• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Gayathri mantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
harish bhimani

visit the following site you can contact him by email through this site
voice123.com/harishbhimani

There is scientific explanation for Gayatri Mantra in the following website

Gayatri Mantra

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

A story, as told by Paramaacharya, on Gayatri Mahimai

The following link is a real story, as told by Paramaachaarya, in his own words, quoted with due respect to the persons cncerned, on the mahimai of Gayatri Japam.

This link is in Tamil, as it is a quote. This explains the background of how Knnadian canal in Tirunelveli seemai came into existence, in addition to the mahimai of Gayatri Japam.

Tamil-English Web magazine for Brahmins

The following link is a real story, as told by Paramaachaarya, in his own words, quoted with due respect to the persons cncerned, on the mahimai of Gayatri Japam.

This link is in Tamil, as it is a quote. This explains the background of how Knnadian canal in Tirunelveli seemai came into existence, in addition to the mahimai of Gayatri Japam.

Tamil-English Web magazine for Brahmins

Thanks Soundararajan ji,

Good positing

Keep it up

All the best

i have a l.p. of jesudoss' gayatri mantra.

at my wife's yoga class, the white lady yoga teacher plays gayatri mantra as part of the exercise curriculum.

i am with ramanuja who bellowed it aloud to the world.

i am disgusted when i still get poonal invitations with a pix of kudumi father, whispering the mantra to his son, under the cover of a cloth.

even more sad, is the fact, that all my nephews, are being poonalled at great expenses (!) by their parents, only to hang the thread on the coat stand.

i can say that 100% of these youths do not know or say their gayatri or sandhyavandhanam or abhivaadhey.

... these are cross sections of our community... enough said about hypocracy.. times like these i think of nara :)

North Indians both men and women recite gayathri manthra loudly in temples. There is no more secrecy of the manthra as our community claims.

All the best

North Indians both men and women recite gayathri manthra loudly in temples. There is no more secrecy of the manthra as our community claims.

All the best

thank you venkat.

any guess as to why only TBs have this obsession against non TBs hearing gayathri... the last time i personally came across this, was in 1964 during my poonal, when my house vadhyar in no flattering terms of other communities told me never to utter gayatri loud.

the only reason i think the obnoxious practice is continued, is because of the pictorial reference in poonal invitations.

these are aspects which makes me cringe ....

i am with ramanuja who bellowed it aloud to the world.

There is absolutely no evidence that Bhagavat Ramanuja shouted aloud the moola manthram (Thiruvashtaksharam) from the top of the gopuram in Thirukkoshtiyur. This is a popular story, but very unlikely to be true.

First, I do believe Bhagavat Ramanuja was a revolutionary (it is possible with proper leadership) with a great heart -- no wonder Amuthanaar sang காரேய் கருணை இராமானுசா. But, he did not shout out the manthra aloud.

The hagiography of Sri Vaishnava acharyas written the closest to the times of Bhagavat Ramanuja has him going up the gopuram and calling out to everyone to come and that he will show the way to mOksham. Then, inside the temple, in front of the Nrisimhar sannidhi, he explained the hidden meaning of Thiruvashtakshra manthram. Even here, in a smomewhat private setting, he did not say the manthra aloud.

A small and may be unimportant detail perhaps, but here it is, this is what is in the records. How the story got embellished, I really don't know.

Cheers!

p.s. Mahakavi Bharathi translated Gayathri Manthram into a Tamil verse in Panchali Sabadam #153.

செங்கதிர் தேவன் சிறந்த யொளியினைத் தேர்கின்றோம் - அவன்
எங்க ளறிவினை தூண்டி நடத்துக

He had a fetish for sun gazing.

thank you venkat.

any guess as to why only TBs have this obsession against non TBs hearing gayathri... the last time i personally came across this, was in 1964 during my poonal, when my house vadhyar in no flattering terms of other communities told me never to utter gayatri loud.

the only reason i think the obnoxious practice is continued, is because of the pictorial reference in poonal invitations.

these are aspects which makes me cringe ....

Did not know this. As far as I have read all the first three varnas had upanayanam and hence gayathri. Only the shudras did not have upanayanam and gayathri. The fact that gayathri was not to be uttered loud probably has its basis on the sandhyavandanam mantra itself not being uttered loud while performing Sandhya. My personal understanding is the Brahmopadesam is the most important ritual of the Upanayanam. So the practice of almost whispering it into the ears of the boy so the boy takes it with full concentration and devotion. It is also symbolic of the fact that you are introducing Gayathri to the boy before Kama takes him over. Here kama signifies earthly desires and not lust. This is also the reason why the Upanayanam is performed before a prescribed age so Gayathri Devi can become a protection before kama starts dwelling in the boy. Honestly I never thought the Gayathri was held secretly by the brahmins.

anandb,

maybe times have changed now.

the gayatri has been described as among the most sublime of all our chants.

infact, when i heard jesudoss l.p. about 28 years ago, i was surprised that it could be chanted into a disc, by someone who is not even hindu.

so strong was the impression made to me by my family vadhiar during my poonul, when the poonul itself was put on me, with only my dad, vaadhiyar and self under the cover of a sheet.

all these things happened long ago, but the shadows cast were long and dark.

i strongly believe, that it is only right, that we have to share our best of KNOWLEDGE with our fellow hindu brethren.

it is the right thing to do.

what saddens me is that this particular vaadhiyaar was a trusted and well liked person, and in retrospect, when i realize the depth of the prejudice, that i am convinced, that he did not even think there was anything wrong in his views.

it depresses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back