• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lyricist Vaali passes away

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

[h=1]
18TH_VAALI_1522340f.jpg

[/h]Lyricist Vaali, who secured a place on a par with Kannadasan at a time the latter strode like a colossus in the Tamil film music world, died in Chennai on Thursday evening.

Lyricist Vaali passes away - The Hindu

[h=1]
18TH_VAALI_1522340f.jpg

[/h]Lyricist Vaali, who secured a place on a par with Kannadasan at a time the latter strode like a colossus in the Tamil film music world, died in Chennai on Thursday evening.

Lyricist Vaali passes away - The Hindu

i think vali is a great poet.

but not on par with kannadasan. kannadasan had a wider and wiser perspective and was much more broad in his outlook. and skillwise too, kannadasan, outshone vali. i think so.

this is not to demote vali's greatness, but i think there was no need to compare with kannadasan. unnecessary. and wrong.

i think vali is a great poet.

but not on par with kannadasan. kannadasan had a wider and wiser perspective and was much more broad in his outlook. and skillwise too, kannadasan, outshone vali. i think so.

this is not to demote vali's greatness, but i think there was no need to compare with kannadasan. unnecessary. and wrong.

Vaali is certainly comparable to Kannadasan. Both of them were great poets. Vaali was in no way lesser than Kannadasan in his literary talents. Both of them had a weakness for alcohol. But then may be they looked for mind expansion-poor souls. Kannadasan started as an atheist mouth piece of DMK and converted to an acidic criticism of the same party. He became a believer and wrote poems in praise of Umai the presiding deity of his native place. Vaali was always a believer and produced some of the best literary works. I like vaali's capacity to write Venpaa in Tamil which is comparatively difficult task. Vaali was just great.

Poet Vaali was a great poet and a successful lyricist in the lines of Papanasam Sivan, Pattukkottai Kalyansundaram, Udumalai Narayana Kavi and Kannadasan in the Film music. He has left a great number of songs to his fans and listeners. His death has certainly makes a void in the Cinema music.
My prayers to Almighty to give strength to the family members of Vaali to bear this irreparable loss.
May his soul rest in peace.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

We are witnessing many film personalities , legends in music field passing away in quick succession in this year.Still 5 more months to go for this year to end and one shudders to think of the fate of other famous personalities who are in their ripe old age and ailing with age related health issues.

Last edited:
We are witnessing many film personalities , legends in music field passing away in quick succession in this year.Still 5 more months to go for this year to end and one shudders to think of other fate of other famous personalities who are in their ripe old age and ailing with age related health issues.

dear SS,

i am sort of intrigued by your statement, 'one shudders to think of other fate of other famous personalities who are in their ripe old age and ailing with age related health issues'.

pray forgive me sir, why are you shuddering about their fate? is it about death that bothers you? you might as well say it openly, instead of using innuendos, which sound frighteningly ominous. i too shuddered when i read you note, wondering what there was to shudder about at first, and then imagining the worst of calamities, and shuddered more.

then calmness set in, and i realized, that you are talking of death. it will come to all of us, sooner or later, and i think, we should all welcome it as a release from this world of sorrows and joys..

endless time has passed since the first human died. i saw my parents die. ditto for maternal grandparents. one minute they breathe, and the next, they dont. personally, my only prayer for myself and my beloveds, is a quick and easy death. whatever that happens, we dont know, but you may want to ensure that you recycle into another human(?) while some others may be salivating over the prospect of 75 virgins :)

dear SS, not to worry.. what will happen will happen. que sera sera. it is all beyond our control. ok? :)

For a person who sees the transientness of human life often in line of duty...I feel when anyone dies even if he is well known or unknown..talented or non talented..saint of sinner..human life is still a human life.

So it does not really matter if Vaali was talented or on par or even better or lesser than Kannadasan or anyone else...the fact remains that for each human life lost we can only pray for their souls to rest in peace...there are many people who die daily..we do not know any of them...every life has value not only the famous.

folks,

in this day and age, what is a good age to go?

