• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sleep, Sleep and sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received this from another group. Looks like it is useful. So I am sharing it here:

Ranjan Das, CEO and MD of SAP-Indian subcontinent died after a massive cardiac arrest in Mumbai recently.One of the youngest CEOs, he was only 42.

What killed Ranjan Das?

He was very active in sports, was a fitness freak and a marathon runner.

After his workout, he collapsed with a massive heart attack and died. He is survived by his wife and two very young kids.

It was certainly a wake-up call for corporate India. However, it was even more disastrous for runners.

The question arises as to why an exceptionally active, athletic person succumbed to a heart attack at 42 years of age.

What is the real reason?

Everyone missed out a small line in the reports that Ranjan used to manage with 4-5 hours of sleep.

In an earlier interview of Ranjan on NDTV in the program ‘Boss' day out’, Ranjan Das himself admitted that he sleeps less and would love to get more sleep.

Short sleep duration (<5 or 5-6 hours) increases risk for high BP by 350% to 500% compared to those who slept longer than 6 hours per night.

Young people (25-49 years of age) are twice as likely to get high BP if they sleep less.

Individuals who sleep less than 5 hours a night have a 3-fold increased risk of heart attacks.

Just one night of sleep loss increases very toxic substances in body such as Interleukin-6 (IL-6), Tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and C-reactive protein (CRP). They also cause cancer, arthritis and heart disease.

Sleeping for <=5 hours per night leads to 39% increase in heart disease. Sleeping for <=6 hours per night leads to 8% increase in heart disease.

What is ideal sleep?

In brief, sleep is composed of two stages: REM (Rapid Eye Movement) and non-REM. The former helps in mental consolidation while the latter helps in physical repair and rebuilding.

No wonder when one wakes up with an alarm clock after 5-6 hours of sleep, he/she is mentally irritable throughout the day (lack of REM sleep).

And if somebody has slept for less than 5 hours, the body is in a complete physical mess (lack of non-REM sleep), the person is tired throughout the day and immunity is way down.

In conclusion:
Barring stress control, Ranjan Das did everything right: eating proper food, exercising, maintaining proper weight. But he missed getting proper and adequate sleep, minimum 7 hours. That killed him.

We are playing with fire if we are sleeping less than 7 hours even if we have low stress.

Do not set your alarm clock under 7 hours.

Ranjan Das is not alone.

Do Share it with all the Good People In ur Life...
1f60a
1f618

DR.N Siva
(Senior Cardiologist)

DEAR all, HUMAN LIFE/ health does not distinguish status, we all know.BASIC HEALTH FROM BIRTH VARIES WITH EVERY ONE. iT IS HE OR SHE AS THEY GROW-UP, SHOULD, RATHER must ANALYSE THE PHYSICAL CONDITION AS A ROUTINE, I mean that each person should fix time for some Aerobic Exercise for 20 Mts. I sincerely advocate Pranayamam for 10 Mts help a lot Plus Exercise covering all limbs. This must be done REGULARLY & there can be a day of Absence & not more.
I am of Firm conviction that Doctors who are BUSY obviously too busy may have to also try to do some exercise when possible Rest, executives cannot be excused , they can, if they are in command of their instituition can easily fix time for min. of exercise & if they do not care in the younger age, it cannot by brought back ? All of us are capable of analyzing Health aspects , since all know What is What ? It is the Question of making a start at Home before going out & you have WON > Evening walk does tremendous benefit from age of 60 It is all my experience, like me thousands practise. If thereis WILL, you nWIN
Sincerely
A.Srinivasan ( 044) 24806871

I somehow feel there is no ONE gold standard that sleep has to be 7 hours and not less or more.

We have to take into account the variation in genetic,environment,lifestyle of each person ..what we call Precision Medicine..that explains why and how some people with the same condition respond differently to medication.

Everything in this world comes with a range..there CAN'T be just a one answer/solution for multiple situations.

I personally believe that some people need more sleep and some people need less sleep.

For me these days I go to bed by 10.30pm and I am wide awake at 4.30am..I can not sleep beyond 6 hours even if I force myself to sleep I start to get the dreaded 'overslept' feeling.

I feel some humans function better with less sleep..some others with more sleep.

I personally feel its a very individualized requirement and we know best ourselves if we are sleep deprived or sleeping in excess. "Listen" to our own body and we can "feel" the answers.

Coming to cases of sudden death in apparent healthy active athletic individuals...sometimes it is caused by Ventricular Fibrillation...VF is usually seen in ischemic heart disease but a normal heart too can be afflicted by VF...where one just literally drops dead!

Anyway to know the exact cause of sudden death of anyone..an autopsy is always needed.

Last edited:
I have read this article before and better to read it again . Thanks to Sri Vaagmi for sharing the same .
The last month I have seen 2 incidents in my close family and friend circle where people have collapsed in Office ( one aged 40 and other aged 50 ) and both did not have any habits of smoking , drinking etc and while they were not fitness freaks ,they did do their best to keep themselves relatively healthy and fit . Luckily due to timely intervention of proper medical care both survived and were asked to take a break from their work .But in onc case it was diagnosed to lack of Vitamin B12 and this problem is there for many Vegetarians and so they need to take in proper supplements for the same .I will open a separate thread about the dangers of lack of Vitamim B12 in Vegetarians .

As regarding the the hours needed to be slept , I think there can be no uniform rule . But I feel people doing more mental work need more Quaity sleep to feel mentally refreshed .

Last edited:
Very rarely people die of lack of sleep.

This is a lot of gas.

The fellow who died might have had other complications.

In vyapam scam people are dying every day in MP.

That is more interesting and like ghost stories.

Stress could be another reason

Ravimohan who worked in Crisil & later in Reliance as Executive Director also passed away in 2009 on account of stress at the age of 52

[h=1]Stress toll: Finance pro R Ravimohan passes away[/h]
ET Bureau Dec 30, 2009

pixel.gif

MUMBAI: R Ravimohan, the man credited with building India's largest credit rating agency Crisil and who had been recently inducted into the board of Reliance Industries (RIL), passed away on Monday following a massive heart attack.

Mr Ravimohan's appointment as executive director in September 2009 had been seen as part of a move to induct senior professionals into leadership roles in India's largest private sector company.

pixel.gif

An RIL press release said that Mr Ravimohan died late Monday evening. He had left RIL's office at Nariman Point around 9 pm and was taking a walk along Marine Drive when he developed chest pain and died an hour later, said a person familiar with the matter.

http://articles.economictimes.india...r-ravimohan-ril-chairman-mukesh-ambani-crisil

In our society most of us chose to chase behind something viz wealth, fame, power, etc throwing the values of taking good care of our own heath which includes regular exercise, entertainment and importantly sufficient sleep which the body needs. Depriving sleep is dangerous.

Unforutnately we have some who will be always have an eye on productive use of time, with a burning desire to make more money all the time even at 70s and in the process push the values of sufficient rest, entertainment, hobby, regular exercise, etc to back seat.

With age growing, no doubt, we are moving towards grave every day, but for those who have no values for good habits mentioned above, they are moving bit faster. There are enough proof for this.

There is no golden rule how much sleep a person should have to avoid heart attack. Sleep/rest is correlated to the body condition of each and every individual. I know a healthy nonagenarian who, for the past 25 to 30years, used to sleep only 4 to 5 Hours in the night. But he used to have a siesta for an hour and half after lunch. One’s own intuition will understand the warning signals from one’s body system whether sleep rest is adequate or not. If one ignores the warning signals, the inevitable could not be postponed.

In our society most of us chose to chase behind something viz wealth, fame, power, etc throwing the values of taking good care of our own heath which includes regular exercise, entertainment and importantly sufficient sleep which the body needs. Depriving sleep is dangerous.

Unforutnately we have some who will be always have an eye on productive use of time, with a burning desire to make more money all the time even at 70s and in the process push the values of sufficient rest, entertainment, hobby, regular exercise, etc to back seat.

With age growing, no doubt, we are moving towards grave every day, but for those who have no values for good habits mentioned above, they are moving bit faster. There are enough proof for this.

Dear Mr Balasubramani:

Actually you make an excellent point. More than chasing money a major producer of stress to one's own self and to others is being not true to oneself.

By being duplicitous one does not stand anything in their life.

Chasing money and wine and dreaming about opposite sex even at advanced age is actually a symptom of the real problem which is a person bankrupt of any values in life. Their sleep is also affected because they are preoccupied with chasing these things.

We need to find out the sex life of these people who suddenly died..I have a feeling very less sexual activity leads to early death.

yes..its all about feeling relieved!

"feeling relieved" is subjective.

When it is elevated to the objective level it becomes vedanta. Read the Geeta Govindam thread. a whole lot of people are loosing sleep to understand what exactly is the content of Geeta Govindam. It makes interesting reading. When they become objective they will go and sing Geeta Govindam and........LOL.

I like the feeling relieved theory.

now we can find various ways of feeling relieved as a way to long life...

we have an able doctors sanction for this.lol

Vaagmiji
Yousuf ali kecheri and bombay ravi have some ghazal compositions -hindi malayalam mix

see ' sangeethame ninta divya soubagyathin ' sung by chitra and a male voice .delightful .youtube has some beauties posted

Sleep,Sleep and Sleep.

Moderation in life is very important for healthy living.

Brahmacharya pratishthayam virya labhah. (PYS:2.38)
Upon being established in brahmacharya, there is the attainment of vital energy.
Says Patanjali Yoga Sutras.

The word "Brahmacharya" literally means Movement towards Absolute or Truth. ("Brahma" the
absolute or truth and "chara" means the path or to move).
However in Yoga Sastra the word "Brahmacharya" means moderation or control over our impulses.
Living in brahmacharya means we have control over our impulses of excess, whether that’s in food,
sex, shopping , tv… anything. Whatever it is that we like to indulge in, lose ourselves in or obsess over…!
This applies to our Work as well.
Certainly a restful sleep re-charge our vital energy.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

On this Topic, some of the Veterans who had not been participating for LONG, have been attracted to offer their Comments / opinions, which analyses this most valid Topic of Less hours of sleep. A number of critical analysis has been made. Good .
But I feel simple things , especially common good for good/ sound sleep of 7 Hours is ideal for ALL . We should not be carried away by negative aspects , such as even those who sleep less do live healthy life Etc---. Universal fact is simple Each person has to ensure regular sleep of 7/ 8 hours ,to stay healthy & disease -free for long years, unless fall sick for extraneous reasons.
Let us encourage all our brethren to stive for min. sleep & feel active as you get up from Bed , no Anxiety ?
No one can deny this. Persons who have regular timing of going to Bed , win "

A.Srinivasan

I feel it is not a question of 7hrs' sleep, feeling relieved, enough sexual activity or things like that. To me it looks as though people who are truly contented with whatever station/comforts/circumstances have been sanctioned by fate/god/karmas, generally tend to live long; so also are people who are overly religious in one way or another during their able days, and, the people of this category tend to suffer a lot of neglect and frustrations because other people will not ordinarily act acoording to their expectations of maDi, AcAram, etc., once the person is bed-ridden. May be the invisible God is trying to demonstrate to such people that all their notions of maDi, AcAram, etc., were bogus!

It is not the invisible Gods who indicate that 'madi,acharam' are out of place.

it is our youngsters who are exposed to modern living who feel such things are unacceptable.

Lack of sleep alone cannot be the reason for the Massive heart attack.
My experience is over straining the body suddenly has caused heart pains/Breathing troubles on two occasions.
The first was in my college days, i participated in a long distance race ,in the last round i increased the pace and finished nearly 3rd (I could not touch the finish)from far behind,But for the next 15 minutes i had sudden pain in heart,gasping for air etc. Probalbly due my young age things went all right.
In the second case in Thiruneermalai hill, I wanted to keep pace with my Younger colleage and at the time of reaching the top I had some breathing trouble.
IMO less sleep alone could not be the cause of the Heart attack.
Alwan

LOL : Wine / drink…. in mild doses will give tonic effect; only in large doses it will give toxic effect.
The ability to have sex “even at advanced age is actually a symptom” of keeping sound health.
The value in life at advanced age, may not end in witnessing Radhe- Krishna dance and yarning.

LOL : Wine / drink…. in mild doses will give tonic effect; only in large doses it will give toxic effect.
The ability to have sex “even at advanced age is actually a symptom” of keeping sound health.
The value in life at advanced age, may not end in witnessing Radhe- Krishna dance and yarning.
The three Ws never do harm if enjoyed at any age in moderation . i tend to agree with your wise post .lol

will others agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back