• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Chanting pranavam by ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HEARD FROM SOMEBODY THAT PRANAVAM (OHMKARAM) SHOULD NOT
BE SPELLED BY LADIES WHILE DOING ARCHANA FOR DEITIES. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS WAS TOLD IS THERE ANY THING WRITTEN IN
DHARMASATRAM THAT LADIES SHOULD NOT SPELL PRANAVAM OR IS IT FOLLOWED IN PRACTIE
PLEASE CLARIFY ME

WITH REGARDS
R SRINIVASAMURTHY:flypig:

Ladies have had no authority or permission to do anything with regard to the mantras, poojas, homas etc., except holding the darbha grass and standing behind her husband during certain religious functions. But all this has now changed and if someone told you that ladies should not pronounce "Om", then he belongs to the old set-up.

It is for you to choose which group you want to be in and whether ladies from your own family will obey your orders. These are days when in the name of women empowerment many things not permitted by our Dharmasastras are being jolly well done with abandon by most women while most of them also declare that they follow "aacaaram, suddham, etc.," very meticulously ;)

during archana ladies can tell om along with archana manthram. but ladies should not say om only . ladies are permitted to take panchaakshara japam, astaakshari and balai mantram and upti mahaa shodashi mantram. along with these mantras they can chant the first letter om. only sanyaasis are eligible to chant only om.

during archana ladies can tell om along with archana manthram. but ladies should not say om only . ladies are permitted to take panchaakshara japam, astaakshari and balai mantram and upti mahaa shodashi mantram. along with these mantras they can chant the first letter om. only sanyaasis are eligible to chant only om.

In the olden days (my maternal grandmother, I am referring to) the panchaaksharam for women was only the Panchaaksharam viz., Na-maH-Si-vaa-ya. Om was not allowed to be chanted by women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back