70? 75? 80?

none of us would like to overstay our welcome as a guest in any household. i would imagine, that the same rules apply to planet earth, where we are but birds of passage.

what happens if we get sick beyond redemption and we are 70? can the society decide that we are a burden, and pull the plug on us?

or i am 90, and heldhy (umm healthy?) ..and the society, can it decide that i am a freeloader, and snuff me out (painlessly and unknowingly ofcourse)?

we have now folks in canada, who worked barely for 30 years and getting pension for 40+ years, and handsome ones at that too. someone has to pay for it, and is it fair to put this burden on the youth, who nowadays can barely get a decent job, let alone a decent salary. in canada.?

"Is there a man with soul so dead..................."

Human life always remains an unfinished beautiful painting.

Dear Sri Kunjuppu sir
Let me thank you for your response.
While myself being a senior citizen having seen deaths of my kith and kin in my life ,I am well aware of what you have rightly said that whatever is to happen will happen.That is the universal truth.No arguments on that.
The point which I wanted to bring out was this year appears to be very bad for elderly stalwarts in the field of music and films as there have been many deaths since the beginning of the year.Out of anguish of losing the veterans in such a rapidity I only wished that the remaning months pass off without claiming further casualities.

Last edited:
Poets, Artists, Musicians die. Poetry, Poems, Art, Music never die.

Death is imminent. Yet Death never dies.

Conquer the fear-of-death which is but an illusion. Lose to the joy-of-life which is TRUTH.

A couple of weeks back, happened to see the function of his book release - on Azhagiyasingar, telecast on Vijay TV here.

Sad to hear the news that he passed away, but that is life, a flicker of light braving the rough winds.

folks,

in this day and age, what is a good age to go?

70? 75? 80?

none of us would like to overstay our welcome as a guest in any household. i would imagine, that the same rules apply to planet earth, where we are but birds of passage.
Why should we get old and die?

Can we not migrate to some other planet, where everything else is all happy and sweet, to spend some time, say another 75 years, and then perhaps, hop on to another one? After all, space is endless, so no problem of overcrowding !

here is an outstanding tribute to vali from a fan A.Bala - copied from idlyvadai blogspot.

வாலி ஒரு மகா கவிஞன் என்பதைத் தாண்டி அவரின் மிகப்பெரிய சாதனையாக நான் கருதுவது, தனது கடைசி மூச்சு வரை தன்னை RELEVANT ஆக வைத்துக் கொண்ட தன்மையைத் தான். இறுதி வரை தன்னை புதுப்பித்துக் கொண்டே இருந்தார் என்று தான் கூற வேண்டும். அதனாலேயே, அவரால் எம்ஜியார் தொடங்கி தனுஷ் வரை ஹிட் பாடல்களை அள்ளி வழங்க முடிந்தது. கண்ணதாசனுக்கு அடுத்து அவரளவுக்கு மொழியை வசப்படுத்தி வைத்திருந்தவர் யாருமில்லை.

கற்பனை வளம், சொல் ஆளுமை (vocabulary), தமிழ் மேல் காதல் என்ற மூன்றும் அதீதமாக வாய்க்கப் பெற்றவர் வாலி. 15000-க்கும் மேல் பாடல்கள் புனைந்த அவர், தமிழ் பாடலாசிரியர்களில் சச்சின் டெண்டுல்கர்.

ஸ்ரீரங்கம் அருகே திருப்பரைத்துறையில் 1931-ல் டி.எஸ்.ரங்கராஜனாக் பிறந்து, சென்னை கலைக்கல்லூரியில் பயின்று, வாலி சில ஆண்டுகள் ஆல் இந்தியா ரேடியோவில் பகுதி நேர வேலை பார்த்தவர். சினிமா வாய்ப்புக்காக அலைந்த சமயத்தில், அவருக்கு உதவியவர்களில் குணச்சித்திர நடிகர் வி.கோபாலகிருஷ்ணனும், பாடகர் டி.எம்.எஸ்ஸும் முக்கியமானவர்கள்.

