• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Siva Pooja OR Panchayathana Pooja

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is very old practice in Brahmin families to perform Panchayathana Pooja (Siva, Vishnu, Ganapathy, Ambal and Suryanaranaya - represented by Bana Lingam from Narmada River, Salagrama from Gandagi River (Nepal), Ganapathy from Sonabhadra Sila, Ambal as Swarnamukhi Sila from River Swarnamukhi, Surya Naranana a stone from River Vellam). Now a days sucha set is freely available in many shops which deals with Pooja Items.

Due to Education and need for a good employment may of our community members are moving to abroad for better prospects and all may not be in a position to carry their pooja set to their place. Some of them entrust it with temples, and similar ways. I would like to get one such pooja set and assure that once given to me, will be taken care properly. Will also take Salagrams Silas for daily worship.

It is very old practice in Brahmin families to perform Panchayathana Pooja (Siva, Vishnu, Ganapathy, Ambal and Suryanaranaya - represented by Bana Lingam from Narmada River, Salagrama from Gandagi River (Nepal), Ganapathy from Sonabhadra Sila, Ambal as Swarnamukhi Sila from River Swarnamukhi, Surya Naranana a stone from River Vellam). Now a days sucha set is freely available in many shops which deals with Pooja Items.

Due to Education and need for a good employment may of our community members are moving to abroad for better prospects and all may not be in a position to carry their pooja set to their place. Some of them entrust it with temples, and similar ways. I would like to get one such pooja set and assure that once given to me, will be taken care properly. Will also take Salagrams Silas for daily worship.

I have been advised by elders not to take the pooja of someone else and start doing pooja as your own; it is the belief that the pooja will carry all the "Doshas" of the previous person and that family. Even when the pooja of another family/household (neighbours, close relatives) due to some theeTTu or other inconvenience used to be entrutsed to us for a few days, it was not the custom to do a "samkalpam" but merely to do the pooja with the mantras. I was told not to club our own pooja with the other pooja while doing the samkalpam. It is not as though "God is in everything", "all poojas are alike, and god's idol/s cannot have any defects", etc.

A pooja in one family is an integral part of that family, its good and bad, punyas and pApas, that is the orthodox belief. So, if you want to start a pooja for your family, please take an astrologer with you and buy it from some reliable shop after verifying astrologically (by praSnam) that it will be beneficial for you. This will be my suggestion.

This is just for information of members. Please do not start a war of words with a smartha Vs Srivaishnava fervor.

1. Srivaishnavites do not perform panchayatana Pooja. Instead they do daily Aradhana of Salagrama silas.

2. Vaishnavites freely accept and give Salagrama silas for Aradhana. In fact when they acquire a few salagrama silas when they go to places like Muktinath in Nepal, they make it a point to give a few Salagrama silas to other Srivaishnavite brahmins back home for Aradhana daily.

3. Vaishnavites do not consider that karma load accrue to them along with the Salagrama silas if taken from another family.

Last edited:
I have been advised by elders not to take the pooja of someone else and start doing pooja as your own; it is the belief that the pooja will carry all the "Doshas" of the previous person and that family. Even when the pooja of another family/household (neighbours, close relatives) due to some theeTTu or other inconvenience used to be entrutsed to us for a few days, it was not the custom to do a "samkalpam" but merely to do the pooja with the mantras. I was told not to club our own pooja with the other pooja while doing the samkalpam. It is not as though "God is in everything", "all poojas are alike, and god's idol/s cannot have any defects", etc.

A pooja in one family is an integral part of that family, its good and bad, punyas and pApas, that is the orthodox belief. So, if you want to start a pooja for your family, please take an astrologer with you and buy it from some reliable shop after verifying astrologically (by praSnam) that it will be beneficial for you. This will be my suggestion.

Very True. What you have written is correct. A Pooja is an integral part of a family and when it is taken by other (it is implied that the person, who accepts, needs to perform appropriate "pariharam" etc as the case may. Needless to add, it will also bring very good along with "dosham" as you have written. If we hand it overr to a temple or mutt, there is no guarantee that is will be taken care, instead you can give it to an individual for appropriate worship. Am not going to technical details such as separate sankalpa etc. as on such issues, I used to seek the advise of Acharya of Sringeri, who always guides me in such situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back