• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What are affluent Indians doing with their money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

The good folks at Visa have just released their most recent Visa Asia Pacific Affluent Study. And this is what we have learnt from it about affluent Indians:

1. They're young.

The average age of India's affluent, according to the survey, is 34 years.
Which isn't surprising considering India has more than half of its population under 25 and more than 65 per cent below the age of 35.
BTW, this average age is lower than most Asia Pacific markets.
Yay Youngistan!

2. And they want to make more money.

The Visa Survey defines India's affluent as being those whose annual income is Rs 15 lakh.
And 46 per cent of affluent Indians are focussed on increasing their personal income.

3. They save so they can spend.

95 per cent of them put aside money for discretionary spending. Which means a whole lot of affluent Indians are saving so they can spend on luxury items, vacations and other non-essential goods and services.
So if you're wondering why that little-known destination suddenly got a whole lot expensive you know who to blame :)

4. They are an optimistic bunch.

Not surprisingly, the survey also reveals that India's affluent are optimistic about the economy.
Some 74 per cent believe it will improve in the coming year.

5. They are also expecting to make more money.

78 per cent respondents said that they were expecting their household incomes to increase and 80 per cent of them expecting their personal incomes to increase in the coming year.This, of course, is the logical fallout of their belief that the economy will do well.

6. We have more millionaires

26 per cent more to be precise.
Visa survey estimates that there are 198,000 millionaires, 26 per cent more than last year.

7. They may be making more money but...

They are also spending a lot more time at work.
Eight out of 10 respondents confessed to have worked at least one weekend during the past month.

8. They like art!

Probably the most interesting revelation, the Visa survey says that two-thirds of buyers of art in India are between 25 to 35 years of age.
You read that right: 25 to 35.

9. They also believe in investing in their children's education

Eight in 10 affluent Indians are married and children's education occupies a place of importance in the priorities of affluent Indians in their mid-30s.
Four out of 10 affluent Indians also place a great deal of value on holistic development and enrol their children in individual sports- and music-related activities.

10. And here are the areas where they spend

The list of categories that saw the most spending by affluent Indians was led by fine dining (91 per cent), followed by designer clothes (83 per cent), family holidays (82 per cent), donation to charity (74 per cent) and jewellery (73 per cent).
So if you're starting a business, you know exactly what areas to target!
You're welcome dear entrepreneurs. You're welcome! :)

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/report/what-are-affluent-indians-doing-with-their-money/20150702.htm

Last edited:
Older indians can also emulate and learn from young indians as regarding making money and spending on good things in life.

they can get a feeling of better self worth in old age ,why not?

Older Indians have already paid enough prices for the money earned.

Older Indians have enough prudence and have now realized the value of life and the truth that they cannot take a single penny while they leave the earth with them.

Pattinatthar has said that காதற்ற ஊசியும் வாராதுகாண் கடைவழிக்கே...

We need money to live but let our mind also think of other important things to earn in life rather than money. Let us try to be a minimalist and thus lead a happy and peaceful life.

OM Santhi, Om Santhi, Om Santhi

We need money to live but let our mind also think of other important things to earn in life rather than money. Let us try to be a minimalist and thus lead a happy and peaceful life.

Happiness is up to the individual. I for one is not willing to give up my comfort. I have worked (and still working) to have a comfortable life. My child is taken care of and still may inherit a good chunk of money. But I would not like to be a burden on anyone, and manage my wealth according to my convenience.

Prasad Ji,

There is time for everything. Work while you work and play while you play.

There are periods to earn money and similarly there are period to take best rest in life especially for old age people.

I believe in this.

A couple of days back I met a friend of mine who is incidentally also an Author of many tamil books. During the course of discussion, I found him sounding bit withdrawing syndrome from all the interest in life's desires except that of literature.
When I asked him why the sudden change in his attitude, he just told me that in connection with a proposed tamil fiction which he has in his mind, he decided to stay for a couple of days at a grave yard from dawn to dusk and watch, observe the way people behave and react at the grave expressing their emotion.

There are invariably two groups, one the staff of the grave yard who welcome every funeral with all happiness because of the incoming earnings. The other group will be the aggrieved relatives of the deceased.

His stay through out the day watching the activities, behavior, reaction, emotions, etc of the staff as well as the aggrieved relatives of the deceased seems to have changed his attitude a lot. He seems to have learned few lessons from the grave on those two days.

Life teaches lot of lessons especially withdrawing interest on worldly materialistic desires more particularly at old age when the need of the hour will be best rest and peace.

Besides class room, there are certain places where one may learn lessons at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
every human being goes through the life cycle and dies one day.

that has nothing to do with the lifestyle one adopts in living.

wisdom lies in enjoying life to the fullest appreciating and experiencing what all it has to offer.

One should not get affected by a visit to a grave yard and become a drop out taking it to heart.

renunciation as a philosophy I reject.

as sahir ludhianvi -a leftist poet says

Hum janam bithake jayenge, Aap janam gavake jawoge.

every human being goes through the life cycle and dies one day.

that has nothing to do with the lifestyle one adopts in living.

wisdom lies in enjoying life to the fullest appreciating and experiencing what all it has to offer.

One should not get affected by a visit to a grave yard and become a drop out taking it to heart.

renunciation as a philosophy I reject.

as sahir ludhianvi -a leftist poet says

Hum janam bithake jayenge, Aap janam gavake jawoge.

One should know how to lead a peaceful life.

One cannot fall prey to the crazy idea of earning more money at older age, bcos old is meant to take sufficient rest.

One should plan to spend the money earned wisely in old age.

There are lot of retirement packages offered by different Banks and Financial Firms with unique features.

The member who know how to earn money at young age, should also know how to take rest at the fag end of life, more particularly to lead a peaceful life with the available resources.

One cannot be greedy and chase money all the time and become a victim.

How pathetic it is spoiling the precious life which is very short thinking of money all the time instead of thinking of God.

Such member should read books like the Monk who sold his Ferrari hundred times and follow the guidelines and thus lead a peaceful and relaxed life. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back