வாலி வார்த்தைச் சித்து விளையாட்டில் கை தேர்ந்தவர் என்பதை அனுபவபூர்வமாக உணர்ந்தவர் டி.எம்.எஸ். வாலி டி.எம்.எஸ்-ஸுக்கு ஒரு போஸ்ட் கார்டில் அனுப்பிய கவிதை, இசை வடிவம் பெற்று, டி.எம்.எஸ்-ஸாலேயே பாடப்பட்டு ”கற்பனை என்றாலும் கற்சிலை என்றாலும் கந்தனே உனை மறவேன்” என்று AIR-ல் பெரும்பிரபலம் அடைந்தது. ’அழகர் மலைக்கள்ளனாக’ ஆரம்பித்த வாலியின் சகாப்தப் பயணம் ‘காவியத்தலைவனாக’ முடிவுற்றதில் ஆச்சரியமில்லை!

எம்ஜியாருக்கு வாலி எப்போதும் “ஆண்டவரே” தான். எம்ஜியாருக்காகவே எழுதப்பட்ட ஹிட் பாடல்கள் தான் எத்தனை!

1. தரை மேல் பிறக்க வைத்தான்
2. மூன்றெழுத்தில் என் மூச்சிருக்கும்
3. நான் ஆணையிட்டால் அது நடந்து விட்டால்
4. கொடுத்ததெல்லாம் கொடுத்தான் அவன் யாருக்காக கொடுத்தான்
5. அங்கே சிரிப்பவர்கள் சிரிக்கட்டும் அது ஆணவச்சிரிப்பு
6. கண் போன போக்கிலே கால் போகலாமா
7. நல்ல பேரை வாங்க வேண்டும் பிள்ளைகளே

என்று அடுக்கிக் கொண்டே போகலாம்.

வாலி என்று தனக்கு நாமகரணம் செய்து கொண்டதற்கு அவருக்கு ஓவியர் மாலி மேல் இருந்த அபிமானமே காரணம். வாலியே ஓரளவுக்கு நன்றாக வரைவார். வசன கவிதையில் / பேச்சில் எதுகை மோனையில் அவரை விஞ்ச இனி ஒருவர் பிறந்து தான் வர வேண்டும். அவரது திரைப்பாடகளில் மட்டுமன்றி, அவரது கலகலப்புப் பேச்சிலும் ஒரு தன்னிச்சையான இயல்பு (spontaneity) இருந்ததும், அவரது பேச்சை கேட்கத் தூண்டுவதாக இருந்தது.
“ஊக்குவிக்க ஆளிருந்தா ஊக்கு விக்கறவன் கூட தேக்கு விப்பான்”

ஒரு முறை வாலி வீட்டுக்கு ஒரு பாம்பு வந்த விஷயம், நாளிதழ்களில் முக்கியச் செய்தியாக வந்து விட, பலரும் அவரை விசாரிக்க, ஒருவர் மட்டும் “உங்க வீட்டுக்கு மட்டும் ஏன் பாம்பு வர வேண்டும்?” என்று குசும்பாக கேட்க, வாலி தனக்கே உரித்தான பாணியில், “படமெடுக்கறவங்க எவ்வளவோ பேர் வராங்க, பாம்பு வந்தா என்னய்யா!” என்று ஒரு போடு போட்டாராம். பிறிதொரு சமயம், எம்ஜியார், வாலியை வெறுப்பேத்த, ”உலகம் சுற்றும் வாலிபன்” படத்தின் டைட்டில் கிரெடிட்ஸில், பாடலாசிரியாராக வாலியின் பெயரை போடப் போவதில்லை என்று சொன்னபோது, வாலி உடனே “அப்படி உங்களாலே படத்தை ரிலீஸ் பண்ணவே முடியாது” என்றாராம். எம்ஜியார் விடாப்பிடியாக, ‘பண்ணிக்காட்டறேன் பாருங்க’ என்று கூற, வாலி “அதெப்படி ’வாலி’ இல்லாம நீங்க படத்தை ‘உலகம் சுற்றும் பன்’ என்றா ரிலீஸ் பண்ணுவீங்க?!” என்றவுடன் எம்ஜியார் சிரித்து விட்டு வாலியை தழுவிக் கொண்டாராம்.

