• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gayatri Mantra - Meaning and Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunita

Prayer: Om Bhoor bhuwah swah, tat savitur varenyam Bhargo devasya dheemahi, Dhiyo yo nah pra-chodayaat

Meaning: God is dear to me like my own breath, He is the Dispeller of my pains, and Giver of happiness. I meditate on the supremely adorable Light of the Divine Creator, that it may inspire my thought and understanding.

Prayer: Om Bhoor bhuwah swah, tat savitur varenyam Bhargo devasya dheemahi, Dhiyo yo nah pra-chodayaat

Meaning: God is dear to me like my own breath, He is the Dispeller of my pains, and Giver of happiness. I meditate on the supremely adorable Light of the Divine Creator, that it may inspire my thought and understanding.
"God is dear to me like my own breath, He is the Dispeller of my pains, and Giver of happiness." This portion does not seem to be supported by the above Gayatri Mantra.

“O Effulgent, Infinite, Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being,
bless me with Right Understanding and Clarity of Thinking.”
- Gayatri Mantra (Rig Veda)

(Meaning by Swami Srikantanandaji
Personality Development Course V.I.H.E*)

*Vivekananda Institute of Human Excellence, Ramakrishna Math, Hyderabad

Very good Student of Vihe

Please keep it up

All the best

“O Effulgent, Infinite, Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being,
bless me with Right Understanding and Clarity of Thinking.”
- Gayatri Mantra (Rig Veda)

(Meaning by Swami Srikantanandaji
Personality Development Course V.I.H.E*)

*Vivekananda Institute of Human Excellence, Ramakrishna Math, Hyderabad

Ggayathrimanthra

Brahmanasandeesam a KBS bulletin from Wadakanchery, in their July 2010 issue gives the literal meaning of the Mantra:
O God! You are Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Almighty. You are all light. You are all knowledge and Bliss. You are Destroyer of fear, You are Creaoer of this Universe, You are the Greatest of all. We bow and mediate upon Your light. You guide our intellect in the right direction
The mantra, however, has a great scientific importance too, which somehow got lost in the literary tradition. The modern astrophysics and astronomy tell us that our Galaxy called Milky Way or Akash Ganga contains 100.000 million of stars. Each star is like our sun having its own planet system..................
The important point hinted in the mantra are;-
1. The total kinetic energy generated by the movement of galaxies acts as an umbrella and balances the the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence it was named as PRANAVAH (body 0f energy) This is equal to 1/2 MV2 (Mass of galaxies x velocity)
2. Realising the great importance of the syllable OM, the other later date religions adopted this word with a slight change in accent, Viz. Amen, Ameen.

Mani.T.V.S Trissur, Kerala

Brahmanasandeesam a KBS bulletin from Wadakanchery, in their July 2010 issue gives the literal meaning of the Mantra:
O God! You are Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Almighty. You are all light. You are all knowledge and Bliss. You are Destroyer of fear, You are Creaoer of this Universe, You are the Greatest of all. We bow and mediate upon Your light. You guide our intellect in the right direction
The mantra, however, has a great scientific importance too, which somehow got lost in the literary tradition. The modern astrophysics and astronomy tell us that our Galaxy called Milky Way or Akash Ganga contains 100.000 million of stars. Each star is like our sun having its own planet system..................
1. The total kinetic energy generated by the movement of galaxies acts as an umbrella and balances the the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence it was named as PRANAVAH (body 0f energy) This is equal to 1/2 MV2 (Mass of galaxies x velocity)
2. Realising the great importance of the syllable OM, the other later date religions adopted this word with a slight change in accent, Viz. Amen, Ameen.

