• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tamil Brahmin Relation names ( Iyer )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,
I'm a little confused on the relation names like who is a naathnaar and what is orpadi ? Also do we call Athai's husband and also Akkas husband as Athimber ? Not just these relations but I'm looking for relation names of almost everyone except the well known Amma Appa Thatha paati etc. Can someone help ? Trying to build a family tree so that my next generation knows better

Regards,
Anand

Hi there,
I'm a little confused on the relation names like who is a naathnaar and what is orpadi ? Also do we call Athai's husband and also Akkas husband as Athimber ? Not just these relations but I'm looking for relation names of almost everyone except the well known Amma Appa Thatha paati etc. Can someone help ? Trying to build a family tree so that my next generation knows better

Regards,
Anand

naathanaar is the sister/s of husband. so, only women can have naathanaar/s, not men.

orpadi is the wife of one's husband's brother. this is a generic name, but a woman (again, only women can have orpadi/s) usually addresses the wife of husband's elder brother as "manni" - just as her husband would also address his elder brother's wife, and the wife of husband's younger brother/s by name usually. I don't know the practice when the younger brother's wife is older (in age) to the elder to the woman.

athai's husband and akkal's husband are both called as athimbar. when occasion so demands, people indicate the correct position by saying "akkal purushan/aambadaiyan/aathukkaarar" or as "athai purushan/aambadaiyan/aathukkaarar".

naathanaar is the sister/s of husband. so, only women can have naathanaar/s, not men.

orpadi is the wife of one's husband's brother. this is a generic name, but a woman (again, only women can have orpadi/s) usually addresses the wife of husband's elder brother as "manni" - just as her husband would also address his elder brother's wife, and the wife of husband's younger brother/s by name usually. I don't know the practice when the younger brother's wife is older (in age) to the elder to the woman.

athai's husband and akkal's husband are both called as athimbar. when occasion so demands, people indicate the correct position by saying "akkal purushan/aambadaiyan/aathukkaarar" or as "athai purushan/aambadaiyan/aathukkaarar".

Though the relationship mentioned above are always followed by our community, in some families athai's husband is called 'athaan'. One's sister-in-law's( wife's sister) husband is called "Shaddakar". Could anybody throw some light how and who invented these relationship names?

If I remember correct, TBS Sir has a chart to denote all the relationships in Tambram community.

We can request him to post it here too! :cool:

Athai/Athimber's son is atthaan and daughter is atthanga.

Mama/mami's son is ammanji and daughter is ammanga.

Some old ladies said that orpadis are always quite against to each other and that is called 'orpadis kaichal'. My two daughter-in-laws are friendly to each other and i dont see any orpadi kaichal. what is this orpadi kaichal, could anybody explain about this. Why then there is no shaddakar kaichal?

But shaddagars are bum pals, help enthusiastically to enlarge their clan if ther are vacancies. I think there was a short story by devan how shuddagars work together to fix alliances and solve wedding related problems. Very funny story too. Another instance where male relatives are better than relative females!

Some old ladies said that orpadis are always quite against to each other and that is called 'orpadis kaichal'. My two daughter-in-laws are friendly to each other and i dont see any orpadi kaichal. what is this orpadi kaichal, could anybody explain about this. Why then there is no shaddakar kaichal?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Auh, As a guy should I address my Athai/Athimber son as A athan ?

Hope TBS sir posts that chart soon

orpadi. The wifes of the brothers are referred to as orpadi. Let us analyse. Or mean oru which in tamil means one. padi means step. so or padi means onestep which indicates the are related to each other like steps in the same hierarchy.

Nathanar.

My dad used to say often: 'There can not be two mistresses in a house!'

Hence 'Orpadi kAchchal' exists! :)

Note for Renu. Dad used the word 'mistress' in meaning 1 shown below! :cool:

mistress
noun

• 1. a woman in a position of authority or control.
  • ("she is always mistress of the situation, coolly self-possessed")

Namaskarams,

There is one more relation name = "Aththanmanni", being used in Mayavaram and Kumbakonam areas. How it is coined.

Anbudan
Adiyen

...... There is one more relation name = "Aththanmanni", being used in Mayavaram and Kumbakonam areas. How it is coined........
If aththai's son - aththAn - is elder to a person, his wife will be aththAnmanni to that person!

I have one ammAnji manni too! But I don't know what the wife of an younger aththAn or ammAnji is called! :)

If aththai's son - aththAn - is elder to a person, his wife will be aththAnmanni to that person!

I have one ammAnji manni too! But I don't know what the wife of an younger aththAn or ammAnji is called! :)

What if Athai's son's wife is younger to a person ? How do i address her ? Still Manni daan ah?

Namaskarams,

There is one more relation name = "Aththanmanni", being used in Mayavaram and Kumbakonam areas. How it is coined.

Anbudan
Adiyen

Atthaanmanni or Atthaamanni in usual parlance is commonly used among all tabras, I think. It is, as is evident, atthaan + manni and denotes the wife of an atthaan who is usually elder to the person concerned.

Atthaanmanni or Atthaamanni in usual parlance is commonly used among all tabras, I think. It is, as is evident, atthaan + manni and denotes the wife of an atthaan who is usually elder to the person concerned.
I don't think so, Sir! In our family circle, the elder aththAn's wife is called aththAnmanni.

One of Ram's cousins always calls me 'aththAmanni', fondly! Others add 'manni' as suffix to my name. :)

P.S: Since Ram's sisters call me 'Raji manni', their sons, daughters and grand kids also call me so! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back