• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Balancing work life and personal life - Is CEO of Yahoo setting a good example?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAP9AAAAJGRkNDgyMGE4LTNjMmMtNDMzMy05ODVkLTlhMWRlNmI5NjdhMA.jpg

Caroline Fairchild
New Economy Editor at LinkedIn

How Marissa Mayer's Maternity Decision Affects Young Women -- Whether She Likes It Or Not

]For the past 24 hours, one topic has all but taken over my emails, coffee meetings, Twitter direct messages and even my voicemails: Marissa Mayer.
The Yahoo CEO announced yesterday that she plans to take just 14 days of maternity leave in December after the birth of her identical twin girls. As the founding writer of The Broadsheet, Fortune’s daily newsletter on women in business, everyone was asking me for my take on the news. “Can you believe the example she is setting?” “What woman would ever work at Yahoo after this?” and (my personal favorite) “Is Marissa even human?” are just a few of the many questions that have been sent my way through various channels.

As a 25-year-old who still has the freedom of making decisions sans baby (nonetheless sans one toddler and two twins on the way), I by no means am an expert on this topic. I can't -- nor do I want to -- tell her how to parent. But I can tell you how Mayer’s decision affects me and, whether she likes it or not, affects the countless other young American women striving to attain what she has in their careers.

First, let’s start with some facts: There are just 25 female CEOs in the Fortune 500 and 27 in the Fortune 1000. While these numbers have mostly risen for the past decade and a half, the pace has been modest at best. Since the uptick of females in the C-Suite has been so slow, the likes of GM’s Mary Barra, Pepsi’s Indra Nooyi, HP’s Meg Whitman and others find themselves in the spotlight more often than they undoubtedly would like. This couldn’t be more true when it comes to the topic of being a working mother. When Nooyi declared that woman really can’t have it all, the Internet exploded. When Matt Lauer asked Barra on the Today Show if she could run GM and be a good mother, people were talking for weeks.

Simply put: There are very few women tackling the demanding task of running one of the world’s largest corporations while having a family, so everyone is watching them do it. Mayer, as the embattled CEO of Yahoo at the relatively young age of 40, is watched the most. That’s what makes her announcement yesterday standout. As my former colleague Dan Primack pointed out in a friendly Twitter battle we got into yesterday, as the CEO of a major corporation Mayer is expected to announce her maternity plans.

Fair enough. But Mayer’s failure to acknowledge that such a short maternity leave is uncommon for working women is where I think she went wrong.
In her statement on Tumblr, Mayer made the two-week leave seem normal. “Since my pregnancy has been healthy and uncomplicated and since this is a unique time in Yahoo’s transformation, I plan to approach the pregnancy and delivery as I did with my son three years ago, taking limited time away and working throughout,” she writes. This sends a signal to her colleagues as well as expecting moms everywhere that if you also have a “healthy and uncomplicated” pregnancy, two weeks away is just fine. It also sends a signal to young female professionals that if you want to take more than two weeks off when you have a kid, perhaps the C-Suite isn’t for you.

Yes, Yahoo has a very generous paternity policy, but culture is set at the top. Mayer -- like a boss who always misses his son's softball games and sends emails throughout the weekend -- is setting an inflexible culture.

This isn’t the first time that Mayer has refused to put any emphasis on her non-negotiable status as an influential female CEO. In 2013, AOL’s MAKERs asked her if she considered herself a feminist and she promptly responded no. “I certainly believe in equal rights and I believe that women are just as capable... but I don’t have the chip on the shoulder that comes with that,” she said. Perhaps Mayer believes that by not admitting that her maternity plans are abnormal she is ignoring that perceived “chip on the shoulder” that women in business carry. Yet what she is missing is that by ignoring it, she is in some ways furthering the problem: She is making what she attained look unrealistic and perhaps deterring young women from aspiring to be CEOs.

Do I think it’s fair that the decisions Mayer and other female CEOs make are scrutinized differently? Certainly not. But in 2015, this is the reality that we find ourselves in. It wasn’t until 1998 that young American women like myself hadany female CEOs in the Fortune 1000 to look up to. Now, we have 51. Mayer, whether she likes it or not, is one of them. I am not advocating that she take more time off to appease the masses and I am certainly not encouraging her to hide her plans. What I am hoping is that she begins to understand that aspiring young career women like me are watching and taking copious notes. If she doesn’t, I fear the slow rise of women we have joining her in the C-Suite will continue along at this dismally slow rate.

Last edited:
I think Too much is being made of working women taking maternity leave.

