• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

doubt on wearing dhoti's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only on the wedding day, the bride and groom wear the madisAr and panchakaccham, respectively, for the first time.

It becomes their traditional dress thereafter. But it is only an 'advice' to stick to this tradition during poojAs but many

wear the normal dhoti and saree only!

It is funny to see tiny tots wearing panchakaccham, which is a fashion now!

Kids-Panchakacham.jpg

Courtesy: Google images

As per kanchi acharya, katcham is for brahmacharis too (ref. deivathin kural). In north boys wear katcham. Thattadai is our version, not in north.

Only on the wedding day, the bride and groom wear the madisAr and panchakaccham, respectively, for the first time.

It becomes their traditional dress thereafter. But it is only an 'advice' to stick to this tradition during poojAs but many

wear the normal dhoti and saree only!

It is funny to see tiny tots wearing panchakaccham, which is a fashion now!

Kids-Panchakacham.jpg

Courtesy: Google images

Now a days , in cities, on the occasion of the marriage,a lady from beauty parlour is being hired and preparing the bride in madisAr is a part of the bridal make-up.

The bridegroom with the assistance of Vadhyar, wear
pancha kaccham.

If this is the case .................... daily wearing these dress ........?????

Last edited:
I have not found any clear reference to panchakaccham (PK) in the oldest veda, the rigveda. The bhAhmaNa texts which deal exhaustively with various yAgas etc., also prescribe only two pieces of cloth for the yajamAnan and his wife and do not explain further as to how the lower piece is to be worn; the upper cloth called upaveetham (upper cloth, literally) had to be worn compulsorily, during the yAgas to cover the upper torso. Possibly, this upper cloth shrank as time passed and came to three threads (probably representing the three vyAhritis bhUH, bhuvaH & suvaH) and became the "yajnOpaveeta" or the common Poonal, but there is no clear evidence for this.

Panchakaccham gives a lot more ease of movements for the wearer, compared to the dhoti, but as things stand today, the vEshTis are a bit transparent. This makes us mamas to wear an inner wear which shows our all too hideously! In the olden days tabra men wore only Koupeenam and so this ugly site was not there, but something else, lol!

Unless the tabra man wears PK and the married woman wears maDiSAr of 9 yards, all the poojas done will go waste and only sin will accumulate, is the orthodox belief. You are free to believe and comply with this or face the sin (of violating this rule) as and when it stares at your face!

hi Mr sangom
thank u for the reply...so there is nothing wrong when a brahmachari wearing pancha kacham...i agree to the comfort sir...
thank u for enlightening me...

PK is more transparent than the double dhoti, except for the center portions of the front and back! :dizzy:

Hence I advise all the new grooms and other mAmAs in my family circle, to wear a white trunk over the 'jatti'! :lol:

There is a saying about four Iyer sub sects of Tamil Nadu of which one if 'Vadama Kattu', which probably relates to PK.

hi Mr sangom
thank u for the reply...so there is nothing wrong when a brahmachari wearing pancha kacham...i agree to the comfort sir...
thank u for enlightening me...

The orthodoxy says brahmachari "need not" wear PK and so, if he does so (wears PK) - except on his marriage day - it is against the sAstra injunctions!

May be the rule of PK for men and madisar for women was a sartorial technique to adhere to madi and acharam to prevent married couples from having a 'quickie' during religious functions.

May be the rule of PK for men and madisar for women was a sartorial technique to adhere to madi and acharam to prevent married couples from having a 'quickie' during religious functions.

Wearing PK & Madisar was the norm on all days of the year for married men & women...For women who were menstruating madisar was not worn during the periods and normal saree was worn..Quickie duruing religious function was any way taboo

Wearing PK & Madisar was the norm on all days of the year for married men & women...For women who were menstruating madisar was not worn during the periods and normal saree was worn..Quickie duruing religious function was any way taboo

One small correction, please. Two or more generations ago tabra women used to wear madisar only even during menses time. I don't however know how they managed to do that.

Is the dress code for hindus documented anywhere in scripture?

Is it written anywhere that brahmachari must not wear panchakacham?

please let me know.

million thanks in advance.

The experts know how to remove the kachcham and put it back (!!) in place, within seconds. That is why women in the older

generations could manage to wear the madisAr on all days of the year; even when they suffered a bad diarrhea!!

BTW, my new invention of the two piece madisAr has a free inner portion which could be removed like a pyjama, without
disturbing the wrap-over piece! :peace:

If one buys 100x100 count dhoti, the transparency will be less. The numbers represent the number of the warp and weft threads used in weaving the dhoti.
Any thing less than 100x100 is found to be revealing the contents.
100x100 dhoties woven on powerlooms are available in Cooptex showrooms and Karralkada in Trivandrum. I get my annual supplies from Karalkada when I go to Trivandrum in Purattasi for the annual utsavam in the temple there.
Those who are interested can try these sources.
Karalkada showroom is in a locality called Kaithamukku in Trivandrum.

One more doubt?? There are different of dhoties available such as 9 by 5, 10 by 6, 9 yards etc. Which type is for ordinary use & which to give as gift during various functions to Sambhandhi, elder relatives.

One small correction, please. Two or more generations ago tabra women used to wear madisar only even during menses time. I don't however know how they managed to do that.
hi

we have to do some research on it...lol

One more doubt?? There are different of dhoties available such as 9 by 5, 10 by 6, 9 yards etc. Which type is for ordinary use & which to give as gift during various functions to Sambhandhi, elder relatives.
hi

i prefer 10x6 for dhotis...more convenient in PK.....9x5 are commonly prefered.....10x 6 good for tall and fat ppl....9 yards

for younger boys.....

may be the rule of pk for men and madisar for women was a sartorial technique to adhere to madi and acharam to prevent married couples from having a 'quickie' during religious functions.

lol!

Who will ever do that?
Won't the quickie render the couple unclean to participate in the religious function?

10 x 6 vEshTi is a must for men with good physique and those with pot belly also. So, many vaadhyars insist on 10 x 6 for themselves! Lean men will find "pattukku ARu" (10 x 6) somewhat inconvenient because of the extra length, but if such people are tall, they will have to sacrifice and accept the extra length for the sake of the proper height.

Madisar can be worn only with a 9yds pudavai, not 6 yds saree.

hi

i prefer 10x6 for dhotis...more convenient in PK.....9x5 are commonly prefered.....10x 6 good for tall and fat ppl....9 yards

for younger boys.....
9 yards dhoti for boys? Actually, naalu muzham (2 yards ) single dhoti is worn by boys.

Grown ups who are lean, need
8 muzham (4 yards) and chubby ones need 9 muzham, for a double dhoti. :)

P.S: One muzham = one cubit = half of one yard

One cubit = 45.72 cms; One yard = 91.44 cms.

I am reminded of what I heard in one of the discourses by Sri. Kripananda Variar.

He described a very fat man by this expression: ''ettu muzham vEshi oru sutrukku varAdhu! chiththAnaik kutti pOla iruppAn!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back