• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Devi mahatmya

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am from Bramhin family.I used to recite Devi Mahatmya and it was really a pleasant experience.
But one day i searched for meaning of its slokas. I found one one forum that devi mahatmya is kind of psychological texts in which mahishasur means our mind,madhu kaitabh are our ego,dualities etc. And devi is the tremendous Force.
After reading furthur meaning i am feeling sad. Is it all psycological? Do devi exists only in our mind? dont she exists Physically? plz help me undersanding this concept. I feel helpless as my mind is kind of negative thinking in nature.

Another thing I recite Devi kavacham. Sometimes I experience Fear/anxiety after recitation. I dont make any pronouciation mistake. But still sometimes I fear as Devi has ugra roopas and my mind has doubts regarding devi. So any remedies?

I am from Bramhin family.I used to recite Devi Mahatmya and it was really a pleasant experience.
But one day i searched for meaning of its slokas. I found one one forum that devi mahatmya is kind of psychological texts in which mahishasur means our mind,madhu kaitabh are our ego,dualities etc. And devi is the tremendous Force.
After reading furthur meaning i am feeling sad. Is it all psycological? Do devi exists only in our mind? dont she exists Physically? plz help me undersanding this concept. I feel helpless as my mind is kind of negative thinking in nature.

Another thing I recite Devi kavacham. Sometimes I experience Fear/anxiety after recitation. I dont make any pronouciation mistake. But still sometimes I fear as Devi has ugra roopas and my mind has doubts regarding devi. So any remedies?

The very concept of Devi or the supreme-most godhead in the female form, is of tAntrik origin. Almost all the tantras are based on the core premise that sexual enjoyment/intercourse (with the opposite sex, of course) is the sure way to experiencing AtmAnanda and self-realization which, when continued, will lead one to salvation or mOkSham. The concept of Devi as Lalita, Lalita Tripurasundari, ambAL, lakshmi, saraswathi, etc., are all based on such a core principle and that is why you will find detailed descriptions of the devi's body, her attractiveness, well-formed and firm breasts, etc., even in the usual slokas recited.

Somewhere along the line, somebody must have got an idea to picturize this usually very attractive devi in a fierce form. May be that fellow's mind thought that in order to fight and kill ruthless demons like mahishAsura, madhu-kaiTabha, etc., the devi needs to be fiercer looking than her enemies, and not a very beautiful woman. (Still, the Navaratri idols in Bengal usually depict devi's face and features essentially in an attractive female form.) Thus started the worship of kALi. The dEvi mAhAtmyam is a text primarily for the SAktas but we have tended to accept anything and everything into our ordinary hindu worship.

If you really think about it how can there be one male god and one female god, at the same time? And if the gods also marry, beget children, etc., then are they not just like us, ordinary human beings and nothing more?
All these ideas of various gods, goddesses etc., are the mental creations of some people of old and they were successful in psychologically brain washing a whole society with all their misconceived ideas. That's all.

About 60 or more years ago, the rule was that women should not read Devi mahatmyam; even (brahmin) men did not read this and they recited the ordinary slokas after reciting the usual durgA sUktam, Sree sUktam, etc., only. But now everything is allowed in the name of democracy and freedom, gender equality and so on.

If you feel off-mood after reading devi mahatmyam, devi kavacham etc., discontinue that. No harm will befall you. You can, instead, worship the milder forms like Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Lalitha, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back