• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The sadness of silence :Shiv Visvanathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Homelessness is a worldwide phenomenon. But this article was written in India, about Indian condition. It can apply to any city in the world.
[h=2]India is a society where the poor, the nomad and the abandoned are waiting for someone to discover their silence. Today, silence is the secret untold commons of a forgotten India and our democracy will come alive the day we decode the silence of our majorities. Then, that silence will move from impoverishment to life
[/h]
I still remember this old man who sits near the red light, poised precariously on a pavement. He is prematurely old. He looks beseechingly at you as the car stops. He does not beg, he does not speak. He sits silently, quietly, exploding with questions and still watches sadly as the car passes him by. My driver, a folk authority on Delhi, told me that there are hundreds of old people like this across Delhi. Their families don’t want them. They feel unloved. After a meagre breakfast, they leave home and spend the day sitting on pavements, watching people, tired with expectation and hope. Their eyes speak speechlessly. There are no tears. They watch with innocence. The driver said, “I hate red lights in a city. They remind me of the homeless, the beggars, the old. It is a stop for all the people we abandon and forget.” He uttered an obscenity which described the attitude of the city, a heartlessness which had no place for the defeated.

I probed a bit more. A few days later, a friend and I were driving around Kashmiri Gate bus stop in Delhi. It was night. Men were littered all over the pavements, asleep. They were covered in gunny bags. A few had patched up quilts and were shivering in the cold. My friend said, “Homelessness is a strange world of citizenship. Do you know these people have to pay land sharks to sleep on the road?” Many looked distraught, too tired to speak. Some lay drugged in tiredness. One or two slept with stray dogs which added to the warmth and possibly to the companionship. It was a nightly tableau across the pavements of Delhi enacted in silence. Silence does not merely claim the poor. Its census of untold stories includes the old, the unemployed, the widowed, the defeated in every niche of society.
The sadness of silence - The Hindu

Let us hope and pray modi's vision and sankalp of home, water, bijlee, education, skill and job for all is realized in a short time!

a very well written article by shiv.

we are forgetting our old and the infirm

is this the achhe din, we are talking about

a very well written article by shiv.

we are forgetting our old and the infirm

is this the achhe din, we are talking about

I am not too optimistic about this. I do not think Modiji is even remotely thinking about this issue. Homelessness is worldwide phenomenon. People are on the street fpr various reason. Mental health is a major cause. Of course poverty forces people on to street. The street people do not any champions, they do not constitute any vote-bank.
I do not think any government anywhere can solve this problem. Sometimes I wonder whether all street people even want it solved.

ache din does not mean modi.modi can only talk of achedin

street people are the least bothered who rules.

all they are looking for is a safe corner for night sleep without being run over by any vehicle at night.

a simple meal of couple of rotis with onion and salt.

when it gets cold during winter they light fires to keep warm..hope some voluntary agencies will give blankets.

delhi govt puts up a lot of night shelters for them

rainy season is equally bad for them. they try to stay under over bridges.

one is amazed at their survival instincts

This is what one of my acquaintances experienced..This happened in Chennai..There was an old man begging for alms...He collected a good sum...Soon a pair of husband, wife & kids landed & they pestered the old man to part with the money...They forcefully put their hands in his pocket and removed everything..Nothing left for him....He put his hand on his forehead & began weeping...This is the dark side of society...Is there any compassion left in society...The person who saw this has now stopped giving such handouts to beggars..Bitter side of life!!

shiv cannot write a single line without exposing his hatred for hindus, bjp and modi. He makes unfounded reference to muslim women raped in 2002, and they are silent. What a joke, with so much media noise on 2002 riots. His communist background and JNU mindset will not allow him to transcend his pseudo secular mind set. He has to be satisfied with 'the hindu' and ndtv panels.

shiv cannot write a single line without exposing his hatred for hindus, bjp and modi. He makes unfounded reference to muslim women raped in 2002, and they are silent. What a joke, with so much media noise on 2002 riots. His communist background and JNU mindset will not allow him to transcend his pseudo secular mind set. He has to be satisfied with 'the hindu' and ndtv panels.

Saranji,
Do you even understand what you write?
Is criticizing the Shiv, lessen the pain of homelessness? Do you think he is lying?
Instead of criticizing the messenger do you have any solution, because you are not helping.

Why don't you follow your pontification - "ignore my post if you don't agree". Obviously only others have to follow, who preaches is above that!!!

Saranji,
Do you even understand what you write?
Is criticizing the Shiv, lessen the pain of homelessness? Do you think he is lying?
Instead of criticizing the messenger do you have any solution, because you are not helping.

there are many mad magazine posters in this forum.

they do modi bhajan

any issue is reduced to hindutva.

if old people cannot find shelters ,those point it out are modi,bjp and hindu haters.

prasadji will be made part of the hindutva ,modi,bjp hating group to fix him.lol.

they do modi bhajan

if old people cannot find shelters ,those point it out are modi,bjp and hindu haters.

prasadji will be made part of the hindutva ,modi,bjp hating group to fix him.lol.

