• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Why newly married couples are separated in the month of Adi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why newly married couples are separated in the month of Adi ?

If the bride conceives in the month of Adi ( July- August) ,she will deliver the child in the second half of May (Chithirai), the hottest period of the year.

In those days during Hot summer Season, contagious diseases like small pox, measles, etc. are more prevalent during this time, hence there was custom to separate them in orthodox South Indian Families.

This is a traditional practice of South India which was started thousands of years ago when there was effective way of controlling these diseases.

Any other Reason ?

I still remember I married in July and my late MIL phone me up after a few days and told me its Adi Masam etc and even told me to discard the marriage garlands at the sea or something.

I told her dont worry..I do not really follow all these Adi Masam etc there must have been some practical reasons for these back in India which might not apply for us now.. and garlands have become compost in the garden.. and there is something called contraception for pregnancy timing and spacing...but dont blame me if its an immaculate conception.Who knows? anything is possible in Kali Yuga.

She started laughing.

hi

generallly in adi masam....a lot of rain.....ppl cant go outside in villages....due to rain....more cold will be there.....so lot of

disturbances to womanfolk by men...so separation id advisable.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back