chennai! Now, if I wish to shift, I may need two lorries!! :lol:

BTW, are you still a bachelor?

As a family man, you have some basic responsibilities to follow. You must work for the well being of your family and also protect yourself when you become old.

We can read the sayings of Sanyasis but following their advice completely may lead us into trouble; since most of them have no idea about families, as they don't have practical experiences.

Work hard, earn well, save for family and future and have faith in God.

Dear indianassault,

You can have the best of both the worlds. You do not have to neglect your family when being spiritual. True spirituality is more about harboring good thoughts and doing good deeds than about performing rituals or going to places of worship. The first step is you have to have a resolve about being spiritual and put in sincere efforts to do the above. It is difficult in the current times but if you have enough inner strength to start with you can do it.

dear sir,
let me say something as my opinion with ur kind permission in advance.
the mail problem now is the conflict in you.

a division came in ur life as materialism and spirituality.
this division(or any division)will make a conflict in mind.

with a affected mind with conflict ion u cant see what is in life.
that is necessary for u now.

earning money,car,or good food,dress all these are not a sin.
but with which intention u r taking all thse-that is the important thing u have to give attention.

in hinduism money is loved and respected by the significator of great devatha lakshmi.
she is the consort of lord of sustenance-vishnu.

so ther is no ned of coming back to spirituality.even now u r in spirituality.
but listen please dont sleep on bus station,dont wander for god or for masters onthe street.

at first see the god in ur heart.
make ur heart more strong and powerful.at the same time more loving also.

start from ur heart.do helps to family or others.
b,cos when u help ur family or others that means u r in right tract of spirituality.

without materialism there is no spiituality.
without spirituality there is no any materialism.

go forward with all ur courage and smile.

mother goddess is with u.

thanking u for reading this.

with reverence and all my prayers
dr.raghavan from kerala.
10-14-2015

Hi All,

Dont laugh at me for this question. As a bachelor , I never cared for material possessions. I was simply travelling from place to place. Just had a backpack with clothes , Bhagavad Gita. Visited temples of that place and travelled to Chennai when chances came. I had a feeling that I had a stronger connection to God and spirituality. It didnt matter where I slept - floor, mattress , train, bus etc. Most of the nights were in KSRTC buses only :)

Now being 30+ , But now I am seeking material posessions - house, luxury used car, etc ,not for myself, but for family.

Recently I got a chance to read Maha Periyava s teachings and books. He is an epitome of simplicity in Modern India and may be even in the whole world.

Thanks.

"Not caring for material possessions" is not any kind of spiritual connection, according to me and getting married, and seeking material possessions is not the opposite, either.

Having chosen marriage, you have no escape now, especially as the laws today stand!

Hi All,

Thanks.

My two cents..

http://nuerons.blogspot.in/2011/10/not-in-substance-one-can-find-not-in.html

-TBT

dear sir,
let me say something as my opinion with ur kind permission in advance.
the mail problem now is the conflict in you.

a division came in ur life as materialism and spirituality.
this division(or any division)will make a conflict in mind.

with a affected mind with conflict ion u cant see what is in life.
that is necessary for u now.

earning money,car,or good food,dress all these are not a sin.
but with which intention u r taking all thse-that is the important thing u have to give attention.

in hinduism money is loved and respected by the significator of great devatha lakshmi.
she is the consort of lord of sustenance-vishnu.

so ther is no ned of coming back to spirituality.even now u r in spirituality.
but listen please dont sleep on bus station,dont wander for god or for masters onthe street.

at first see the god in ur heart.
make ur heart more strong and powerful.at the same time more loving also.

start from ur heart.do helps to family or others.
b,cos when u help ur family or others that means u r in right tract of spirituality.

without materialism there is no spiituality.
without spirituality there is no any materialism.

go forward with all ur courage and smile.

mother goddess is with u.

thanking u for reading this.

with reverence and all my prayers
dr.raghavan from kerala.
10-14-2015

Really practical and sane advice!
clap2.gif

Hi All,

Thanks.

Dear Sir,

We mostly mistake that spiritual means having no possession of any kind.

That in my opinion is not entirely true.

In life we need have some basic needs to fulfill our duties to self,family and society.

One incurs no "sin" in carrying out this duties.

One should not neglect self and those who are dependent on us.

But one should know what one actually needs in life.

I do not really consider myself a spiritual person but let me share how I lead my rather simple life:

1)I never buy anything new equipment unless the present one is faulty.I do not simply upgrade stuff to keep up with the Kardashians!

2)I do not change my furniture set till its broken and beyond repair..I do not change cars just for the sake of getting a new model.I use my car till it works for me.

3)If I buy an equipment even though I can afford to buy what I want I still go in for a fairly priced good item without the need to spend too much money.When it comes to buying clothes I do not buy expensive stuff but I buy good stuff that looks like a milllon dollars but does not cost much at all. I do not buy branded stuff just for name sake.

4)I feel money becomes an enemy only if we start to use it as a status symbol. We should learn/know to feel that money does not really define us..our true self should be the same with or without money.

5)But I do admit that I have a tendency to buy books..I have lots and lots of books..my library has at least a good 800 books at least 99% of these books are religious books....i have been buying these since I was younger and I know I would buy more..this I do not consider a waste cos knowledge is never a waste and it can be passed down to others and the next generation.

6)Personally I do not go searching for spirituality(whatever that means)..I feel just living within fair and average means without depriving self or over spending would be enough.

Hi All,

Thanks.

Sri Indianassault

The word spiritual means different thing to different people. It is probably most used and abused word.

It seems you have some uneasiness currently that prompted your question. My suggestion is to examine your motivations as to what you want by being more 'spiritual'.

Clarity of objectives and motivation is usually a great start for self growth.

All the best

Sine the original post mentioned about Sri Kanchi Maha PeriyavA, I will like to share this video where the very same point (with a slight variation) is discussed.
( from Sankara TV) From the video I understoodthat the duty of a householder should come first.
https://youtu.be/gImbVF2Vr4Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back