Thanks

post # 11:

Originally Posted by krish44

they do modi bhajan

Not so simple to indulge in some mutual back-slapping. As long as people selectively read and selectively quote from News Papers with anti BJP leanings, the replies will have to be given by pro BJP readers. The oblique reference to Ache din was nothing but a reference to Modi. The poster may say he was only using his sterling Hindi knowledge. But the cloak is too thin to hide anything. LOL.

Homeless destitutes is a problem. The problem exists because of neglect by the society as well as the neglect by the persons concerned also. I tried to help a person who was a destitute by offering him a lift to the night shelter in a nearby locality in the city. He flatly refused and abused me when i insisted. He said he was happy wherever he was. He wanted only money for buying some food and his pan parag. There are night shelters built by government in Chennai and the society is doing something to the destitutes to that extent. May be more is needed to be done. But that does not mean Modi should gird up his loins lift each destitute up and dump him in some destitute home. that is ridiculous. so ache din(as I understand) can come and yet we may have some destitutes roaming in the streets. It is an intractable problem.
We can only sympathise when it is a chosen option by the destitutes themselves.

Last edited:
I am neither pro modi or anti . I am pro myself.
I care the least about fanatics of any type.
the quality of destitute homes are too bad for any old person to stay.
even night shelters in delhi are the same.
they are occupied by homosexuals and drug addicts.
most prefer to sleep outside beneath railway bridges , flyovers etc.
many social organisations in delhi give them blankets and sometimes food .
many survive

I am neither pro modi or anti . I am pro myself.

The statement of the millennium. LOL.

I care the least about fanatics of any type.

Who is bothered and who asked?

the quality of destitute homes are too bad for any old person to stay.
even night shelters in delhi are the same.
they are occupied by homosexuals and drug addicts.
most prefer to sleep outside beneath railway bridges , flyovers etc.
many social organisations in delhi give them blankets and sometimes food .
many survive

It is an intractable problem because you can not provide separate enclosures for homos and separate shelters with drug outlets for addicts. You can nither build overbridges without enclosed space below. Nor can you hang them all. The homos and addicts also have a right to survive. LOL.

post # 11:

Not so simple to indulge in some mutual back-slapping. As long as people selectively read and selectively quote from News Papers with anti BJP leanings, the replies will have to be given by pro BJP readers. The oblique reference to Ache din was nothing but a reference to Modi. The poster may say he was only using his sterling Hindi knowledge. But the cloak is too thin to hide anything. LOL.

Homeless destitutes is a problem. The problem exists because of neglect by the society as well as the neglect by the persons concerned also. I tried to help a person who was a destitute by offering him a lift to the night shelter in a nearby locality in the city. He flatly refused and abused me when i insisted. He said he was happy wherever he was. He wanted only money for buying some food and his pan parag. There are night shelters built by government in Chennai and the society is doing something to the destitutes to that extent. May be more is needed to be done. But that does not mean Modi should gird up his loins lift each destitute up and dump him in some destitute home. that is ridiculous. so ache din(as I understand) can come and yet we may have some destitutes roaming in the streets. It is an intractable problem.
We can only sympathise when it is a chosen option by the destitutes themselves.

What Krishji wrote was in reference to post#2. That is where the reference to Modiji comes from.
I agree that we can not solve the problem of homelessness. As the OP very clearly states that it happens in all cities of the world.
In many of the cities it is charities and churches that help and support these homeless and destitute. Governments can not eradicate this problem. But In India some elderly are on the streets because the family does not want them. Which is newer phenomenon.

Last edited:
The statement of the millennium. LOL.

Who is bothered and who asked?

It is an intractable problem because you can not provide separate enclosures for homos and separate shelters with drug outlets for addicts. You can nither build overbridges without enclosed space below. Nor can you hang them all. The homos and addicts also have a right to survive. LOL.
your posts show a lack of sensitivity for the old

to say that they should share spaces with homos or drug addicts shows a certain mindset.

oldies did not knock on your door for sharing your home.

to make non chalent remarks about them is uncalled for at the least

your posts show a lack of sensitivity for the old

to say that they should share spaces with homos or drug addicts shows a certain mindset.

oldies did not knock on your door for sharing your home.

to make non chalent remarks about them is uncalled for at the least

Lo. The most respected intelligent being on earth is making a judgment. Accepted the judgment in all humility. What next? Thanks.

I intend to stop this conversation with this. I will not respond if you continue. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back