In poorer sections of indian society, farm hands[women], domestic helps take very little leave and return to work in two or three weeks

many middle class working types take from 3 to six months are so. some give up never to return.

richer types do not care about work life.

we are the least bothered about CEO women of american continent

When two incomes are needed to manage a household in many parts of the world such issues deserve thoughtful policies. Yahoo is not setting a good example.

There are thoughtless people who do not care about women's issues especially those of third world countries. All such people have to be marginalized by the next generation before true reforms are possible.

I think Too much is being made of working women taking maternity leave.

In poorer sections of indian society, farm hands[women], domestic helps take very little leave and return to work in two or three weeks

many middle class working types take from 3 to six months are so. some give up never to return.

richer types do not care about work life.

we are the least bothered about CEO women of american continent

Change the 'we are' to 'I am'.
You are not speaking for any class of people except for yourself.

Poor people suffering cannot be a justification for discounting society's issues. Such thinking is only by few thoughtless males who view women as just baby producing machines or just sex objects.

And I am least bothered by your thoughtless comments

Change the 'we are' to 'I am'.
You are not speaking for any class of people except for yourself.

Poor people suffering cannot be a justification for discounting society's issues. Such thinking is only by few thoughtless males who view women as just baby producing machines or just sex objects.

And I am least bothered by your thoughtless comments
[/Q]
the very fact you have responded shows you bother.lol

By we , I mean people of indian subcontinent.

We are born and brought up here.

When someone in a tamil brahmin site writes about leave preferences of an american female CEO, it might interest some locals there.

Our women in india have known for ages how to cope with maternity .They also know how to manage career and maternity.

In any case IMHO They are the least bothered about an american female CEO and how much leave she takes for childbirth.

It is being projected here as an earth shaking event.

It is disgusting to say the least

Even in Tabra houses I guess our women after delivery do not work for 1 month..They may do light household work till 3 months...But I guess the yahoo CEO is setting a bad precedent by cutting her leaves..How about breast feeding her kids??

With due respect to Oliver Goldsmith, an adaptation:
"Ill fares the family to hastening ills a prey,
Where career is prioritized and motherhood decays."

I have heard from my grandmother that the low caste (pulaya, ezhava, etc.,) farm workers of Travancore used to do their agricultural work till labour pains started. Then, they used to get out of the paddy filed and go to some treeshade nearby and deliver the child. Other women (and men) used to make a small enclosure, in a jiffy so to say, from thatched coconut leaves, so that some privacy was there. Usually, one of the older women among the farm hands herself used to officiate as the midwife. Within one or two hours of delivery, the woman used to leave the child under the care of some very old (and hence not capable of farm work) woman of her own caste and get back to work!

Will any modern woman be able to believe this?

In india , many career women delay taking leave until the last very advanced stage of pregnancy so that they can take more days after delivery.

After three months or so of delivery, they work from home -many MNCs allow that......

Very few give up their jobs for raising children.

Those who do ,regret later as they miss the extra money and freedom they have due to independant income.

These career women are smart enough to know whom to depend on for looking after their small kids. Their first preference is their own mothers.lol

Many conventional women end up looking after their grand children instead of enjoying their retirement.lol

By we , I mean people of indian subcontinent.

We are born and brought up here.

When someone in a tamil brahmin site writes about leave preferences of an american female CEO, it might interest some locals there.

Our women in india have known for ages how to cope with maternity .They also know how to manage career and maternity.

In any case IMHO They are the least bothered about an american female CEO and how much leave she takes for childbirth.

It is being projected here as an earth shaking event.

It is disgusting to say the least

The silliness is only matched by insensitivity Lol

First of all, this is a global forum. If you dont understand the world global just watch yourself when you consume that bottle of scotch - it was probably made in USA and has reached your mouth so you can consume it and then write here.

You are not a rep of Indians but one who has probably taken advantage of India - a Government employee all his life and amassed wealth in private business - one can only wonder. Lol

And your posts have been sympathetic in the past about corruption..

Your brahmin credentials are only matched by your boasting of how you relish fine meat items. Ask how many TB here boast about their non-veg taste buds.

Plus you have tried to act as if wine woman and wealth are the most important - all these from your own posts in the past. These ideas are from the west!

and you were denied visa to USA. Accept and get over it,

So your frustration is obvious anytime USA is mentioned, successful NRI is mentioned in a post .. Now you get worked up that beautiful women is running a billion dollar enterprise and not acting as a sex object for you to ogle.

Most here have not forgotten your exchanges with others in the past,

I think the best thing is for you to not read global news items in this forum. If you have urge to say something silly or insensitive just dont, you will gain more respect that way....

With due respect to Oliver Goldsmith, an adaptation:
"Ill fares the family to hastening ills a prey,
Where career is prioritized and motherhood decays."