Shri Mani,

I agree that the Gayatri mantra has a charm due to its use of the word "naH" meaning "us". It becomes a prayer on behalf of all and it is in this tone that the fame of Gayatri has been explained. But if you study the whole hymn (suktam III.62.1) you will find the first rik as under:

इमा उवाम् भृमयॊ मन्यमाना युवावतॆ न तुज्या अभूवन्
क्वत्यदिन्द्रावरुणा यशोवाम् यॆनस्मासिनम् भरथस्सखिभ्यः ॥

imaa uvaam bhr^mayo manyamaanaa yuvaavate na tujyaa abhUvan
kvatyadindraavaruNaa yaSovaam yenasmaasinam bharathassakhibhyaH ||
Meaning :

O Indra-Varuna ! Let not the prayers recited by us, who are wanderers, relating to you, extolling you, capable of attaining you, become offered to another deva who is your equal. Where is that food which you created out of your power for being given to us?

It looks, therefore, that the sukta relates to prayer for food during a time of famine or at least acute shortage of food, in search of which a group of people were roaming about. Hence the word "naH" in the Gayatri will also denote only that group, as the rik stood originally. That is its universality does not appear to be inherent in it but thrust upon it by later commentators.

The no-frills meaning of Gayatri will be:
We meditate upon the splendour of the Deva, Savitr^, who impels our intellect.
As regards the astronomical/cosmological details quoted by you, the correct position is as under:

1. Our Galaxy called Milky Way or Akash Ganga contains countless number of stars but no one can say whether it is 100.000 million of stars.
2. The stars are of different types and many of them may not be having planetary systems.

3. "The total kinetic energy generated by the movement of galaxies acts as an umbrella and balances the the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence it was named as PRANAVAH (body 0f energy) This is equal to 1/2 MV2 (Mass of galaxies x velocity)"-

This statement looks full of errors. First, mass X velocity may be KE but then what is "half MVsquared" (I presume this what you intended)? Again what has KE to do with such a cosmic scenario? If you think that the power of Gayatri mantra or the Deva savitr^ is moving the stars (and planets) at their speeds, what about the power which created them and gave the ability to shine?

4. " Realising the great importance of the syllable OM, the other later date religions adopted this word with a slight change in accent, Viz. Amen, Ameen."

"OM" is not a part of the original gayatri as it appears in the rigveda; it is a later addition and if it is added to the rik, it will alter the poetic metre from gayatri to a non-metric (without poetic metre) rendering.

Post #8 above-somehow the 'quote' portion appears twice and cannot be removed despite my best efforts pl.

Shri Mani,

3. "The total kinetic energy generated by the movement of galaxies acts as an umbrella and balances the the total energy consumption of the cosmos. Hence it was named as PRANAVAH (body 0f energy) This is equal to 1/2 MV2 (Mass of galaxies x velocity)"-

This statement looks full of errors. First, mass X velocity may be KE but then what is "half MVsquared" (I presume this what you intended)? Again what has KE to do with such a cosmic scenario? If you think that the power of Gayatri mantra or the Deva savitr^ is moving the stars (and planets) at their speeds, what about the power which created them and gave the ability to shine?

I realized the mistake in my above post #8. It should read as "half the mass X square of velocity may be KE but what has this KE to do with such a cosmic scenario?

I tried repeatedly to correct my original post but the site is not accepting any correction.

Shri Mani,

I agree that the Gayatri mantra has a charm due to its use of the word "naH" meaning "us". It becomes a prayer on behalf of all and it is in this tone that the fame of Gayatri has been explained. But if you study the whole hymn (suktam III.62.1) you will find the first rik as under:

इमा उवाम् भृमयॊ मन्यमाना युवावतॆ न तुज्या अभूवन्
क्वत्यदिन्द्रावरुणा यशोवाम् यॆनस्मासिनम् भरथस्सखिभ्यः ॥

imaa uvaam bhr^mayo manyamaanaa yuvaavate na tujyaa abhUvan
kvatyadindraavaruNaa yaSovaam yenasmaasinam bharathassakhibhyaH ||
Meaning :

O Indra-Varuna ! Let not the prayers recited by us, who are wanderers, relating to you, extolling you, capable of attaining you, become offered to another deva who is your equal. Where is that food which you created out of your power for being given to us?