அய்யங்காரான வாலிக்கு மீன் குழம்பு பிடிக்கும் என்பது ஒரு பிரச்சினையே இல்லை. சிலபல சமயங்களில் கட்டாயத்தின் பேரிலோ (நட்பின் பேரிலோ!) அவரது அரசியல் சார்பு ஜால்ரா தான் சற்று அயற்சியைக் கொடுத்தது. ஆனால், அதிலும் இருந்த மொழி வளமும், சொல் விளையாட்டும் ரசிக்கத்தக்கதாக இருந்தது. எ.கா: ’ஏ.எம், பி.எம் பார்க்காத ஒரே சி.எம் நீ தான்’. வாலியின் (கலைஞருக்கு) ஜால்ரா கவிதை ஒன்றை இங்கே காணலாம்.

இந்தக் கவிதையிலும் (ஆண்டு 2007-ல் எமனிடம் இருந்து நீ என்னை மீட்டாய். அதற்கு முன் ஆண்டு 2006-ல் ஓர் 'உமனிடம்' இருந்து தமிழ் மண்ணை மீட்டாய்), இது தவிர ஓரிரு சமயங்களிலும், வாலி ஜெ.ஜெ-வை கிண்டலாக விமர்சித்திருந்தாலும், புள்ளி விவரங்களுடன் விமர்சகர்களுக்கு பதில் / விளக்கம் தரும் ஜெ.ஜெ, வாலி குறித்து எதுவுமே பேசியதில்லை என்பது குறிப்பிடப்பட வேண்டிய ஒன்று. அது போல, பெரும்பாலான சினிமா ஆசாமிகள் போல அரசியல் சூழலுக்கு ஏற்றாற் போல் வாலி ஜால்ரா தட்டவில்லை என்பதையும் சொல்லியாக வேண்டும். கருணாநிதி மேல் கடைசி வரை வாலி அபிமானத்துடனே இருந்தார்!

பிடித்த வாலியின் பாடல்கள் என்று பெரிய ஒரு லிஸ்ட் இருந்தாலும், சிலபல பாடல்கள் ஏதோ ஒரு தாக்கத்தை ஏற்படுத்தியுள்ளன.

1. வெண்ணிலா வரும் வேளையில் நான் விழித்திருந்தேன், என்னவோ கனவுகளில்...
2. மதுரையில் பறந்த மீன் கொடியை உன் கண்களில் கண்டனே
3. மல்லிகை என் மன்னன் மயங்கும் பொன்னான மலரல்லவோ
4. கண்ணன் ஒரு கைக்குழந்தை கண்கள் சொல்லும் பூங்கவிதை
(ஏழ்பிறப்பும் இணைந்திருக்கும் சொந்தம் இந்த சொந்தமம்மா, வாழ்விருக்கும் நாள் வரைக்கும் தஞ்சம் உந்தன் நெஞ்சமம்மா - மறக்க முடியாத சரண வரிகள்)
5. வளையோசை கலகலகலவென கவிதைகள் படிக்குது
6. காதோடு தான் நான் பாடுவேன், மனதோடு தான் நான் பேசுவேன்
7. ஒன்னை நினைச்சே பாட்டு படிச்சேன் தங்கமே ஞானத்தங்கமே
8. ஊரைத் தெரிஞ்சுக்கிட்டேன், உலகம் புரிஞ்சுக்கிட்டேன் கண்மணி என் கண்மணி
9. வாழ்வே மாயம் இந்த வாழ்வே மாயம்
10. அம்மா என்றழைக்காத உயிரில்லையே
11. காலையில் தினமும் கண் விழித்தால் நான் கை தொழும் தேவதை அம்மா

