Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Performing Shraddham for Yourself

Namaskar all,

I would like to learn how one can perform shradham for one's own self. I have asked my priest, but he does not know how to do it in this manner. I have personal reasons why I am making this request, but I don't really wish to discuss them. Any information anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ganapathi Narayana
    royalphillie@hotmail.com

PS-I am not going to do the ceremony now. It is for future reference.
    Last edited by il_guy; 31-01-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear Sri Il_guy

Shrardam is a thanks-giving ritual done to one's fore-fathers and mothers after one's father's demise.

Hope this explains everything

Regards
    malgova.mango
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by il_guy View Post
    Namaskar all,

I would like to learn how one can perform shradham for one's own self. I have asked my priest, but he does not know how to do it in this manner. I have personal reasons why I am making this request, but I don't really wish to discuss them. Any information anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ganapathi Narayana
    royalphillie@hotmail.com

PS-I am not going to do the ceremony now. It is for future reference.
    Yes. There is a provision in the Dharmasasthra for performing shraddham for one's own self. But now only the Pundits in Gaya know the proper procedure. They do it only after being convinced of the reasons for doing it.

I know and heard of people who have done it.

You have to travel to Gaya for performing it.
    யாதும் ஊரே யாவரும் கேளிர்.

நச்சினார்க்கினியன்.
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear Sri il_guy

Namaskarams

What you have wanted to do is referred to as the Atma Pindam by some Pundits referred to by Sri Nacchinarkiniyan.

Here is what His Holiness Shankarachaya of Kanchi says on this subject:

Mr. S.R. Krishnan, Chennai.
    Q: Kindly instruct me the details and procedures for 'Atma Pindam'.
    A:There is nothing like 'Atma Pindam' and so the need to know about it, does not arise. Only 'Pindam' (ritualistic rice) can be offered to the 'Pithrus' (departed forefathers). Some unscrupulous Pandas/Pandits cheat the gullible public in the name of 'Atma Pindam'.
    (Answer given by H.H. Shankaracharya of Kanchi)
    excerpts from the website http://www.starteller.com/voice6.html

7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gurus have their own opinions. The Pundits in Gaya have been performing this ceremony for ages. As for as I am aware no other Guru/Acharya has expressed an opinion against this.

Dharmasasthras have over the ages covered all kinds of contingencies. The pundits in Gaya make enough money as it is. Most of the Pundits allover India including Tamil Nadu are called unscrupulous and are accused of cheating the gullible public.

Again many of the religious practices of the Pundits of the north are not accepted by the Tamil Nadu Brahmins. All the Brahmins do not follow the same Dharmasasthras.

The followers of Paramacharya should be aware of his opinion.

Again often in this forum Paramcharya's opinion is quoted as the final authority. But most of the Tamil Brahmins including a large number of Smartas do not consider his opinion to be the final authority. They have their own Gurus/Acharyas. Often this has led to unproductive discussions.

Added:

I had assumed that Paramcharya had said this. Then I was wondering because such terms about Pundits could not have been used by Paramacharya. I checked up the web site. This answer is said to have been given by Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal.

This is a commercial site promoting an Astrological Magazine of the Indian Express group.
    Last edited by Nacchinarkiniyan; 15-02-2008 at 07:32 PM.

நச்சினார்க்கினியன்.
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear Sri Nacchinarkiniyan

Namaskarams

The site has a question and answer page and a few questions were answered by HH Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal. At present the same site's questions are answered by HH Dayananda Saraswati Swamigal. The site may be commercial (even this is subjective as the question and answer page is a free service) but the answers are from the Acharyas.

If one follows the words of Acharyas one gains spiritually. It is one's own choice whether to follow or not. The Acharyas do not have any attachment to anything including as to whether their words are followed or not.

I have just drawn the attention to what the Acharya had said on the matter. I have not passed any view or opinion on the matter as I know nothing on the subject.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know of at least a couple of Vedic scholars well versed in Vedas and Dharmasasthras who have undergone this ceremony in Gaya. They went to Gaya specifically for this.

நச்சினார்க்கினியன்.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was checking up on the concept of Atma Pinda. Then I suddenly remembered that this is one of the rituals of taking Sanyasa. The Sannyasi offers Pinda to himself.

Many scholars take sannyasa during the final stages of life. I think this is called Abath sannyasa. I am not sure about the name. One of my uncles who was a renowned Sanskrit scholar took it.

The Gaya ceremony could have come out of this practice.

நச்சினார்க்கினியன்.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dear Sri Nacchinarkiniyan

Namasakarams

Yes. I did notice that when I posted the Shankaracharya's observations on this topic, I felt the Acharya did not want to specify that this is the one done at the time of assuming Sanyasa Ashrama. Therefore, I too didnot touch this aspect.

As to the Abath Sanyasa, this is what Sri Bhagavat Pada Aadhi Shankara took to, when the crocodile caught his leg and demanded that he take to Sanyas. He had no other go than to take to Sanyas. A voluntary sanyasa, in my little knowledge, doesnot fall in the category of Abath Sanyasa.
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    Level
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are so many types of Sannyasa. I have not been able to find a source giving all the types. The Sannyasa before death is not Abath sannyasa. It is Atura Sannyasa.

He who takes Sanyasa being compelled by the inviting death. For Atura Sanyasa, there is no rule or ritual.

I always thought that the Juddu, and Yagnopaveedam were removed at the time of Sannyasa. I find now that in many types they can be retained. There are 17 Upanishads (last known number. Could be more) dealing with Sannyasa alone. The Gaya ceremony could be a form of Sannyasa.

Are you are confused? I am. You are welcome to the confusion. Please read this article.

http://www.rkvenkat.org/samnyasa.html

Anyone going to Gaya could find out and let us know.

What we know is that it is done by Pundits in Gaya.

நச்சினார்க்கினியன்.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast