• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Medium is doing away with passwords and its new method for logging in is very simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks silly! But simple! How did this idea evade us so long!

Medium is doing away with passwords - and its new method for logging in is shockingly simple

Cale Guthrie Weissman

Jul 1, 2015,

Companies are trying to stop using passwords because, in all honesty, they are just not secure. This has been exhibited time after time after time.

No one has figured out the best way to ditch the legacy password system. But Medium, a content publishing platform run by Twitter co-founder Ev Williams, is trying a new method that's a simple as it can get.

The company is now using email addresses instead of the usual screen name/password combination. It uses a process that's almost identical to what happens when someone loses their password. When a Medium user wants to log in, they enter their email address into Medium's site and then the site sends an email to the user. The user then clicks a link which automatically logs them in.

It seems like a shockingly easy way to log in, given all the new authentication methods bubbling to the surface.

Before, Medium users signed in via their social accounts. This new option makes it possible to use Medium without linking to things like Facebook or Twitter, and without the insecurity of password authentication.

The new log-in method is interesting specifically because it's so simple. The question is: Will it make Medium safer than other services from hacks?

http://www.businessinsider.in/Mediu...is-shockingly-simple/articleshow/47887565.cms

We are not far behind. Bank of Maharashtra has a 'mahasecure' utility which validates the device, say, desktop, when it is installed. Internet banking has to be enabled through this. Today, when I tried money transfer to another non BOM account, OTP was sent to mahasecure', for entering in internet banking. There was no need to copy the 7 letter OTP. Just clicking OK completed the transaction. I am now worried.

We are not far behind. Bank of Maharashtra has a 'mahasecure' utility which validates the device, say, desktop, when it is installed. Internet banking has to be enabled through this. Today, when I tried money transfer to another non BOM account, OTP was sent to mahasecure', for entering in internet banking. There was no need to copy the 7 letter OTP. Just clicking OK completed the transaction. I am now worried.

Device fingerprinting is great! But why did they ask for OTP in first place...You can seek clarification..A few days back while trying Fund transfer through ICICI Bank..It had remembered my log in credentials..I was surprised by this ...As OTP was there I went ahead with the transaction...Our Banks (Public or Private) have to be more careful as far as information security is concerned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back