• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Some doubts regarding shiv ling pooja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
The following article appeared in THE NEW INDIAN EXPRESS,

Rules of Worship - The New Indian Express

If it’s a Shivling puja, you are doing, never put tulsi leaves on the Shivling. No pasteurised or packet milk and always use ice cold milk. No coconut water on the Shivling, but you may offer coconuts. Offer only white flowers—never kewda and champa as they are said to be cursed by Lord Shiva. Never put a kumkum tilak on the Shivling, although it’s fine for idols of Goddess Parvati and Lord Ganesha. Consuming whatever is offered to the Shivling is believed to bring bad luck, loss of money and cause illness. Always do jaldhara on any Shivling kept at home since it attracts negative energies

1. Most of the temples use onlhy packet milk. Is it wrong then?
2. Most of the temples offer coconut water to the shivling in tamilnadu, Is the article correct?
3. At karnataka kumkum is being mixed with water and abishegam is done to shivling. But this article says do not put kumkum tilak.
4. Lastly consuming the offerings, Does it denote the abishegam virtually being done to the shivling or the offerings made to the shivling like coconut and other prasadam? But I think in tamilnadu both are being done:?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

thanks

Attachments

• newindianexpress.com_lifestyle_spirituality_Rules-of-worship.pdf
    380.9 KB · Views: 180
Hi,
The following article appeared in THE NEW INDIAN EXPRESS,

Rules of Worship - The New Indian Express

If it’s a Shivling puja, you are doing, never put tulsi leaves on the Shivling. No pasteurised or packet milk and always use ice cold milk. No coconut water on the Shivling, but you may offer coconuts. Offer only white flowers—never kewda and champa as they are said to be cursed by Lord Shiva. Never put a kumkum tilak on the Shivling, although it’s fine for idols of Goddess Parvati and Lord Ganesha. Consuming whatever is offered to the Shivling is believed to bring bad luck, loss of money and cause illness. Always do jaldhara on any Shivling kept at home since it attracts negative energies

1. Most of the temples use onlhy packet milk. Is it wrong then?
2. Most of the temples offer coconut water to the shivling in tamilnadu, Is the article correct?
3. At karnataka kumkum is being mixed with water and abishegam is done to shivling. But this article says do not put kumkum tilak.
4. Lastly consuming the offerings, Does it denote the abishegam virtually being done to the shivling or the offerings made to the shivling like coconut and other prasadam? But I think in tamilnadu both are being done:?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

thanks

All things said in that article are correct, except that I have not heard of the Shivlingam attracting "negative energies"; but our elders used to prescribe that if there is a Shivalingam in the pooja, daily abhishekam with well or river water (not pond water) is a must at any cost. So people used to carry their poojas along with them on journeys or engage a trined brahmin brahmachari to perform the pooja daily, during their absence, and then offer Dakshina to him on their return.

Consuming the offerings as prasaadam (small quantities) is not disallowed but making it a full meal or tiffin is to be avoided. Nothing should be brought home from a Siva temple, including the sacred ash because the belief is that சிவன் சொத்து குலநாசம் (civaṉ cottu kulanācam) which means, anything belonging to Siva (or Siva Temple) will bring harm to one's kulam itself, if taken home or made one's own.

Only tender coconut water is to be used for abhishekam to any deity; coconut water is prohibited.

We don't put kumkum tilak to Sivalinga after abhishkam. But we put chandan pottu and over that put kumkum pottu. This is the practice even in the temples all over Tamilnadu.

I am have been worshipping narmada shiv ling for last 8 years, i just bathe him with water and apply chandan and kumkum and most importantly bilva leave. Use only white or yellow flowers , red flowers to be avoided.

It give me a immense engery after this ritual every morning

recite shiva astrotra , panchaskri , etc

i recite moola mantra

mahadeva devaya rudra murthaye hara hara shivaya namah very power ful think shiva as your guru and start this any saturday. Recite 108 times see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back