• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Great Men Think Alike: about Wealth

Status
Not open for further replies.
boe-gold.jpeg

Queen Elizabeth viewing the Gold in the vault of Bank of England in London.

1.Wealth never remains stable with anyone but changes like the cart wheel—Tamil Book Naladiyar verse 2 about the instability of wealth.

2.Those who readily gave alms will escape the dreary desert path of Yama- Angel of Death--- Naladiyar in Tamil

3.Fortune coming to one and its departure are likened to the assembling of a crowd to witness a drama and its dispersal respectively---Tirukkural by Tiruvalluvar couplet 332

4.This is a world where a variety of actors come and go; be happy---Uraiyur Mudukannan Sathanar in Tamil Purananuru verse 29

5. If there were no poor seeking charity, this world of beauty and variety, will be like the stage of a marionette show—Tirukkural 1058

jqb_krugerrand_1ounce_pile.jpg

6. Wealth is like sand dunes or sand piles in the river made by floods. They appear and disappear; they are not stable (Nalvazi by Tamil poetess Avvaiyar)

7. Money can fetch you bread alone. Do not consider it as your sole end and aim (Great Hindu Saint Ramakrishna Paramahamsa)

8. Water always flows out under a bridge but never stagnates so money passes through the hands of the free, and is never hoarded by them (Ramakrishna)

9.Brains and wealth don’t go together: A certain man won million dollars on number 14. When asked how he figured it out, he said: ‘I had a dream. One night I saw in my dream a great big 9, and next I saw a 6, so I used my brains and figured that 9 and 6 is 14.’—Chicago multi millionaire Julius Rosenwald

10. The man who is always full of energy,
Who overcomes others easily,
Who in his speech scornful and haughty,
Is what he is, owing to the power born of wealth—Panchatantra by Vishnusarman in Sanskrit; Story of Winning of Friends, sloka 67.

gold-bars.jpg

Compiled by London Swaminathan; pictures are taken from various sites;thanks.

Sir,

Pranams,

When Yājñavalkya wished to divide his property between his two wives before starting the fourth Ashrama of his life, Maitreyi, his wife, asked whether she could become immortal through wealth. He replied that there was no hope of immortality through wealth and that she would only become one among the many who were well-to-do on earth. As she felt that possessing knowledge/wisdom is supreme, she thought she would better opt for it than her portion of wealth offered by the sage which will amount to owning lot of bags of
gold coins tied on the horns of cows won by the sage as prize for having excelled in intellectual endeavours.

With regards:)

Dear V Balasubramani

Thanks for presenting a very relevant anecdote. Apart from the philosophical discussion between the two, I was amazed at the knowledge and wisdom of women in those days.Not only wisdom, look at the division of property. He was ready to give it equally between the two wives Maitreyi and Katyayani. Hindu Women had more rights than many other ancient cultures.

Swayamvaram of Kshatriya women gave them more rights than men!! I wish I had 100 beauties in front of me waiting for my garland !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back