• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A tale of two cities

• Thread starter V.Balasubramani
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

A tale of two cities

[h=2]I hope Bengaluru, which is more benign compared to Chennai, stays that way.[/h]

OP1_2464220f.jpg

At 75, I am no more as young as I think. Till recently I could cross a busy road in a flash. I was always impatient to get off a train. I would give a cold look at people ahead of me on pavements who were slowing me down. Everyone had been cautioning me against my rash spirit of adventure, but that had no effect on me.

Recently, after a couple of incidents when my reflexes failed me and I fell flat on my face, it has dawned on me that I must act my age. So I have necessarily slowed down and now look like a not really fit old man. People think I am a helpless soul, and I believe that as a senior citizen I should be treated with dignity and care.

I travel regularly between Chennai and Bengaluru and I have had contrasting experiences in the two cities. The young seem to be more polite and kind to senior citizens in Bengaluru. The other day I tripped and fell on a poorly lit footpath. Immediately several people came to my help. Two young lads gently supported me, helped me back on my feet, addressed me respectfully as ‘Sir’ and made sure I had not fractured my legs or hip. They asked me to stretch my hands to ensure that there was no dislocation or injury. Another person on a bicycle stopped by to enquire where I had to go and ask if he could offer me a lift. He saw my bruises and offered to take me to a clinic. Somebody offered me a bottle of water while another passer-by found my spectacles tossed some five feet away when I fell. Not used to so much attention, I tried to look less embarrassed and requested to be put into an autorickshaw. In a minute a rickshaw driver was hailed and informed about the emergency. He flagged down his meter and took me to my destination without any hesitation or fare negotiations. He even advised me to get down gently after I had settled his dues!

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/ope...ties-chennai-and-bengaluru/article7392619.ece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back