• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Homams and their effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
By conducting Homams as suggested or advised by purohits will it be effective to ward off evil effects or doshams being noted in ones horoscope.How far it will be effective in all respects?

Please see here for my views on this point. I believe that each one of us is destined to enjoy some good times and also suffer some things, which are the results, respectively, of our past good and bad actions or Karmas. If at all there is any way of counteracting our bad karmas of the past, it can be possible only if we are able to know exactly what our bad karmas in the past were.

For example, if one had robbed another person's wealth due to greed, jealousy, etc., then may be he can reduce the bad effects of that Karma by being very generous, broad-minded, etc., now and becoming very charitable, benevolent etc. However none of us know how this 'crime & punishment system' works and so no guarantee will be given by any one.

But suppose one had killed another person for any reason, in the past birth, I do not think there is any easy way for atonement of that bad Karma's results. May be the affected person can donate blood, give cash donations to hospitals of good name, help people suffering from diseases to regain health in whatever ways possible, etc. Even then we cannot be sure whether the past sin of murdering can be completely eradicated. So, despite all such good actions the concerned person is likely to suffer harm.

Religion comes in and plays its role in such circumstances. It cultivates people's minds and thinking to believe whatever it propagates. Poojas, parihaarams, visits to particular temples, reciting specific slokas and worshipping particular gods/goddesses, etc., are then accepted implicitly by the followers but this majority belief does not necessarily make such beliefs into truth.

If one is going through some bad period and does not believe in poojas, parihaarams, temples, etc., then he has to patiently and stoically suffer the bad period; but another person who has belief in all the above items will usually spend all the bad period in trying to find resources and performing all those poojas, parihaarams, etc., but both will get out of the bad period only as fated and when fated. The poojas, parihaarams etc., serve as strong diversions for the worried minds. Thus, there is some kind of psychological benefit from these.

If ultimately, one such believer dies or does not come out of his bad period at all, the believing type of people usually do not bother about the waste of time, energy and money for having done all those parihaarams but immediately console themselves saying something like "kaDavuL cittam appaDiyirukku" or something like that.

Please see here for my views on this point. I believe that each one of us is destined to enjoy some good times and also suffer some things, which are the results, respectively, of our past good and bad actions or Karmas. If at all there is any way of counteracting our bad karmas of the past, it can be possible only if we are able to know exactly what our bad karmas in the past were.

For example, if one had robbed another person's wealth due to greed, jealousy, etc., then may be he can reduce the bad effects of that Karma by being very generous, broad-minded, etc., now and becoming very charitable, benevolent etc. However none of us know how this 'crime & punishment system' works and so no guarantee will be given by any one.

But suppose one had killed another person for any reason, in the past birth, I do not think there is any easy way for atonement of that bad Karma's results. May be the affected person can donate blood, give cash donations to hospitals of good name, help people suffering from diseases to regain health in whatever ways possible, etc. Even then we cannot be sure whether the past sin of murdering can be completely eradicated. So, despite all such good actions the concerned person is likely to suffer harm.

Religion comes in and plays its role in such circumstances. It cultivates people's minds and thinking to believe whatever it propagates. Poojas, parihaarams, visits to particular temples, reciting specific slokas and worshipping particular gods/goddesses, etc., are then accepted implicitly by the followers but this majority belief does not necessarily make such beliefs into truth.

If one is going through some bad period and does not believe in poojas, parihaarams, temples, etc., then he has to patiently and stoically suffer the bad period; but another person who has belief in all the above items will usually spend all the bad period in trying to find resources and performing all those poojas, parihaarams, etc., but both will get out of the bad period only as fated and when fated. The poojas, parihaarams etc., serve as strong diversions for the worried minds. Thus, there is some kind of psychological benefit from these.

If ultimately, one such believer dies or does not come out of his bad period at all, the believing type of people usually do not bother about the waste of time, energy and money for having done all those parihaarams but immediately console themselves saying something like "kaDavuL cittam appaDiyirukku" or something like that.

Mr.Sangom,

Thank you for your views. Can we take it as accepted norms that both who does or does not do any pariharams according to their decision will have the same psychological effects say benefits or no benefits. So we can conclude as you said "kaduvul chittam appadiirukku" As for me if you dont midunderstand me, actualy I dont believe in all these pariharams, and connected poojas etc., But my near and dears call me as "Naathikam". What am I to do?

Mr.Sangom,

Thank you for your views. Can we take it as accepted norms that both who does or does not do any pariharams according to their decision will have the same psychological effects say benefits or no benefits. So we can conclude as you said "kaduvul chittam appadiirukku" As for me if you dont midunderstand me, actualy I dont believe in all these pariharams, and connected poojas etc., But my near and dears call me as "Naathikam". What am I to do?

I also have no faith now in all such religious practices. But I stated the usual refrain which is heard in tabra circles, when something happens despite all the best efforts/steps taken to avoid such a bad thing from happening. I don't believe that there is any such god out there who dispenses favours and punishments to all these countless humans. It is a law and we enjoy or suffer in accordance with that unknown law.

I will suggest that you do not object to your near and dear ones doing whatever they want personally, and without extra expenses. You yourself concentrate on helping other people to the best of your financial and physical ability.

Namaskarams,

Dear Sangom Sir,

The "unknown law" which you are feeling is there is that one what we call as Supreme Judge, the God. You call it a law and others call it a God. Ultimately whatever is the fate that will happen. You cannot escape from the fate. Yes, by praying the God, the effects can be reduced. Even Mahaperiva also said the same thing.

Anbudan
Adiyen

Namaskarams,

Dear Sangom Sir,

The "unknown law" which you are feeling is there is that one what we call as Supreme Judge, the God. You call it a law and others call it a God. Ultimately whatever is the fate that will happen. You cannot escape from the fate. Yes, by praying the God, the effects can be reduced. Even Mahaperiva also said the same thing.

Anbudan
Adiyen

Shri Raaghavan sir,

When we look at it as a "Law", our expectation will be to go according to that law and not to become on the wrong side of that law. But, the moment we call it as Supreme Judge, God, who will be able to reduce the effect of fate, we start believing the religions. Religions are, in reality, marketing companies for god/s. And, if the god/s are powerful enough to reduce the effects of fate, it helps religion to advertise that by increasing your prayer, you will even be able to nullify or even reverse the effects of fate. There are many stories within religion to support such views. Ultimately, this wrong thinking is what makes people who earn money in most sinful ways, to donate huge amounts to temples and so on.

Mahaperiyava, obviously, could not have said anything against religion since he himself was a creation of religion. Hence, to cite Mahaperiyava's views in such matters is வேலிக்கு ஓணான் சாட்சி !

Can we(the entire family members join/gathering together) perform on an auspicious day a number of Homams, say, Ganapathi homam, Navagraha shanthi homam, Naandhi homam-( to invoke the blessings of our ancestors)-, Dhanvanthiri homam (to be hale and healthy), Ayush homam and Sree Sudharsana homam etc., all in a Big Homa kundam/Agni kundam, engaging well versed Acharya purushas/vaideekas/ Purohits, for the well being of the entire family members...P.S.Narasimhan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back