• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Kitchen at the Golden Temple Feeds up to 100,000 People a Day for Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Golden Temple

the-golden-temple-harmandir-sahib-amritsar-india.jpg

The Golden Temple (Harmandir Sahib), located in the city of Amritsar, India is a Sikh gurdwara (place of worship). It is the most well-known gurdwara and is considered a sacred place by Sikhs. It was first constructed in 1604 and was later rebuilt in 1764.

Located inside many gurdwaras are common kitchens/canteens known as a langar. At the langar, food is served to all visitors regardless of faith or background. Vegetarian food is often served to ensure that all people, even those with dietary restrictions, can eat together as equals.

The largest langar is found at the Golden Temple. It typically feeds roughly 40,000 people a day for free. On religious holidays and weekends, the langar can feed upwards of 100,000 people a day. This incredible feat is made possible through donations and volunteers. Below you will learn about the entire process at the Golden Temple from preparation to cleaning.

Read more from here:
The Kitchen at the Golden Temple Feeds up to 100,000 People a Day for Free «TwistedSifter

I visited Golden Temple & other famous Gurudwaras in Amritsar in Oct 2013 and was witness to the round the clock serving of food in Golden Temple and equally serving of food at the Other Gurudwaras in Amritsar and in my trip of 4 days I never encountered any beggar in Amritsar . I had food at the Golden Temple and it was simple dal , rotis and kheer and was good .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back