You are right - and the children suffer who will make their children suffer

Even in Tabra houses I guess our women after delivery do not work for 1 month..They may do light household work till 3 months...But I guess the yahoo CEO is setting a bad precedent by cutting her leaves..How about breast feeding her kids??

A voice of reason indeed.

Many times big global corporations have been setting bad trends to hit the ordinary persons. IBM was the first one to eliminate idea of pensions and many followed IBM's foot steps.

Actions of such companies have worldwide consequences.

I think the life of Yahoo's CEO is not key, it is just that society worldwide is creating issues for children.

First of all, this is a global forum. If you dont understand the world global just watch yourself when you consume that bottle of scotch - it was probably made in USA and has reached your mouth so you can consume it and then write here.

You are not a rep of Indians but one who has probably taken advantage of India - a Government employee all his life and amassed wealth in private business - one can only wonder. Lol

Your brahmin credentials are only matched by your boasting of how you relish fine meat items. Ask how many TB here boast about their non-veg taste buds.

Plus you have tried to act as if wine woman and wealth are the most important - all these from your own posts in the past. These ideas are from the west!

So your frustration is obvious anytime USA is mentioned, successful NRI is mentioned in a post .. Now you get worked up that beautiful women is running a billion dollar enterprise and not acting as a sex object for you to ogle.

I think the best thing is for you to not read global news items in this forum. If you have urge to say something silly or insensitive just dont, you will gain more respect that way....

a TB Ji,

Nice observation on a sitting duck.

There are arm chair anarchists who come here to preach like a sadhu and write like a saint but are unable to hide their troubled mind and poor understanding.

No big deal...my of us who own our own practices come back to work after 2 weeks of delivery.

We docs have worked till our labour pains start and no one is just resting at home.

I remember one doctor went into labour during her ward rounds and went to the labour room and delivered without a complain.

When I was pregnant I was staying alone in a different state cos I could not get a transfer to my husband's place and I used to drive myself to see doc for my check ups....most other females would want husband present 24/7 and act so lazy and even make husbands remove their slippers for them when the nurse wants to take their weight during check ups.

These are the types that become obese after delivery..the lazy females.

I have a friend who only shut her clinic for 2 weeks after she had a C section and came back to work.

Only those who are employed talk the most about maternity leave.

The self employed come back to work as soon as possible becos the bussiness can not be let to decline and commitment too is important.

But most female docs have an extra room in their clinic where they bring their babies and have a helper to look after the baby..so baby is with mum when mum works and not neglected.

To be frank one only need 2 weeks to get back into action.

Has anyone seen tribal females? I have..they get back into action almost in a week and have no complications too.

Out here maternity leave is 60 days in private sector and 90 days in Government sector.

For me when I was in the government sector I resigned during my maternity leave and started to work part time in some private sector 2 weeks after my delivery cos being at home 24/7 can be boring...being with a baby 24/7 can also take a toll..so taking a break from baby on and off is also fine provided we have someone to help us.

BTW going back to work is not being career minded..its about taking a mental break from motherhood too..motherhood is very stressful..it can affect moods and cause post partum depression..so if a female gets the right balance of some work outside of home and tending to baby..she feels better cos she gets to see the outside world too and not be a mum 24/7...so the baby too benefits from a happy mother and not a depressed mother.

Last edited:
Is the child not liable to avail due and legitimate quality time of her/his mother?

Is the employer not liable to protect the health of his/her employee in terms of maternity more especially post maternity and children?

There are laws to govern availing maternity leave, benefits, etc and there are land mark judgments on this.

Sir first you reveal your name instead of calling yourself a TB.

Your credentials need to be verified.

your posts have resemblance to posts of another member of this forum.

Since your posts are getting too personal,I may be constrained to ask for investigation of your credentials

Last edited:
Sir first you reveal your name instead of calling yourself a TB.

Your credentials need to be verified.

your posts have resemblance to posts of another member of this forum.

Since your posts are getting too personal,I may be constrained to ask for investigation of your credentials

Not surprised others reacted to your posts also.
Rather than drape yourself in Indian flag and pass insensitive comments about NRI and women's issues you can be nice
Being in a glass house and throwing stones make one a 'sitting duck'!
Relax

I only comment on NRIs who are more interested in maternity leave taken by white CEO women claiming to be global without caring to know and feel about indian poor and

middle class career women

managing these issues .

You are out of touch with indian realities.

I only comment on NRIs who are more interested in maternity leave taken by white CEO women claiming to be global without caring to know and feel about indian poor and

middle class career women

managing these issues .

You are out of touch with indian realities.

Many woman's issues are common across the world as human issues- rich or poor. You are out of touch with the realities of women's issues.

You are entitled to your points so long you don't claim to speak for any group of Indians with the use of 'we'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back