வாலி பாடலின் ஒவ்வொரு வார்த்தைக்கும் முக்கியத்துவம் தருபவர். “சீனத்து பட்டு மேனி உந்தன் சிட்டு மேனி” என்ற உ.சு.வா பாடலுக்கு, பல்லவி வரிக்கு முன் ஒரு சொல் இருந்தால் நன்றாக இருக்கும் என்று யாரோ பிரியப்பட, வாலி “செஞ் சீனத்து பட்டு மேனி உந்தன் சிட்டு மேனி” என்று பல்லவியை ஒரு நொடியில் அழகாக்கி விட்டார். வாலிக்குப் பிடித்த பாடல் குறித்து, ஒரு பேட்டியில், ஒரு வரலாற்றைப் பதிவு செய்த வகையில் அமைந்த கண்ணதாசனின் “நிலவைப் பார்த்து வானம் சொன்னது...” பாடலை வாலி பிரமிப்புடன் குறிப்பிட்டு இருக்கிறார். அப்பாடலில் வரும் “புதியதல்லவே தீண்டாமை என்பது
புதுமை அல்லவே அதை நீயும் சொன்னது
சொன்ன வார்த்தையும் இரவல் தான் அது
திரு நீலகண்டரின் மனைவி சொன்னது” என்ற சரண வரிகளை நினைவு கூர்க!

வாலி கண்ணதாசன் மேல் பெருமதிப்பு வைத்திருந்தவர். சமீபத்தில் வாலி பற்றிய சந்தக்கவிதையாக எழுதப்பட்டதில் “கண்ணதாசன் கொடி அகற்றி கண்ணதாசனை வென்றாய்” என்பதை ஏற்றுக் கொள்ள வாலி ஒரேடியாக மறுத்து, பின்னர் அவ்வரிகள் “கோடி கோடி கனவோடு கோடம்பாக்கம் வந்தாய்; கண்ணதாசன் கொடியோடு கொடி நாட்டி நின்றாய்” என்று மாற்றப்பட்டது.

எண்பத்து ஒன்று வரை தமிழ் எழுதி
கண்பட்டும் நிறைவாகவே வாழ்ந்த பின்னும்
மண்பட்டு உன் உடல் போகையிலே
புண்பட்டுப் போனாளய்யா தமிழன்னை!

என்று அவருக்கு உரித்தான ஸ்டைலிலும், “ராஜனுக்கு ராஜன் எங்க ரங்கராஜன் தான்” என்ற அவரது தசாவதார பாடல் வரிகள் வாயிலாகவும், வாலி அவர்களுக்கு அஞ்சலியை சமர்ப்பிக்கிறேன். அவரது விஜயத்தால், பரமபதம் இப்போது கலகலப்பாக இருக்கும் என்று நினைக்கிறேன்!

dear SS,

i am sort of intrigued by your statement, 'one shudders to think of other fate of other famous personalities who are in their ripe old age and ailing with age related health issues'.

pray forgive me sir, why are you shuddering about their fate? is it about death that bothers you? you might as well say it openly, instead of using innuendos, which sound frighteningly ominous. i too shuddered when i read you note, wondering what there was to shudder about at first, and then imagining the worst of calamities, and shuddered more.

then calmness set in, and i realized, that you are talking of death. it will come to all of us, sooner or later, and i think, we should all welcome it as a release from this world of sorrows and joys..

endless time has passed since the first human died. i saw my parents die. ditto for maternal grandparents. one minute they breathe, and the next, they dont. personally, my only prayer for myself and my beloveds, is a quick and easy death. whatever that happens, we dont know, but you may want to ensure that you recycle into another human(?) while some others may be salivating over the prospect of 75 virgins :)

dear SS, not to worry.. what will happen will happen. que sera sera. it is all beyond our control. ok? :)

K,

Your above lines remind me of the following lines from one of my verses:

இறப்பு கதவைத் தட்டும்

- புன்சிரிப்புடன் திற;

புதிய வானில் பற!

By the way, I wrote an eulogy for Vaali. Here it is:

உலகுக்கு நீ வாலி - கவிஞன்

உன்னுள் தமிழ் வாவி!

