• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Shiva Nitya Pooja - Kalasha Pooja/Kumbhasthapanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskaram,

I am currently trying to learn shiva nitya pooja and I am using the ebook that I have attached to this thread.

I am a little confused as the to procedure of Kalasha Pooja

Quite recently I have completed 125,000 jaapa of Shiva panchakshara mantra and subsequently performed homam of 12,500 panchakshara jaapa over 11 days (at temple with shivacharia)

The procedure Shivaachariya used for doing kalasha pooja was different to the procedure in this ebook. E.g. Shivacharia had 2 kalasha (one small and one big)

Would I be right to assume that in the ebook where its states - fill panchapaatram with water, daub chandan/kumkum on all four sides of the vessel <-- is this a typographical error in the book and instead of panchapaatram it should say small kalasham?

If someone could please give a detailed account of how kalasha pooja should be done, with step by step instructions in English and mantras in sanskrit I would be very very grateful!

Shivaarpanamastu,

Shivraj

Attachments

• pradoshapoojaebook151209.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 679
  • kalasha pooja.PNG
    kalasha pooja.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 4,509
  • Kumbhavahanam 1.PNG
    Kumbhavahanam 1.PNG
    79 KB · Views: 665
  • Kumbhavahanam 2.PNG
    Kumbhavahanam 2.PNG
    79.9 KB · Views: 617
  • Kumbhavahanam 3.PNG
    Kumbhavahanam 3.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 627
Namaskaram,

I am currently trying to learn shiva nitya pooja and I am using the ebook that I have attached to this thread.

I am a little confused as the to procedure of Kalasha Pooja

Quite recently I have completed 125,000 jaapa of Shiva panchakshara mantra and subsequently performed homam of 12,500 panchakshara jaapa over 11 days (at temple with shivacharia)

The procedure Shivaachariya used for doing kalasha pooja was different to the procedure in this ebook. E.g. Shivacharia had 2 kalasha (one small and one big)

Would I be right to assume that in the ebook where its states - fill panchapaatram with water, daub chandan/kumkum on all four sides of the vessel <-- is this a typographical error in the book and instead of panchapaatram it should say small kalasham?

If someone could please give a detailed account of how kalasha pooja should be done, with step by step instructions in English and mantras in sanskrit I would be very very grateful!

Shivaarpanamastu,

Shivraj

"kalaSam" is considered as the repository of all the water required for the pooja by smArta brahmins. So, usually a pot full of water is taken and kalaSa pooja is done for that pot with water. For the actual pooja, water from this kalaSam is poured into the pancapAtram and used. If your SivACArya has used two kalaSams, that is also correct but, in my view, unnecessary.

Since the Ebook does not give clear instructions, can someone with experience please give instructions on how to perform kalasha pooja and kumbhasthapanam/avahanam with the mantras in this ebook?

Since the Ebook does not give clear instructions, can someone with experience please give instructions on how to perform kalasha pooja and kumbhasthapanam/avahanam with the mantras in this ebook?

The e-book instructions are very clear, I find. Please tell what is your difficulty. There is no kumbhasthApanam in the Sivapooja.

Dear Sangom, first of all thank you for taking time to help me.

1) is the panchapaatram used in the kalasha pooja different from the one that is used for initial achamaneyam and ganapathy pooja (arghyam etc) at the start of the whole pooja

2) in the ebook it gives specific mantras for adding koorcham, mango leaves, cocnut, gems/coins to the main kalasham - when the shivaachariya did kalasha pooja in my homams, the kalasham already had mango leaves and coconut in place - is this a different vidhi? So when in the ebook it states daivamsam (pg 14) should flowers be showered on a kalasham without the coconut on top of it?

3) should punyahavachanam be recited after kalasha pooja with koorcham touching the top of the kubham

4) I have attached some pictures, is this the correct mantra ucharan for punyahavachanam and swasthi vachanam (I know it does not contain pavamana suktam - when should pavamana suktam be recited as part of punyahavachanam?)

many thanks

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 649
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 809
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 506
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 451
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 419
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 396
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 764
Dear Sangom, first of all thank you for taking time to help me.

1) is the panchapaatram used in the kalasha pooja different from the one that is used for initial achamaneyam and ganapathy pooja (arghyam etc) at the start of the whole pooja

Yes, ordinarily the same 'panchapAtram & uddharaNi (spoon-like thing) are used for the whole Siva Pooja.