It looks, therefore, that the sukta relates to prayer for food during a time of famine or at least acute shortage of food, in search of which a group of people were roaming about. Hence the word "naH" in the Gayatri will also denote only that group, as the rik stood originally. That is its universality does not appear to be inherent in it but thrust upon it by later commentators.

The no-frills meaning of Gayatri will be:
We meditate upon the splendour of the Deva, Savitr^, who impels our intellect.

UNQUOTE

Sri Sangom,

That was a good one.

It is interesting logic. We expect more like these from you.

Gayatri has as many explanations as different intellect can do. Usually ,it is the critics who find more meanings in apiece of art,literature, rather than what the original artist or writer would have even thought of . Similar is the case of Gayatri .

It may not be a successful exercise to explain on guessing and based on present day meanings of words ,the lines and slokas of earlier days. Many words would have undergone lot of changes in meanings as they were at those times.

Hence we cannot accede that x or y or z are the right . Just like we have different Upanishads, different sidhaantaas, different sutras, the explanations are many as per view of the interpreter.

It is this peculiarity which makes these writings( we may call them as sciptures,sastras,puranaas,itihaasaas or anything like that) subject to criticisms , and many get glory on interpreting one way or other. Thus they become classics and are handed down for thousands of years. But even then, there may be some core versions , which could have remained more or less veering around the same core, and it is better to accept that as base, and take the others for enlargement of knowledge.

But still they are fertile ground for human intelligence and logic.

Greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
In my view Rishi Visvamithrar Foung this Mantra as means of Gaining Confidedance when you find light afer staying in dark.The Dark creates fear (when primitive people liveed unprotected in forests),The Dayligt in the morning give him Joy,Hope and confidencs.The God of Light(Surya) is worsipped for this .
alwan

Gayathri Manthra

"God is dear to me like my own breath, He is the Dispeller of my pains, and Giver of happiness." This portion does not seem to be supported by the above Gayatri Mantra.
Diyaha - buddhi
Yaha - which
naha - mine
prachodayaath - invigorates
thath - that
savithuhu - my maker
varenyam - supreme
bargaha - brahman
devasya - with light
deenahi - i propitiate

Om - Pranava (comprosing of Aapthi - desire, Uthkarsham - effort taken to fulfill the desire, Mukthi - fulfillment of desire)
Bhoohu - generator,
Bhuvaha - organiser
suvaha - destroyer.

That supreme Brahman which has created me may improve my intelligence, I propitiate the same

Very interesting thread. Some years ago I had come across an article by Swami Chinmayananda mentioning that he got a copy of the commentary to Gayathri Manthra by Sri Adi Sankaracharya given to him at Devaprayag by a Pundit, which he had published in the article. Unfortunately I could not retrieve the same now. I request "Sri Sangom" or any of other members who know about the same to post the commentry in our Forum.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Very interesting thread. Some years ago I had come across an article by Swami Chinmayananda mentioning that he got a copy of the commentary to Gayathri Manthra by Sri Adi Sankaracharya given to him at Devaprayag by a Pundit, which he had published in the article. Unfortunately I could not retrieve the same now. I request "Sri Sangom" or any of other members who know about the same to post the commentry in our Forum.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore

Dear Shri Brahmanyan,

Gayatree-Sankara Bhashyamu, a Telugu book is available at

http://ia700208.us.archive.org/15/items/srigayatrishanka023779mbp/srigayatrishanka023779mbp.djvu

for free download. If some member knowing Telugu translates it into English and posts here, it will benefit many. I don't know Telugu.