உழைப்பா லுயர்ந்து லாவி()

உன்னால் மகிழ்ந்தது புவி!

வாலிபன் வயதில் பாதி - உன்

வார்த்தைகளில் தெரியும் சேதி

வைணவம் தந்த தாதி

வையகம் கண்ட பதி !

திரையிசைப் பாடல்கள் - எட்டுத்

திக்கெங்கும் பரவியது;

திருமண் இலக்கியமும்

திகட்டாத திருக்கண்ணமுது!

பொருள் நிறைந்ததுன் வரி - இழப்பால்

பொங்கும் துயரில் வலி;

பொறுப்புடன் காட்டினாய் வழி

பொதிகை உச்சியிலென்றும் வசி !

Last edited:
Kunjappu sir,

Excellent lines about Late Shri Vali. Thanks for posting the same in this.

Venkat K

Every poet is great in his own style and in his time, and thus comparisons becomes irrelevant. Of course, what if they are stalwarts, stalwarts go. One more person of proven merit and contemporary of Kannadaasan, was Pattukkottai Kalyanasundaram who was snatched away by death too early.

A song written by Sri. Vali was tuned to Valaji rAgam and now very popular.

You can find the lyrics and audio links
here

May the great soul rest in peace. :pray2:

P.S:
Bombay Jayashree has sung in her melodious voice but the lyrics are wrong in CharaNam.

'nai' replaced by 'nE' and 'pAvalar' replaced by 'pAvaiyar'!! :dizzy:

Aug 13, 2013

DEATH OF VALI

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, HE WAS A VERY ORDINARY CINEMA POET. HE HAD VERY

CLEAR TWO SIDES. ON THE ONE SIDE, HE POSED HIMSELF AS A SECULARIST. BUT ON THE

OTHER, HE WAS A VAISHNAVITE FANATIC. SOME OF HIS SONGS CAN VERY WELL PROVE THAT.

THE SONG HE HAD WRITTEN IN THE FILM 'KASATHAN KADAVULADA' ABOUT LORD SHIVA

IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HIS FANATIC NATURE. THE SONG WAS A CHEAP AND HIGHLY

THIRD RATED ONE. BUT NO ONE CONDEMNED THIS FELLOW FOR COMMITTING THAT

CRIME, SINCE HIS FOREHEAD SHOWED HE HAD FAITH IN GOD.

DURING 60s AND 70s HE WAS NICKNAMED AS 'VASANA KAVIGNAR'.

I EXPECT COMMENTS FROM MEMBERS.

THANKS

S CHANDRASEKARAN

Aug 13, 2013

DEATH OF VALI

AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, HE WAS A VERY ORDINARY CINEMA POET. HE HAD VERY

CLEAR TWO SIDES. ON THE ONE SIDE, HE POSED HIMSELF AS A SECULARIST. BUT ON THE

OTHER, HE WAS A VAISHNAVITE FANATIC. SOME OF HIS SONGS CAN VERY WELL PROVE THAT.

THE SONG HE HAD WRITTEN IN THE FILM 'KASATHAN KADAVULADA' ABOUT LORD SHIVA

IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF HIS FANATIC NATURE. THE SONG WAS A CHEAP AND HIGHLY

THIRD RATED ONE. BUT NO ONE CONDEMNED THIS FELLOW FOR COMMITTING THAT

CRIME, SINCE HIS FOREHEAD SHOWED HE HAD FAITH IN GOD.

DURING 60s AND 70s HE WAS NICKNAMED AS 'VASANA KAVIGNAR'.

I EXPECT COMMENTS FROM MEMBERS.

THANKS

S CHANDRASEKARAN

chandru,

you will probably rile up a few vaishnavites in this forum :) who will threaten to complain about you to praveen. :)

..... you will probably rile up a few vaishnavites in this forum :) who will threaten to complain about you to praveen. :)
Not only Vaishnavites Kunjuppu Sir!

Anyone who likes Vali's lyrics will be offended! :sad:

The song I have posted (koovi azhaiththAl kural koduppAn) is about Lord Murugan. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back