2) in the ebook it gives specific mantras for adding koorcham, mango leaves, cocnut, gems/coins to the main kalasham - when the shivaachariya did kalasha pooja in my homams, the kalasham already had mango leaves and coconut in place - is this a different vidhi? So when in the ebook it states daivamsam (pg 14) should flowers be showered on a kalasham without the coconut on top of it?

Homams are different from daily Shiva pooja. Do you do homam also daily? The Sivacharya (or any other vAdhyAr for that matter) will do a separate kalashapooja for other rites. But for your daily Siva pooja it is sufficient to clean the water pot (Kalasam) well and make it as sparkling as possible, both inside and out, and keep it preferably to your right hand side so that you can reach it easily. Smear Candanam & kumkumam if both are genuine and not purchased from market, on all four sides of the pot (ESWN directions) put one or two Tulasi leaves and any other flower you may have inside the water-filled pot, cover its top (opening) with your right palm as best as possible and start reciting the mantras "kalasasya mukhe vishnu..." etc. After doing kalasa pooja sprinkle some water taken from the kalasam pot on all the items to be used for the pooja and also on yourself, but not on the pooja or the idols themselves.

You can take water from the kalasam pot into the panchapAtram for actual pooja use, as and when necessary, even if the pot gets moved a little due to this.

3) should punyahavachanam be recited after kalasha pooja with koorcham touching the top of the kubham

4) I have attached some pictures, is this the correct mantra ucharan for punyahavachanam and swasthi vachanam (I know it does not contain pavamana suktam - when should pavamana suktam be recited as part of punyahavachanam?)

many thanks

Punyahavaacanam is only for special occasions like the tenth day after birth of a son, etc. In the normal daily Shiva pooja punyAham is not required to be done as long as you ensure that the theeTTu due to menstruation, low caste people cleaning the pooja vessels etc., and any other cause, is not present within your house. Otherwise punyAham is to be done daily and for doing it properly four brAhmanas are required, daily (yourself plus three more).

Dear Sangom Ji,

I really appreciate your efforts.

please can you give your opinion to the following; So when in the ebook it states daivamsam (pg 14) should flowers be showered on a kalasham without the coconut on top of it?

Also I was thinking of performing punyahavachanam during padosham pooja, so if I was to follow the mantras which are in the pictures attached in my last post plus reciting pavamana suktam 4 times, will that suffice?

I have not recieved diksha to conduct homams, and therefore I am weary to conduct them without proper instructions. If i was to find someone to teach me or a guidebook, I would most probably conduct homam once a month or even twice (on pradosham)

It is difficult to find a teacher where I am from (UK)

Also Sagom Ji, are flowers showered on the kalasham during recitation of Apo vA idagum sarvam... or apa: pranyati shraddha vA Apa:

Dear Sangom Ji,

I really appreciate your efforts.

please can you give your opinion to the following; So when in the ebook it states daivamsam (pg 14) should flowers be showered on a kalasham without the coconut on top of it?

Also I was thinking of performing punyahavachanam during padosham pooja, so if I was to follow the mantras which are in the pictures attached in my last post plus reciting pavamana suktam 4 times, will that suffice?

Dear Shri Shivraj,

I feel we are on different wavelengths. I am writing what most smArta brahmanas do during their daily Siva PancAyatana pooja whereas from your posts nos.7, 8 and 9, it looks as though you are following the Shaiva Agama type of worship. If my hunch is correct, it is better not to mix up or confuse the two systems because they are like apples and pomegranates.

You have not said in which part of UK you live, but in the Lewisham (London) temple, there are very expert Shivachariars who will guide you, of course, for a fee. It is better you meet them unless you are also a smArta brahmin attempting to become more religious and thus more favourite of God.

Dear Sangom Ji,

I am based in Birmingham, and I am kshatriya varna, trying to get closer to siva out of pure bhakti bhaava... I am young (25) so eager to learn as much as possible before responsibilities kick in!

Dear Shri Shivraj,

I feel we are on different wavelengths. I am writing what most smArta brahmanas do during their daily Siva PancAyatana pooja whereas from your posts nos.7, 8 and 9, it looks as though you are following the Shaiva Agama type of worship. If my hunch is correct, it is better not to mix up or confuse the two systems because they are like apples and pomegranates.

You have not said in which part of UK you live, but in the Lewisham (London) temple, there are very expert Shivachariars who will guide you, of course, for a fee. It is better you meet them unless you are also a smArta brahmin attempting to become more religious and thus more favourite of God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back