• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Any suggestions for good Brahmin names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear JS

There are many websites available, if you Google with the subject "Indian Baby Names" You will get tones of sites!!! with awesome names. Usually we refer to Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam for selecting names for boys and Sri Lalitha Sahasranamam for girls, there are plenty of beautiful and highly meaningful names are arranged in those Sahasranamams! I presume you should be knowing this. I am quiet not sure whether is there any specific naming convention for Brahmins, as you have specified you are looking for "Brahmins Name".

Anyhow i take this as an opportunity to give a bit from what is said in "Grihya Suthras" (If one does not know which 'Grihya Suthra' one belongs to they can follow Bodhayana Grihya Soothra) the below is from Apastambha Grihya Suthra (this portion is same in Bodhayana Grihya Soothra as well):

Grihya Suthra: Is collection of verses from Rishis which codifies the procedures and formulas one should follow to perform the rituals to be done during the Grihasthaashramam (From Birth, Marriage, until the last karma)
Every Vedam (Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharvana have its own Grihya Suthras). I am stopping here as this is a separate topic :)
[Grihya - Home, Suthra - Formulae]

Now as per the Apasthambha Grihya Suthra, 15th Kaanda, which is dedicated to the 'Jaatha Karma' explains a bit about how a name should be like: (Quiet complex unless one know Sanskrit well, understanding this portions is quiet difficult!). I will try to shorten and explain as easy as possible. Whatever said here are suggesting good names and its lakshanam, but not necessary to follow this strictly as a rule! It is your choice.

I. 2 or 4 letters which is formed in 2 padam (words) - Eg., GhoShree:, DhravinoDha:, GoPaal etc., if ended with visarg is very auspicious, 'visarg' is ending with ha sound, eg., how will you read Narayanaya Namah: the last 'Ha ' sound is called 'visarg' also called 'visargam'.

Or any name begining with 'su' upasarg is considered auspicious. eg., 'supathran', 'sumuhan', 'sudharsan', 'supriya', 'suseela' etc.,

II. According to Bhodhayana: Names of Rishi, Rishni, Devatha can also be named.

III. Girl baby names should be in odd numbers letters 'Otrai padai'. Eg., 'Parvathi', 'Rukmani', 'Kamala' (You need to write the names in Tamil to know whether these names are in Otrai Padai or Erattai Padai (Odd numbers or Even Numbers name)

IV. Girl baby name ending with long letters 'Nedil' is auspicious, (FYI: short letter is 'Kuril')

Regards
RV

Mr RVenkatraman:

This is great info, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

All:

All suggestions are welcome. I have pretty much Googled out for Indian baby names and have turned to this forum for some unique nice Brahminical names as I notice there are very smart people here.

JS

RVenkatraman said:
Dear JS

There are many websites available, if you Google with the subject "Indian Baby Names" You will get tones of sites!!! with awesome names. Usually we refer to Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam for selecting names for boys and Sri Lalitha Sahasranamam for girls, there are plenty of beautiful and highly meaningful names are arranged in those Sahasranamams! I presume you should be knowing this. I am quiet not sure whether is there any specific naming convention for Brahmins, as you have specified you are looking for "Brahmins Name".

Anyhow i take this as an opportunity to give a bit from what is said in "Grihya Suthras" (If one does not know which 'Grihya Suthra' one belongs to they can follow Bodhayana Grihya Soothra) the below is from Apastambha Grihya Suthra (this portion is same in Bodhayana Grihya Soothra as well):

Grihya Suthra: Is collection of verses from Rishis which codifies the procedures and formulas one should follow to perform the rituals to be done during the Grihasthaashramam (From Birth, Marriage, until the last karma)
Every Vedam (Rig, Yajur, Sama and Atharvana have its own Grihya Suthras). I am stopping here as this is a separate topic :)
[Grihya - Home, Suthra - Formulae]

Now as per the Apasthambha Grihya Suthra, 15th Kaanda, which is dedicated to the 'Jaatha Karma' explains a bit about how a name should be like: (Quiet complex unless one know Sanskrit well, understanding this portions is quiet difficult!). I will try to shorten and explain as easy as possible. Whatever said here are suggesting good names and its lakshanam, but not necessary to follow this strictly as a rule! It is your choice.

I. 2 or 4 letters which is formed in 2 padam (words) - Eg., GhoShree:, DhravinoDha:, GoPaal etc., if ended with visarg is very auspicious, 'visarg' is ending with ha sound, eg., how will you read Narayanaya Namah: the last 'Ha ' sound is called 'visarg' also called 'visargam'.

Or any name begining with 'su' upasarg is considered auspicious. eg., 'supathran', 'sumuhan', 'sudharsan', 'supriya', 'suseela' etc.,

II. According to Bhodhayana: Names of Rishi, Rishni, Devatha can also be named.

III. Girl baby names should be in odd numbers letters 'Otrai padai'. Eg., 'Parvathi', 'Rukmani', 'Kamala' (You need to write the names in Tamil to know whether these names are in Otrai Padai or Erattai Padai (Odd numbers or Even Numbers name)

IV. Girl baby name ending with long letters 'Nedil' is auspicious, (FYI: short letter is 'Kuril')

Regards
RV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back