• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Help with family tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering whether someone can help me with a query re my family tree.

From an inscription (in Tamil) in the ancestral home of my great grandfather Kanapathipillai, it seems his father was PiramanarKandar, son of Piramanar Kovindar who was the son of Piramanar Kailayar. The inscription is located in a place called Kudathanai in Jaffna, Sri Lanka. My great grandfather apparantly wore a Kadukkan (ear stud) and Punool (a thread that is worn by brahmins).

I do not know much about the brahmin traditions etc. Can someone please let me know the significance of Kadukkan and Punool?

My great grandfather was born in 1892. Allowing approx 30 years for each generation, his great grandfather, Piramanar Kailayar might have been born around 1780. Anyone who might know the ancesters of this family?

I also read with interest the "gothras" that is related to Y chromosomes. This would probably mean my gothra will be the same as Piramanar Kailayar. Can someone help me research this further?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back