Here is a copy of a text that I took from a book printed in 1950
GAYATRI MANTRA
YAJUR VGADE 36.3
= contradiction , = to make visible Therefore should mean contradiction of something which is visible, that is something which is not capable of being seen. Every quantum can be made visible with the help of one or the other scientific instruments. It is space alone which can be called invisible in the true sense. So can mean space. The number (3) after space should denote 3 dimensions, means circulation, which is periodic movement. The entire word should therefore, in the 1st plane, mean periodic movement in the 3 dimensions space. The modern scientist terms it as space time relationship. For the sake of correspondence we shall call it space circulation. Modern science informs us that space circulation gives rise to mass. So the word on the 2nd place or cycle should be capable of meaning mass circulation. Let us see whether it is capable of doing so. The letter also means finiteness means visibility and means circulation. Finite visibility most mean mass. So the word on 2nd plane does mean mass circulation. Mass circulation gives rise to mental phenomena. The physiologist can be cited as a witness. In the 3rd plane the word ought to denote mental circulation. The vowel also means sub – consciousness. Means projection also. So the letter should mean projection of sub – consciousness. Sub – consciousness is that party of consciousness which acts below the threshold of deliberation. It is really a force of reaction. Reaction is a wider term for contradiction. Contradiction can appear only in something which is finite. So it is in the fitness of things that the same letter stands fro finitness, contradiction and sub – consciousness. Projection of sub – consciosness implies mental phenomena. Therefore stands for mind and with the addition of it should mean mind circulation. Now we have got three bases namely (1) space circulation (2) mass circulation and (3) mind circulation or mental phenomena. The meanings of the words following should be related to each base respectively. The bases along with their off shoots should be arranged in am ascending order. After we have the word and others: -

1. = 3 dimensional space circulation.
2. = to commence = to balance = form
= to commence balanced form or to originate fixed volume. = to commence = to project = weight = nominative = one who rotates and creates weight = to originate rotating mass. = to originate rotating defined mass and volume.
3. = elastic = weight = nominative = one who creates weight = mass = elastic mass or elasticity.
4. = same = base + same base or homogeneous = association = opposite pairs = weight = to project = electric charge. Coming after meaning electricity should denote surface because electric quanta reside on the surface = discrimination = waves. Import = number after number should express correlationship and = should denote concept. = homogeneous association of electric quanta of opposite kinds with distinct wave length and correlated in numbers = atomic number elements.
5. = to originate = shape = rhythm, = space = rhythmic movement.
6. = to grant, to export, because it is preceded by the word grant, = associativeness = wander away. = to export out and to move in an associated way = to conduct or conductivity or potential difference.
7. = to centralize = to integrate (because it is preceded by centralization) ma = circulation or centripetal force or attraction = tendency = to disintegrate. = to centralize inside something which has disintegrated = insulation.
8. = tendency = constituting = to split up = space = to organize something in space in order to constitute new = conjunction or compoundation.
9. = to wander away = space = boundary or field = something which brings about motion which brings about motion in closed space = field of force.
10. pa = pressure, / = turbulence = axis = space, = to grant = to split up = all round, = base. = a base which is an axis or a cause of causing turbulent pressure and creates all round splitting up = emissive power.

Ist Cycle

In the beginning 1st the space beings to circulate in three dimensions. This movement orginates defined rotating mass and volume. From this arises elasticity which in turn reates atomic number elements. Out of them comes out rhythmic movement. This motion creates conductivity and insulation. Then conjunction or compoundation is born. Its birth creates a field of force. This force gives rise to emissive power. Note:- this is the physical interpretation of this Mantra and can best be understood by a student of physics.
1. = mass circulation (which arises out of emissive power)
2. = to originate changeable shape, = to originate visible mass = molecularity.
3. = automatic movement = discrimination = nominative = one who creates discriminated automic motion = automaticity or protoplasmness.
4. = same = base = same base or part of something, = instrument = tendency = discrimination = base = projection = form or shape. = an instrument which a part of something and possesses separate shape = mass = motion = to export = specialization = means correlationship as it is preceded by specialization. Similarly has been made to mean specialization as it is followed by, = a mass which creates correlated specialized movement. = specialization of parts of the body with different shapes and functions.
5. = to originate = shape = sex intercourse = space = to originate a shape fr sex intercourse = sex desire.
6. = conductivity which always projects out. It is a male function. = maleness.
7. = to insulate in. It is female nature. So should mean femaleness.
8. = conjunction. After male and female conjunction should denote pregnancy. So means pregnancy also.
9. = correlationship = space = boundary or zone = nominative = one who creates a zone for correlated activity. Our movements are a function of our body. So should also mean body structures. The bodily construction of different animals is different. That is why their capacities are different. A class of animals with a similar bodily structure is called specie. So : may also mean different specie.
10. pa = pressure = urge, / = turbulence = coordination = space = to grant = correlationship = all round = same or unchangeable. = urge to create all round coordinated activity without a material change or simply urge to create coordinated activity.

2nd Cycle

Mass circulation (of atoms) starts molecularly which in turn creates protoplasmness. This further gives rise to specialization of parts of the body with different shapes and functions. This creates sex desire. This desire orginates males and females. Then pregnancy comes into being. At this stage different species are born. After this, urge to coordinated or playful activity arises. Note:- this is the chemical and biological interpretation of this Mantra. Students of chemistry and biology wick stand better than others.
1. = mind circulation (which comes out of urge to coordinated or playful activity.
2. = to originate = change of shape = form = to commence = to project = discrimination = nominative, = one who originates discrimination by change of shape. A student of physiology will verify that it is the power of perception.
3. = automaticity = discrimination = nominative, = one who creates automatically discriminated ideas = self or ego.
4. = base = to associate = tendency = solid or fixed mass or fixed contents = base = projection = form or fixed outward relationship = base for associating inward fixed relationship = to diseriminate = waves = to import = numbers, = correlationship = concept = to discriminate in the series of numbers. = to make a distinction in a series of numbers for acceptance or rejection = to compare the utility of or to valuate.
5. = to originate a form for sex intercourse. Sex inter course is a limited case of interaction. Every life interacts with the environment. If there is danger at a certain place life runs away from it. On the other hand if there is hope of getting food at distant place animal runs to it. These two are examples of interaction with the environment. So should mean the act of arranging interaction with environment. We can put down simply interaction.
6. = conductivity = to export = growth = associativeness = splitting up, = growth of combination and separation taking place alternatively. A student of physiology may inform you that this process occurs in the excitation of our nerves giving rise to mental phenomena.
7. = insulation. On the plane of biology insulation is called inhibition. A standard book on psychology will give you an idea of extitations and inhibitions.
8. = tendency = centre = correlationship = space = tendency pf a centre to correlate in space = mental correlationship.
9. = field of force = bodily structure. In mental phenomena a field of force is called universe of desire. The reader should read books on electricity and ethics. After a perusal of them he will realize that a field of force behaves in the same way as a universe of desire. So = universe of desire.
10. = pressure + turbulence = urge = reflectivity = space. Reflectivity = imagination = to give = spheroid = all round = same or truth = urge to reflect on all what is given out by this universe and combine. In other words, it means the urge to realize the ultimate truth. The latter can be realized through rationality which brings about happiness or calmness. So the word should also mean the urge to realize the ultimate goal through rationality. Goals differ with individuals. Herein all goals are included.

3rd Cycle
Mental circulation brings about power of perception. The latter creater self or ago. The idea of relative valuation then arises, Interaction with the environment is then born. Excitations and inhibitions next begin to function in all lives. Mental correlationship then comes into ultimate existence. The universe of desire at this stage surrounds life. The ultimate products of this series of processes is the urge to realize the ultimate goal. This is the psyschological and ethical interpretation of this Mantra.

This Mantra therefore indicates that the universe is made to operate through a cycle of three phases. These cycles are functions of space, matter $ mind as bases. Space through the acquisition of material stage gives rise to active consciousness and which in turn gives the idea of space. So the cycles form a closed chain. If one has a close grasp of these cycles, he is in a better position to understand the inner working of this entire cosmos. These cycles can be arranged either in a serial order or can be expressed in three parallel lines. No person without an idea of the import if this Mantra is entitled to be called an Aryan. Lord Veda gives you self inspiration. The more you recite this Mantra the greater will be your attention on it and the better you will be able to follow its significance. The Mantras following this will be made to travel on one plane only. The remaining planes may be supplied by others.

Dear Sunita,

Gayatri Mantra गायत्री मन्त्र is most important of all mantras. Below it is read in sanskrit script.

Regards,
VPK

ॐ भूर भुवह् स्वह् , तत् सवितुर वरेण्यं भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि , धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात् ।।

Hi all,

i am Ramesh Vasan, settled in Delhi, while my parents & brothers are in Madras. i came to know about this site accidentally and glad to become a member. Let me be very frank and honest, so far i am not a devote brahmin although i don't eat non-veg including egg. Though i believe in God but don't visit temples or perform pooja. However, i would now like to learn & practice sincerely and in this respect will appreciate guidance from fellow members.

Thanks a lot,

Ramesh

This mantra will create vibrations in our body. I experienced this. Till to day I chanted a million and now chanting Brhma Gayathri. The vibration we get is too much that female can not with stand. Only experience will teach.

Could you tell us Gayathri mantra has be recited only by male or both Male and /female?

Smt. Janaki,

The orthodox view is that only those who have received "gaayatree mantra upadesam" thru' the upanayanam ceremony are entitled to recite that mantra. Orthodoxy is also clear in its view that women cannot chant any mantra which has even a distant connection with the vedic lore (i.e., the veda samhitas, the Brahmana texts, the Aranyakas, the upanishads, their commentaries and so on). But of late all these rules are being broken, sometimes by the heads of Sankara mutts themselves. So, I would say that if you "really" feel there is some benefit in reciting the gaayatree, go ahead and do it; but if it is just to add one more feather to your hat of mantras chanted daily, well, it will be just that - yet another feather.

Dear Smt. Janaki Ji,

During the Shukla Yajurveda Period, i.e. about 15000 years ago. during or before Lord Rama's Period, both males and females were having Yagnyobavitham i.e Cross Thread and both males and females learnt Vedas.
The Classic examples are Gaargi Vaachaknavi and Maithreyi. They had full knowledge of Veda scriptures and Upanishadhas and argued with Sages of the yore.
The best example is Brihadhaaranyaka Upanishadh in which Sage Gaargi Vaachaknavi argues with Sage Yaagnyavaglya about the Brahman (verse 8.1).

Hence it is to be assumed that both males and females had Yagbyobhaveetha DhaaraNam in yonder days.

Somehow the practice of females wearing Yagbyobhaveetham got erased in the later years. Perhaps the Male Dominance. This is the negative part of Sanaathana Sharma.

Thus it is found that people belonging to both the genders were well versed with Veda Shasthraas ans discussed in that regard.

Hence it seems there is NO HARM WHATSOEVER in females reciting GAYATHRI Manthra which is propitiating a female Goddess GAYATHRI. "GAAYANTHRAM DHRAAYATHI ITHI GAAYATHRI - The goddess who gives all to the Propitiator"

Pranaam.

Last edited:
Dear All,

All the 4 varnaas ie. Braahman, Kshathriya, Vaishya and Shoodhra were to wear Yagnyoabaveetha DhaaraNam i.e Cross Threads. This got erased over a period of time and now only Brahmins wear the Yagnyobhaveetha.

There is also a conclusion that both Males and Females had to wear Yagnyobhaveetham and somehow this got erased over the period.

Morevoer. a Brahmin has to wear the Yagnyobhaveetham in the Niveethi Style i.e. as a garland over the neck and not on any part of the shoulder - right or left. The same has to be worn on the Left shoulder "Samveetham" - during Deva Tharpanam, and on Right Shoulder "Praacheenaavetham" - during Pithru Tharpanam.

Even today many Brahmins in North - Uttarpradesh wear their Upanayanam in Niveetham (Garland) Style.

Last edited:
This mantra will create vibrations in our body. I experienced this. Till to day I chanted a million and now chanting Brhma Gayathri. The vibration we get is too much that female can not with stand. Only experience will teach.

Mr Ramacchandran,

You are absolutly right. I have been regularly chanting Gayathri Mantra since my Upanayanan and have felt the evenrgy evrytime I chant this Mantra.

Can you throw some light on "Brhma Gayathri". I would also like to learn it.

Thanks

Karthik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back